Author Topic: William Robert Howes, 1859 Gt Yarmouth, Completed Thank You  (Read 3117 times)

Offline valerie2

• Error with email address please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Four genarations of Capon Ladies
    • View Profile
William Robert Howes, 1859 Gt Yarmouth, Completed Thank You
« on: Thursday 04 September 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find William Robert Howes born 1859 Gt Yarmouth. Parent's Joseph D & Eleanor Howes. I have found his birth & in 1861 & 1871 census, but nothing since any help or advice would be very welcome.

Thank you Val
Capon-Lidlington Bedfordshire
Capon-Clophill     Bedfordshire
Capon-London
Hearn-Stowmarket Suffolk
Hearn-Tottenham
Hearn-Edmonton
Hearn-Lydd Kent
Childs-London
Charles-London & Germany
Howes -London & Norfolk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: William Robert Howes, 1859 Gt Yarmouth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 08 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Val

He seems to have vanished.  His parents are on the 1881 and 1891 census, still living in Gt.Yarmouth.  On the 1881 census, they have a daughter Victoria aged 14 and a granddaughter Alice Morgen, who was born in Sunderland.

On the 1891 census, still in Gt.Yarmouth, they have their widowed son James aged 40 and a grandson Joseph J.  It doesn't show his place of birth.

I have found their sons Joseph and James on the 1881 census.  Joseph is married and living in Islington working as a slaughterman.  James is married and living in Hertfordshire and working as a jockey.

There is a death of a Joseph Daniel Howes aged 76 in Sept 1897, Yarmouth 4b 14 and one for an Eleanor aged 82 in December 1903 Blofield 4d 135.

I've found a death for their eldest daughter Nancy and probable marriages for their other daughters.  The only one missing is William Robert.

There is a marriage for a William Robert in March 1877 in Wandsworth 1d 561 and a death  in Jun 1895 in Kingston 2a 173 (aged 40).

I don't know if these are worth following up.  As one of his brothers lived in Islington and his eldest children were born in Southwark, Surrey, perhaps William went to stay with them between census.

Lizzie

Offline valerie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that.
Perhaps I will leave William Robert for a while as there seem's nothing probable.
I have found all the girls marriages except for Nancy! was she born in 1840, I think I have her as Neanie, oops no wonder I have found it difficult to find her.
Joseph Daniel & Eleanor are my GGGGrandparent's and you are correct in there death's.
Joseph my GGGrandparent.

Thanks Val
Capon-London
Hearn-Stowmarket Suffolk
Hearn-Tottenham
Hearn-Edmonton
Hearn-Lydd Kent
Childs-London
Charles-London & Germany
Howes -London & Norfolk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Val

I can't find Nancy's death now and I didn't make a note of the reference, but I can't find her after 1861 either.   I see on the 1851 census, her name is written down something like Emy.  I can't find her birth either, although there is a birth for a Nancy Hoy registered Dec.1840 Yarmouth 13, 321.  I don't know if this is her with the surname misspelt.  As your g.g.g.grandparents don't appear to have married until Sept.1844 Norwich 13, 385 (although there are 3 men, but only 2 women on FreeBMD so don't know Eleanor's maiden name), it is possible that Nancy was registered in her mother's name, and maybe married under that name rather than Howe.

Lizzie

Offline valerie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie
Eleanor's maiden name is Ockley born 1824 Burgh Castle.
I tried to find Eleanor on the 1841 census to see if she had Nancy with her, but as yet unable to find her. Will try again later.
Joseph Daniel is living with his father Joseph & sister Martha in Yarmouth.
Nancy may of married but it is a bit difficult not knowing her correct name.
Oh I did look to see if Nancy was registered under Ockley but again no luck.

Val
Capon-London
Hearn-Stowmarket Suffolk
Hearn-Tottenham
Hearn-Edmonton
Hearn-Lydd Kent
Childs-London
Charles-London & Germany
Howes -London & Norfolk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 08 00:27 BST (UK) »
Val

I thought Eleanor's maiden name might be Ockley as on one of the census, can't remember which off hand, there is a lady by the name of ? Ockley living with Joseph and Eleanor and she is shown as mother, widow.

I did have a quick search for Nancy Ockley, but couldn't find anything.  Of course, Nancy could still be Joseph's son, but as Eleanor was only 17 when Nancy was born, perhaps she wasn't allowed to get married until 4 years later when she was 21.

Lizzie

Offline valerie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 September 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie
Thank you very much for your help.
I have been looking at 1841 census, for Nancy & Eleanor but no joy. If I do find out What happened to Nancy I will let you know.

Thank you for your time & all your effort's.

Val
Capon-London
Hearn-Stowmarket Suffolk
Hearn-Tottenham
Hearn-Edmonton
Hearn-Lydd Kent
Childs-London
Charles-London & Germany
Howes -London & Norfolk

Offline howes21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just joined rootschat and seen your question (which may have been answered by now).  I have the marriage certificate for Joseph Daniel and Eleanor Brewington-Rivett, they were married Sept.9 1844.  Eleanor's father's name was Samuel Rivett (he was a servant for the Brewington family).  Eleanor was born in 1823 at Burgh Castle.  I can go back to 1612 with this line of the Howes family if you need any info.  Sue

Offline valerie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
        Than you very much for your offer. I have Eleanor as  an Ockley! perhaps her mother married twice. I have got back to Thomas 1715-1788 who married a Sarah Dawson 1718-1780.
My line is Joseph Daniel & Eleanor
               Joseph George 1847
               Ernest John       1873 his daughter Emma Florence 1902 my grandmother.
Eleanor Brewington-Rivett her father Samuel Rivett working for the Brewington family! this sounds interesting. This also shows I should always send for certs.
I have my tree on ancestry do you ? or perhaps I could send you my tree. As any help will be most kindly received.
                                                            Val
Capon-London
Hearn-Stowmarket Suffolk
Hearn-Tottenham
Hearn-Edmonton
Hearn-Lydd Kent
Childs-London
Charles-London & Germany
Howes -London & Norfolk