Author Topic: newspaper report on inquest  (Read 686 times)

Offline gah

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
newspaper report on inquest
« on: Thursday 04 September 08 19:18 BST (UK) »
  I have just found in an old newspaper the details of my gt grandad who was killed in tragic circumstances , it states where the inquest was held etc , and i was just wondering would this report (in the newspaper ) be the inquest or would there be further details held somewhere  , that would give me anymore info , sorry it might seem a daft question

gah

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: newspaper report on inquest
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

The answer to your question is "it depends".  You don't give any details of date or place, but generally speaking some coroners' records survive and, unfortunately, many don't.  I found at Ipswich Record Office a wonderful old parchment document setting out the details of the inquest into the death of my ancestor at Framlingham, Suffolk in 1790 - details of the jurors, with their signatures and seals, details of the witnesses, the evidence given and the verdict reached. Regrettably, the survival of such records is far from universal.

If you can give more specific details, Rootchatters may be able to assist you better on what you might be able to find.

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline gah

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: newspaper report on inquest
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 19:36 BST (UK) »
  Hi Anna ,
                  Gt grandfather was killed by a trackless tram , apparently it was the first tram to run through the area he lived Mexbro , South Yorks , the incident happened in 1915 and as i say i did go to Doncaster library and found the report in a local newspaper , it gave a few  details of the incident and said where the inquest was held (in a local pub apparently ) i was just curious as to see if i would be able to find anymore .

Gail