Author Topic: Birth/Death Donald Mitchell  (Read 6273 times)

Offline tmjennie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth/Death Donald Mitchell
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Looking for proof of birth & death of Donald Alexander Mitchell.  Supposedly born 1895 in Elgin, Moray.
Not really sure of this as his mother Catherine Mitchell had lived short time in US and returned to Scotland shortly before his birth if 1901 census is correct. Donald married  Evelyn Bannerman and I was able to find her death but not Donalds.
Thank you for reading my query.
Mitchell, James & Catherine McKenzie Moray,Scotland, descendants
Mitchell, Donald & Evelyn Bannerman Moray, Scotland, descendants
Mitchell, James & Mary Ann McIver,Moray, Scotland, descendants
Mitchell, John  Edinburgh,Scotland, son/grandson of Donald & Evelyn Mitchell,descendants

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Death Donald Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

Have downloaded the birth entry.  Got to take a boy to school - shall post details here on return.

Regards,   Steve

b. 23 Feruary 1895 to Catherine Mitchell (M.S. McKenzie and James Mitchell - General Labourer).  Informant signature -  mother Catherine Mitchell.

Address:  34 Maycroft, Elgin.  (my best guess   :O)

There is no middle name of Alexander on the entry, but between 1893 to 1897 in all of Scotland there were only 13 Donald Mitchells born.  Only one in Egin - and in 1895 at that.  It would appear that he must have added the midle name for reasons known to himself.

Marriage of Catherine and James  down as March 18th 1881 in Elgin.

Have you any ida when/where Donald died.  Was his wife a widow at the time of her death.

If you send me a pm with your e-mail address I'll forward the entry (just click on the green scroll next to the babys face....)
~~~~~~~~------------------------------
Just back off the offical govt website at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (a pay per view site).

Only one Donald Alexander Mitchell dying in all of Scotland between 1901 and 2006 - he died in 1973 aged 70. That's as much info as can be gleaned online.  However the age might possibly be wrong?  (In Scotland you can only download death entries online up till 1956).

1973 MITCHELL DONALD ALEXANDE  M 70 NEW KILPATRICK /EAST DUNBARTONSHIRE 507/00 0218

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Looks as though the DA Mitchell who died in 1973 wasn't 'yours'

as:

1903 MITCHELL DONALD ALEXANDE M MARYHILL GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 622/01 1362

Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline tmjennie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Steve,
Now not sure as to Donalds death, could be the age is wrong and the 1970 death is still the correct one.  Does the death by any chance list wife or parents or children names?  That could narrow it down for sure.  Just a thought even though a slim one.

tmjennie
Mitchell, John  Edinburgh,Scotland, son/grandson of Donald & Evelyn Mitchell,descendants

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello

Unfortunately for the DA Mitchell death in 1973- the only info you can view online is what I posted, but I think it ties in with the 1903 birth, and therefore would not be 'your' one.

You advised by pm that Evelyn Bannerman died in Elgin - I'd have thought that 'your' Donald would have died in either Moray or Aberdeenshire.  Cannot find a death in Moray or Aberdeenshire at present.  Are you aware if he served in WWII? and or survived it?

Have you tried the Libindex datbase for Moray?  Type in the word Libindex in Google and there is extensive free info there.  Shall go and have a quick look now.

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

Just been there - Evelyn is there as spouse of Donald Mitchell (no middle name of Alexander for him).  No sign of Donald on Libindex though -only 7 Donald Mitchells on it and none him.

Regards,   Steve

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Also taking the liberty of posting this message which you've posted elsewhere in the hope that some 'chatters' may make a connection.

"I am searching for living family of Evelyn (Bannerman) Mitchell (b.1894, d.1985) and Donald Mitchell (b.1894/5).

They were married in December 1925, Renfrew. I believe Donald was still alive when wife Evelyn died.

Donald's parents were Catherine (McKenzie) Mitchell (d.1942, Elgin) and James Grant Mitchell (d.1906 in Minnesota, USA).

Donald's siblings were John, James and Kate (Katherine). Katherine married William Taylor and moved to Canada. I believe John and James stayed in Scotland. The three also had a half-sister, Jennie/Jane who was born in Scotland, then lived and died in Minnesota"

The message above which I've just found, indicates the birth entry which I've forwarded is the correct one.

Regards,   Steve.  :O)

The only problem is where did he die?

Offline tmjennie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 September 08 00:12 BST (UK) »
Steve,

Most all of the info you wrote about, I am the one that orginally posted it with Ancestry.com. Its nice to know that people are finding it.

I do not know if Donald had served in WWII though I have researched it on Ancestry.
Yes, I have been using Libindx for my searches.  That is where I obtained info on many of the family members and also where I sent for newspaper death notices and applications for the poor, etc.
As far as the Alexander in Donald's name, I did find it in records somewhere but does not necessarily mean it is.

I do appreciate all your help in my putting together some of the members of the Catherine and James Mitchell family of Scotland. 

tjennie

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 September 08 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

So back on to SP and a scotlandwide search for Donalds death from his marriage year of 1925 to 2006 - birth year 1895.  Brings up only 2 hits

1941 MITCHELL DONALD     M 46 TOWNHEAD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/06 1308

1943 MITCHELL DONALD     M 48 SERVICE AND WAR RETURNS /MINOR RECORDS 154/AF 0059

I downloaded the first entry - it definitely wasn't him, so possibly the second one.   Can't be viewed online on SP. 
Regards,   Steve :O)

~~~~~~~~-----------------------------
Just back off the link below

Found 'your' Donalds death

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2484584

If you click on 'Certificate',  it'll allow you to print off a cert with the war memorial details where he is commemorated.

He was serving as a Leading Seaman on HMS Itchen which was sunk on 23 Sept 1943.

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship.html?shipID=3079

(As an aside - do you have your family in Scotland further back than the marriage of James and Catherine in 1881).

Offline tmjennie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:37 BST (UK) »
Steve,
You must be a pro at finding people, I'm amazed how quickly you find answers for me.  You can tell I'm a novice at this.  I appreciate it so much all that you have found for me.  We are planning a visit to Scotland next year at this time so the more I know about family the more personal the trip will be.

As far as my info on family before 1881 marriage of Catherine and James its minimal.  Catherines parents were John McKenzie and Jane McKinzie. Catherine had a daughter out of wedlock in 1876 of which a fellow chat room visitor found proof of that daughters birth for me.   James parents were William Mitchell and Jessie Polson.  Being I do not have records of eithers birth I cannot be sure of this. I did find that one of Donalds brothers, James went to Canada for a time where he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force.  He did return to Scotland where his wife and children were.

When researching this family I have realized what a mark our lives make in the world and hopefully
my mark will be of some meaning to my family and/or others.
tmjennie  :)