Author Topic: WITHEROW Co DERRY  (Read 5900 times)

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WITHEROW Co DERRY
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 21:04 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help?  Iam trying find the parents of John Witherow. I think he was born in Kilrea in 1889.  He had a younger brother called William (known as Willie) who farmed at Laragh until about the 1960s. Willie was married to May. John came to England around 1912 and probably signed the Covenant in London where he married the same year. There were probably some other siblings, but I dont know their names. Thank You  ama
Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WITHEROW Co DERRY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:37 BST (UK) »
Possibly William and May Witherow-
A William Witherow m.1920 Co. Derry to Mary McIntosh.

Some Witherows in Garvagh area who might be connected:

John Witherow, Coolbane died 5 July 1905 age 80, sister Isabella died 10 Aug.1903 age 77 (buried old 1st Garvagh Presbsyterian Church)

Garvagh War Memorial- served- Corporal J. Witherow:
James Witherow, Lancashire Fusiliers, also on Boveedy Presbyterian Church Roll of Honour. Born 7 July 1886, bapt. Boveedy Presbyterian Church, son of John Witherow and Matilda Barrett.

John Witherow, Coolbane, executor of will of John Moon of Garvagh.

Griffith's Valuation (1859):
John Witherow, Bellury, Desertoghill Parish
John Witherow, Cuilbane, Desertoghill Parish
Robert Witherow, Inshaleen, Errigal Parish
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info. I have used the Bann Valley website, but the info about William's marriage might be useful, that would be the correct timescale.   I am finding Irish connections very difficult to ascertain with any certainty.   ama
Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 08 12:19 BST (UK) »
Bann Valley site is full of errors.

From PRONI Will extracts:
-Isabella Witherow, spinster, Coolbane, d.10 Aug.1903 (gravestone in 1st Garvagh)
-Nancy Witherow otherwise Jane J. McConnell, Garvagh, spinter, d.29 Jan.1910 at Castlerock (not sure what the story is with the 2 different names)

1912 Ulster Covenant lists several Witherows at Coolbane: Annie, George R., John Edward, Joseph. There may be others there but PRONI site was down last night and today it's not completely right yet (says 38 Witherows signed Covenant but will only display 30 of them).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 12:29 BST (UK) »
Have finally gotten PRONI site to give my more results for Covenant (not sure if I got them all).

William Witherow, Killygullib signed at Boveedy
John Witherow Jnr. Killygullt, Kilrea (should be Killygullib) signed in London

(you can view the actual signatures on the PRONI site)

Looks like Killygullib and possibly Boveedy Presbyterian Church will be places to search. However, no Witherows listed in Killygullib in Griffith's Valuation (1859) so they might have lived somewhere else earlier.

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
 I am pretty sure John Witherow jnr. signing in London is the one I want. From that I suppose his father's name was also John. Not very imaginative ! I think you are right about the family living somewhere else earlier. A definite connection with Willie farming at Laragh would be helpful. Thanks for your help. ama
Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 September 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
In Ireland Jnr. in someone's name doesn't mean he was the son of Snr. My husband is known as Jnr. and his uncle is known as Snr.- both named after their grandfather/father but my husband was named after both grandfather's so his 1st name is different from unlce's and grandfather's although he is called by same name as uncle which is really his 2nd name.
Also, say Thomas Smyth was born in 1800 and had a son named Thomas Smyth in 1840 and a nephew Thomas Smyth born 1835.
Thomas (1800) is Snr. and Thomas (1835) is Jnr. Thomas (1800) dies and nephew Thomas (1835) becomes Snr. and Thomas (1840- son of Thomas) becomes Jnr.

Back to Covenant details- though John in London was yours so it looks like the William in Killygullib could be connected- possibly brother Willie later at Laragh? Have a friend that would know most of the old families around Laragh and will ask him next time I see him.

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 September 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the explanation of family names. I would appreciate it if you could ask someone for me who is in the area. I last came over in 1967. By then Willie and May were retired from farming and lived in Coleraine. They both died within the next 10 years, but I dont have any dates.   ama
Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 September 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Mulberry Gardens, Coleraine by any chance?