Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 74897 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #153 on: Monday 05 October 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

I think the David you have found in 1871,  despite age being out a bit, birthplace being Beds rather than Cambs and wrong marital status, is still likely to be the right one. There certainly doesn't appear to be another candidate and being a lodger could explain the wrong information. I wonder what happens to his wife though? There is a Margaret Carver Head Married Lodging house keeper born Ireland living in Newcastle in 1871 - no husband so I wonder? I can't find what happens to her.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Monday 05 October 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
All interesting stuff.

My wanderings have taken me inadvertently over to Northumberland now - not for David Carver but back to 'our mysterious Jane Carver'.

There's a 17-yr-old Henrietta Lydia Carver at the Stannington Reformatory School on the 1871 census.  She's not an 'inmate' but a 'servant' (how did she get here?).  Crucially the entry for her states her birthplace as Wrestlingworth.

I've looked for any such person born around 1854 - no Henrietta can I see.  But I can see a Harriet Lydia Carver.  There is a BMD birth for her in Oct 1854 and a Wrestlingworth baptism on 29th Oct 1854.   On the baptism only the mother is stated - Jane Carver.   Could this be our mysterious Jane?   She would have been 22 at the time and this 'bastard' child might explain why Jane never subsequently married or to whom/where she's moved away to?   

I also note that the scales incident of 1874 you uncovered is only three years away from the 1871 census and could such misdeeds be literally, related at all?   I.e. - might the dodgy mother's track record sleight-of-hand weaknesses explain how a Bedfordshire Carver girl (her daughter) ended up in a reformatory in Northumberland and that perhaps our H. Lydia went there as an inmate first and then stayed on?

How the plot thickens.

Cheers,

Neil (Easby).

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Monday 05 October 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
Interesting that this possible daughter of Jane is in Northumberland - if the Margaret I found is David's wife she could have initially gone  to work in the lodging house? Puzzles galore!

Thread for more on mysterious Jane here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=235940.msg1293452#msg1293452

I think Harriet is daughter of Jane Carver (d of William and Hannah) who married Joseph Gue in 1860 - they have a 6 year old Harriet Gue daughter with them in 1861. So perhaps even more likely she went up to Northumberland if I'm right about Margaret.

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 15:34 BST (UK) »
I have a lead on the Jane Mackison who married Joseph Carver out in Queensland in 1868.  The Jane Carver who subsequently died in Queensland in 1878, her parents were stated as John McKerson and Janet Stirling.   

There's a record in the "Scotland, Select Births And Baptisms, 1564 to 1950" which names Janet Stirling and then lists a spouse John Mackison.   It also references an Andrew Mackison.  Alas, that's all I can see.  I don't know what year it is, nor where the event occurred other than Scotland.  I can't even be sure what the triumvirate's relationships truly are.

Any ideas?  Help anyone?

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

I have found the following:

Jean Mackieson Born 27 Oct 1815 Baptised   19 Nov 1815 Stirling, Scotland Parents John Mackieson  and Janet Stirling
James Mackieson Born 16 Jul 1818 Baptised 26 Jul 1818 Stirling, Scotland Parents John Mackieson and Janet Stirling
Andrew Mackison Baptised     6 Dec 1835 Stirling, Scotland Parents John Mackison  and Janet Stirling

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Thursday 08 October 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
Encouraging, in that at least the period is rightish, even if there is no smoking-gun Jane.  And there is a logical 'hole' in the offspring where a Jane might occur and be old enough to be striking out on her own and I note John Mackison is a seaman and the family does seem to disappear at the right time.  I can see Stirling Jane Mackisons on the Scotland census, including one born the same year as Joseph.   Close, but no cigar as yet, is another way of putting it.   After much head-scratching, I've decided to park this for now.   Ta muchly for the info.

Moving along the line a bit...new to me is a candidate in Canada for the eldest grandson of Emma Carver (1832-1910 b. Arrington and sister of Joseph).  His name is Isaac William Darts (b. 1888 in Romford(Barking)).

I could not find him anywhere after the 1901 census in the UK and then found this:
Isaac W Darts (lab), departed Liverpool 19 Jul 1906 on board the Virginian (Allan Line) for Quebec, Montreal, Canada.   Would have been 18.   Note: the S S Virginian picked up the distress calls from the Titanic (1912).

I then lost Isaac again but had the idea he might have opted to be called 'William' instead of 'Isaac' (I know I would).  This is what I found:
1916 Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Alberta census: William Darts [transcribed as Barts], b. 1888, 28, England; immigrated 1906 - resident 2310 4th St, West, Calgary.  Nationality: Canadian.  Origin: English.  Religion: Salvation Army.  Occupation: Odd Jobs.  Wife: Annie, 31, b. Ireland, Immigration year: 1909, Irish.  Nationality: Canadian.  Origin: Irish.  Language: English.  Charles, son, 1, birthplace: Alberta.

Alberta births, marriages and deaths seem almost non-existent so I focussed on the voter rolls, finding this:

1940 ER Thirteenth Avenue West, Calgary - Darts, Wm, labourer; Mrs. Wm; C.Darts, labourer.

In addition, following our 'Calgary Charles' through the years...is ER evidence that Charles Darts starts as a labourer and becomes an engineer/plumber. 

There is a Charles William Darts obit for 27th Nov 1992, in an Alberta newspaper (death stated as 25th Nov 1992).

ER 1945: Engineer, Calgary (30)
ER 1957: Engineer, Calgary (42)
ER 1958: Plumber, Calgary (43)
ER 1962: Plumber, Calgary (47)
ER 1965: Plumber, Calgary (50) as CHARLES W.
ER 1968: Plumber, Calgary (53)
ER 1974: Plumber, Calgary (59)

Supporting evidence here is that Isaac named his son Charles William, the name of his own father who was the son of Emma Darts nee Carver (married Isaac Darts as Emma Dimmock in Wrestlingworth, 1860).

I've only seen the obit index ref which includes its own reference to a Catherine.  Charles William Darts would have been 77 on his death.   No further info on Annie Darts found by me.

Cheers,

Neil (Easby)

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Sunday 11 October 15 12:05 BST (UK) »
A couple of websites my investigations into the Canadian Darts have uncovered:

http://www.dartshill.ca/index.html
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/vancouversun/obituary.aspx?n=francisca-darts&pid=162145289

The Edwin Darts referred to I believe to be my 3rd cousin, 2 times removed and descended from Emma Carver (1832-1910)

Cheers,

Neil.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Sunday 11 October 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
Interesting Canadian rambles, you've been having.

On Family search there are death certificates for:

George Darts single, occupation Farmer, born Wrestlingworth Jan 1870 son of Emma nee Carver and Isaac Darts. Died in White Rock City, BC 1959. Emigrated to British Columbia 1898.

David Darts married to Matilda Crompton, occupation Farmer, born England April 1872 son of Emma nee Carver and Isaac Darts. Died in White Rock City, BC 1962. Emigrated to Canada 1893, in British Columbia from 1894

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Sunday 11 October 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
I believe Fanny Darts (sister and a cook) also went to Canada.

b. Oct 1867 Wrestlingworth; d. 21 Jul 1910 in Sardis, B.C.  Died as a 'Darts'. 

Cheers,

Neil (Easby)