Author Topic: james connolly  (Read 8640 times)

Offline southportgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james connolly
« on: Thursday 04 September 08 20:34 BST (UK) »
there's a slight chance my great g'father is a james connolly from wicklow, rough dob is 1878-1880 (g'father is thomas albert connolly who was born in nottingham in 1903)
could anyone advise me of a website that I could try to be certain

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james connolly
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 08 21:46 BST (UK) »
Think you need more details to find the correct James Connolly. It's likely a very common name and could be more than one roughly the same age in the same area.
Irish birth indexes aren't online like English ones and to order the correct birth certificate you probably need to know the date of birth or parents' names.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 21:49 BST (UK) »
There is a Thomas Connolly listed in Griffiths Valuation dated 1852 in the townland of Killegar, parish of Powerscourt, Co. Wicklow - the only Thomas Connolly that I see listed for Co. Wicklow.

There is no complete site that has Census or BMD for Co. Wicklow yet, although there are some bits & pieces that people have put up about various  towns &  townlands.

do you know anything about Thomas Albert Connolly ? occupation etc...

One of my ancestors lived very close by at the same time... so I an waiting anxiously for the  more details to be available - Wicklow looks like its going to be last to be put on-line on the census   :(.

Shane.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 08 22:00 BST (UK) »
The birth certificate for Thomas Albert Connolly born 1903 should list both parents. The parents' marriage will list the names and occupations of their fathers but if they married in England an English not Irish residence will probably be listed whih won't help to find where the family lived in Wicklow.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 22:34 BST (UK) »
See also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=325425.new for further info.

This query is on a few boards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 08 07:46 BST (UK) »
sorry.. I misread the timeline there..

back to Griffiths - there are 18 Connolly entries in Co. Wicklow

8 of these entries are in Calary - possibly representing 5 separate people. The others are Newcastle, Powerscourt, Rathdrum, Bray, Blessington & Ballynure.

Calary is near Kilmacanogue - which is a couple of miles inland from Bray.

Shane.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline southportgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 September 08 21:32 BST (UK) »
think I'm going to leave this for a while. going to try and get g'father's birth certificate but i am obviously doing something wrong given some of the comments I have received. maybe this chatroom is for more experienced researchers but i thought you could put a post in several topics and try and get as much advice as possible but obviously not.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 September 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
The problem with posting the same query in more than one location is that people start posting replies on the various threads without knowing that other people are looking for the same details or have already confirmed the details they have just spent time searching to help you. If for some reason you do need to post details on more than one post linking the threads cuts down on the confusion and duplication.

Offline HJenk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sorry Iv never been on here before but i believe that James Connolly is also my great grandfather. My father has his daughters necklace that she was given at her school i believe. If you chould please help me with what ever you know of him, that would be great. Thankyou