Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 74501 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #171 on: Monday 30 November 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
If they were British Home Children there may be details at http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/Pages/home-children.aspx

They were - they're both in the database

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!

And Arthur, too.

I notice that Arthur's record contains a reference to the Catholic Emigration Association - but not the girls.   Perhaps boys would have been more popular/wanted for this type of migration?

Given that the extended family in Leeds was massive (William had 8 siblings) and nearly all of them married, it's a wonder these children were not cared for by the Uncles and Aunts.  Unless of course, in marrying Kate Burke, William became a Catholic and created a schism in the family?  Just a thought.

My Leeds grandfather became a Catholic in order to marry his first wife.  She subsequently died and I'm descended from my grandfather's second wife - with not a sniff of Catholicism anywhere since.

Neil (Easby)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Going back to Harriet/Henrietta Lillian/Lydia Carver born Wrestlingworth 1854 - I agree with you that this is most likely the same person, I certainly haven't found a second candidate. Harriet is a short form of Henrietta so maybe the reformatory used the longer form of names regardless of whether that was actually the correct name. As for Lillian/ Lydia, there are some mentions online of Lydias known as Lilly and maybe this was the case with Harriet. Or she could have just married as Harriet Lillian rather than Lydia for reasons lost to us. My great grandmother was born, appeared on every census, on children's birth certificates, and died as Hannah but married as Mary Ann!

Interesting further Canadian rambles

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Not been able to find out anymore about Rose & Nellie but I have found some more on Arthur with other Carvers now entering the fray.

1921 Canadian census: 699 Queen's Avenue, London, ONT: Arthur Carver, lodger, 30 [? guess], married, b. England; both parents English, arrived Canada 1906, Canadian citizen, Anglican, labourer; Agnes Carver, lodger, 23, married, b. England, both parents English, arrived in Canada 1913, Canadian citizen; Ernest Carver, lodger , 8 months, b. Ontario, 1920., both parents English.

Whilst the year of arrival in Canada is specified, for ages only a number is given.  As for the  relationships, the location has several other lodgers and although ADC state 'Head' for Arthur, looking at the actual entry close-up it does indeed say 'lodger' too.   The obvious inference to me is that Arthur married Agnes (also from England) and they have a son, Ernest.

Electoral Roll info on Arthur from Sarnia (where Arthur is buried), Lambton West, Ontario:

1957 - Arthur Carver, retired, 893 Hagle Street.  At same address: Mr Robert Carver (technician) & Mrs Robert Carver (housewife)
1962 - Arthur Carver, parking attendant, 205 Victoria Street North.  At same address: Dollie Ferguson.
1963 - Arthur Carver, janitor, 205 Victoria Street North.  At same address: Dollie Ferguson, Gladys Lawrence,
1968 - Arthur Carver, retired, 205 Victoria Street North.  At same address: Dolf Jacques (ret), Edra Laughlin (ret).

There is an ARTHUR CARVER who sails from Liverpool to Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard Empress Of Britain arriving 25th Feb 1919.  Returning home after war?   

Neil (Easby)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 18:01 GMT (UK) »
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Saturday 02 January 16 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all (and especially Marg)

Re: MARY MELLEN (b. abt 1883)

You may already be aware of this but here goes...there is a passage for a MARY MELLEN, aged 27, nurse, aboard the Saturnia (Donaldson Line) departing Glasgow, 11th June, 1910, bound for Montreal.   

That bit is new to me.  My notes inform me that on the 1930 US census, Mary stated she was a nurse, 45, and born in 'England', as were her parents.   Mary's age for the Atlantic crossing is entered in the column for 'Scotch' and 'Single, or unaccompanied by husband and wife'.

Hope this is useful,

Neil (Easby)

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello and Happy New Year to all

I am confused about Jane Carver, daughter of Young Carver and Mercy Bird, who was baptized in Wrestlingworth, Bedfordshire, June 17, 1835.  Maybe we have discussed her and I just have not paid attention or maybe it is a result of the meds I am on for my knee operation, but where has she been between the time she was baptized in 1835 and 1871 when she is on the census with her mother Mercy who is a widow and a pauper.  Her brother Alfred is head of the house and Jane, unmarried, is a servant.  She is also on the 1881 census of Wrestlingworth, unmarried, 48, and a grocer.  Her brother Alfred, 39, also unmarried is a Wheelwright.  Jane is head of the house which is a greens shop.

What am I missing here?

Marg
Carver....Bedfordshire and Leeds Yorkshire
Schofield....Hunslet and Leeds Yorkshire
Oliver...Hardingstone and Roade Northampton
Dutch and Hornsby....Bethnal Green and Spitalfields, London

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 06:21 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 she's a 28 year old servant born Wrestlingworth living at St Peters Green, Bedford
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all and happy New Year

I have an old thread about Jane daughter of Young and Mercy, still none the wiser as to where she is in 41/51

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=235940.msg3182091#msg3182091

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale