Author Topic: WITHEROW Co DERRY  (Read 5899 times)

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WITHEROW Co DERRY
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 September 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
I have no idea of the address in Coleraine. We did visit them there in 1966/67 but I could ask a relative who may be able to dig out an old address book. Just from curiosity, what made you come up with that address?  ama
Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 September 08 23:29 BST (UK) »
Not to worry about it. Just found a M. Witherow in an old phone directory and wondered.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 September 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
Have interrogated friend who knows area around Laragh 50+ years ago and this is what he remembers.
Thinks Witherows came from somewhere else.
Willie Witherow had small farm at Laragh. Wife May was very house-proud. Her sister was married and lived nearby- neither couple had any children.
He's not sure where Witherows were buried. Thinks they might have been connected to Main St. Presbyterian Church but not 100% sure about that.

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 September 08 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for info. Every little helps when trying to piece peoples lives together. Something else I just remembered was that one of Willie and John's brothers went off to the Great War and did not return straight afterwards. His name was put on a war memorial but he turned up some years
later. I don't know which memorial  or if the story was a family myth! Anyway thanks for your efforts. By the way I asked my relative, and she seemed to think Willie and May's retirement address in Coleraine was possibly in Bushmills Road.    ama
Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:09 BST (UK) »
Have interrogated friend who knows area around Laragh 50+ years ago and this is what he remembers.
Thinks Witherows came from somewhere else.
Willie Witherow had small farm at Laragh. Wife May was very house-proud. Her sister was married and lived nearby- neither couple had any children.
He's not sure where Witherows were buried. Thinks they might have been connected to Main St. Presbyterian Church but not 100% sure about that.

Asked lots more questions and got some more details. Willie (William) Witherow married 1920 Mary McIntosh and it was possibly her brother (not sister) who lived nearby. McIntosh family known locally as Tosh and I know some of the connection. My friend knows man who took Witherow's ground at Laragh for spuds (presumably after Willie stopped farming or was fairly on in years) and friend will make inquiries as to where Witherows might be buried, where they came from, etc. Will send you a pm regarding the McIntosh connection you might try to contact for information on Laragh.

Story about War Memorial is interesting but wonder if it was a Roll of Honour (in church or school perhaps?) rather than memorial. No unknown Witherows on Kilrea, Garvagh, Aghadowey, Coleraine, Portstewart, etc.
Cpl. J. Witherow is on Garvagh War Memorial under those who served. James Witherow, Lancashire Fusiliers, on Boveedy Presbyterian Church Roll of Honour.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:34 BST (UK) »
This may not be relevant but a possible origin for Witherows in Co.Derry would be the parish of Banagher just south of the town of Dungiven. There are at least 11 families there in the Griffiths valuation. Bannagher is just "over the hill" from the Garvagh area.
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 10:13 BST (UK) »
Most of the Witherows in Co. Derry came from Banagher area but it seems like the family ama50 is looking for were in Kilrea area for a while and would need to get quite a bit farther back to make a connection, if any, to Banagher.

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the pm aghadowey. I may well follow it up. However, just last night , my relative phoned about some info she had found.

Boveedy Presb. Church. baptism list of 4 children of John Witherow and Matilda Barrett/Barnett?

James b. July 1886
John   b. Feb 1889
Matilda b. Oct 1892
William b. Nov 1895

This info, in conjunction with what you have discovered, seems to be what I have been looking for.

James is the corporal on the Boveedy roll of honour.
    John went to London and married Sarah Grace Small in 1912  ( I already knew that)
    Matilda is mentioned as leaving for America in 1912 from Kilrea (Ellis Island web site)
    I was'nt sure of the connection before, but did know a family member did emigrate.
    William remained in the area and farmed at Laragh.

I will still pursue the Barrett/Barnett line as well as try to find out what may have happened to
    James, but thank you to everyone so far.   ama

Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 14:44 BST (UK) »
Boveedy Presbyterian Church fits with the family living in Killygullib townland.

Boveedy Presbyterian Church- Communicants for 1st time 1850-1870:
1855 Mary Jane Witherow
1859 Elizabeth Witherow
1868 John Witherow
1870 Martha Witherow

One thing that puzzles me: Barrett/Barnett is not a common surname in the area.