Author Topic: The Times - 1844 - stolen goods.... COMPLETED.  (Read 876 times)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
The Times - 1844 - stolen goods.... COMPLETED.
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
In the 28th March 1844 edition of The Times it was reported that one person was charged with robbing his employers of patent medicines ( Bow Churchyard area) and that two others were charged with receiving the same. The three men were William Perry, Benjamin Eglinton and Peter Jordan.

Mr Alderman Hughes committed them for trial but he was willing to give them bail.

When I was able to search The Times I could  never find anything further on this case and wondered if someone would be able to take a look for me in The Times and see if they can find mention of a trial at a later date and whether the men were sent to prison.

I do not know in which Court they would have appeared
before Mr. Alderman Hughes.  Any ideas welcome please.

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Times - 1844 - stolen goods....
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 14:44 BST (UK) »
The court appears to have been Guildhall, taking a closer look at the article.  I'm not sure where to get those records - definitely separate from the Old Bailey.  According to a PDF on the http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/ about Sessions Records, both Sessions of the Peace and Petty Sessions appear to have been held at Guildhall.  CLRO, also the National Archives and possibly the LMA might have records.

I can't find anything else on the Times.

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11
However, a Benjamin Eglinton arrived into Tasmania in 1844 on the Lord Auckland. On the same ship was a Peter Jordan. (No Mr Perry!).
They departed England 20 Jul 1844, so the case must have been wound up by then.

Also on this site it shows that Benjamin Eglinton left Tasmania in 1851, having apparently finished his (seven years is fairly common) sentence ('free by servitude). He was headed to Sydney but could have been headed onwards elsewhere from there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello jorose

Thank you so much for all you have told me.

Peter Jordan is the fellow I am interested in and it seems he too was on the ship Tasmania bound with Benjamin Eglinton.

You have given me a lot of avenues to follow  - I had reached a stalemate on this and really appreciate your help.

Thank you again.

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 08 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again jorose

Just wanted to let you know that I have been into the web-site you told me about. I guess you have had those ' eureka ' moments and I had one when finding the information on Peter Jordan.

Can't think why never thought of him being transported so many thanks for your guidance.

I correspond with a lady in Perth, W. A. who also has an interest in Peter Jordan.

Thanks to you those eureka moments will be spreading around the world.........