Author Topic: Canal Boatmen and Women  (Read 170389 times)

Offline mel9329

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canal Boatmen and Women
« Reply #324 on: Thursday 23 May 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to speak to you more about this if possible, are you able to send me your email address?

All the best,
Mel

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Thursday 23 May 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to speak to you more about this if possible, are you able to send me your email address?

All the best,
Mel
MEL have messaged you on another forum

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
On 5th March 1866, George Cornwall (aka Cornwell), born at Ipstones and a canal boatman on the Cauldon Canal, married Elizabeth Kent, daughter of Thomas Kent, boatman, at St Mark's, Shelton in The Potteries.  Elizabeth was supposedly 20 years old (marriage certificate).  Five years later, in the 1871 Census, Elizabeth was still 20 years old; in 1881 she was 30, in 1891 41 (Census) and 42 (death).  Thus she was born, in Shelton or the adjacent Etruria, c1850 and was no more than 15 or 16 when she married.

While I know lots about the Cornwell family I can find nothing about this Thomas Kent and his daughter.  I've checked out at least two of the Elizabeths born in 1850-51 and neither seems right.   There's an 1861 Census Shelton entry for Thomas Kent, captain, born Cheddleton (near Ipstones) in 1824, with wife Jane 30, Goldenhill, and Elizabeth (7, Etruria).  If accurate, the age of this Elizabeth in 1866 would be 12.

I cannot see any Kents listed in this current line of enquiry, but would like to know if any canal family researchers have encountered this father and daughter? 

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:17 BST (UK) »
On 5th March 1866, George Cornwall (aka Cornwell), born at Ipstones and a canal boatman on the Cauldon Canal, married Elizabeth Kent, daughter of Thomas Kent, boatman, at St Mark's, Shelton in The Potteries.  Elizabeth was supposedly 20 years old (marriage certificate).  Five years later, in the 1871 Census, Elizabeth was still 20 years old; in 1881 she was 30, in 1891 41 (Census) and 42 (death).  Thus she was born, in Shelton or the adjacent Etruria, c1850 and was no more than 15 or 16 when she married.

While I know lots about the Cornwell family I can find nothing about this Thomas Kent and his daughter.  I've checked out at least two of the Elizabeths born in 1850-51 and neither seems right.   There's an 1861 Census Shelton entry for Thomas Kent, captain, born Cheddleton (near Ipstones) in 1824, with wife Jane 30, Goldenhill, and Elizabeth (7, Etruria).  If accurate, the age of this Elizabeth in 1866 would be 12.

I cannot see any Kents listed in this current line of enquiry, but would like to know if any canal family researchers have encountered this father and daughter? 
    in my family tree of canal boatmen                                                 i have a jane kent 18 year old daughter to  a thomas kent a canal boatman who on the 8th march 1880 at hartshill parish church  did marry  a samuel harrison age 22 son to joseph harrison  both father & son are listed as Canal boatmen witness are george & elizabeth cornwall all signed with a x

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
We look to have the same wider family.  This Jane looks to be the one born in 1862 with mmn being Wood.  I think I've teased out before that the Goldenhill Jane, who married this Thomas Kent might have been a Wood.  It all suggests that the age (7) of Elizabeth in the 1861Census was misrecorded, mistranscribed or whatever.  It should have been 10 or 11.

We then have the 1851 June Qty Vol 17 p228 birth registration of Elizabeth Kent, mmn Wood.

Thomas Kent married Jane Wood at St Mark's Shelton in 1848 (just spotted it on staffordshirebmd.org.uk).  Things are falling into place - unless someone comes up with contradictory information!

Many thanks for this lead.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
We look to have the same wider family.  This Jane looks to be the one born in 1862 with mmn being Wood.  I think I've teased out before that the Goldenhill Jane, who married this Thomas Kent might have been a Wood.  It all suggests that the age (7) of Elizabeth in the 1861Census was misrecorded, mistranscribed or whatever.  It should have been 10 or 11.

Many thanks for this lead.
also have a Thomas Kent in 1881 census age 69 an inmate in wolstanton & burslem work house but anable to be 100% sure if he is from the same kent boating family as there appears to be 3 other familys not connected  also might be some intrest lavinia kent age 4 months daughter of thomas kent a canal boatmen was buried 1881   can supply full info if this is connected to you also have baptism records for john  hanna kent 4 x children

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: Monday 01 July 19 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all canal boatmen and women ancestors i am starting a group on facebook, everyone is welcome, it is a good start to share stories and photo's or if you need help with your family, most are related one way or another harrison, ward, wood, humphries, etc, let me know if you want to be part of the group by message and i will add you, i have done this for my family and we have quite a few now, everyone getting to know others would be great as i said most boating families are related somehow,

hope to see you soon

regards kerry
tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs

Offline springtime 60

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Saturday 13 July 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
my ancestors are william and phoebe FLATLEY who worked and lived on the canal in kidderminster william born 1863 he would be up and down the canal in wolverhampton and staffordshire.
any info would be great