Author Topic: Peppard or Pepper  (Read 4690 times)

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peppard or Pepper
« on: Thursday 04 September 08 16:00 BST (UK) »
Interested in linking up with anyone who has a Pepper or Peppard links to Wicklow/Carlow during the mid-1800's

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Peppard or Pepper
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 09 10:20 GMT (UK) »
John Peppard/Pepper (1838-1926)  living at Garrettstown, Rahill, Rathvilly, Co Carlow married Harriette Sophia Jones from Holdenstown, Baltinglass, Wicklow on 28 Jan 1864 in Baltinglass. He lists his father as being John also.  I cannot find any trace of his father anywhere in Griffiths, Tithes, Parish Records for Baltinglass, etc. I wonder if there is any other place I could look or if there is anyone else who has him on their tree.

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 March 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
could this be him (or his father) on Griffiths with the surname spelt Pepper ?

Surname      : Pepper
Forename      : John
Placename      : BALLYHORSEY
County      : Wicklow
Parish      : Kilcoole

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 March 09 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rory T -

I communicated with you once before about my own Wicklow Peppers - My gg grandmother was Mary Pepper, b. abt. 1819 in Avoca, supposedly the daughter of Matthew Pepper.  Were you ever able to do any searching in Avoca and turn up Peppers there?

I have never pursued this line because it is too difficult to do anything if one is based in Ecuador.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 March 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

I have him, but I can't link him to my John, you probably know the problems with adopting an ancestor without confirmation, I really need to find someone who can link my Peppard/Pepper with the Baltinglass area.
Thanks for the info

Rory

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 09 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Erato,
I am sorry I never replied to your previous post. I am still having trouble getting back further than the birth of my ancestor John Pepper/Peppard born in 1838 and can't yet confirm where he was actually born. I can confirm that he stated in the 1911 census (Dublin) that he was born in Carlow. He was married in Baltinglass which is in the Carlow/Wicklow border area. Avoca is on the coast and a bit away from Baltinglass, but I can't rule a link out at the moment.  I'll keep this posting updated of any further developments.

Greetings to Equador.

RoryT

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
Looking through the IGI Pilot site, there sems to be some Peppard/Pepper families in the Carlow area.  I wonder if anyone is researching them and if they have come across a John Peppard/Pepper born in 1838 and possibly his father also called John possible around 1810.