Author Topic: Postlethwaite, Matthew, Dalton in Furness abt 1821  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Postlethwaite, Matthew, Dalton in Furness abt 1821
« on: Saturday 06 September 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me trace my 2 x Grandfather Matthew Postlwethwaite b Dalton in Furness abt 1821.  He moved to Keswick and married Esther Holmes I have found him on all Census returns from 1841 - 1881 but I cannot find any trace of his birth or marriage to Esther.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you
Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Postlethwaite, Matthew, Dalton in Furness abt 1821
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A warm welcome to Rootschat.

His baptism is on www.lan-opc.org.uk
St. Michael and All Angels, Hawkshead, Lancashire
16th July, 1820
Matthew Postlethwaite son of John Postlethwaite and Mary
Abode, Fold Yeat
Occupation of father Husbandman

There are also a number of baptisms of siblings.

Sorry, I see there are two.  Do you think he knocked a few years off his age being married to a younger lady?

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 08 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo,

Sorry but that isn't the same Matthew as my Grandfather.  It definitely states on the census returns that my Great Grandfather Matthew Postlethwaite was born in Dalton in Furness abt 1821.
Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 September 08 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are many Postlethwaites in the Dalton in Furness area.  I think my 3 x g.grandmother was Agnes Postlethwaite, born about 1791 but I've not been able to prove it yet.

Lizzie

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 September 08 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Good luck with finding if you are related to Agnes Postlethwaite, can I help in any way?

Incidentally Agnes is a recurring Postlethwaite  name as both my Grandmother and my Mother were  Christened Agnes.

I might actually have found Mathew's parents as Agnes and John (Occupation: Miller) living at Orgrave Mill, Dalton Lancs on the 1841 census.  Mathew turns up on the 1841 census at Hutton Soil occupation Miller. 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your offer of help.  I'm not sure if anyone can definitely find out who my 3 x g.grandparents were.

On the 1841 census, my 2 x g.grandfather John is living with his parents William Benson and Agnes.  Unfortunately, all his brothers were born before 1837, so no real way of checking their parents.  On the 1851 census, he is living with a Postlethwait(e) family.

On IGI and submitted, but giving a film number, so I can order it and check out the details, a William Benson was baptised about 1791 ( although his age on the 1841 census, would suggest he was born 5 years earlier).  There is also a submitted marriage, again with a film number (the same one as for the baptism) which suggests that William's wife is Agnes Posthlewait.  I cannot find any baptisms for their children.

Unfortunately, I cannot find William and Agnes after the 1841 census, so I assume they have died as all the children, including the youngest Joseph born about 1836/7 are living at various addresses.  There are two deaths registered in the name of William Benson and three in the name of Agnes Benson between 1841 and 1851, but even if I chose the correct one for William, it would only tell me his wife was Agnes, it wouldn't give her maiden name.

There are other Benson families on the 1841 census with sons called John and Joseph, but with different ages.  I know I have the correct family as John moved to Hull and Joseph followed him a couple of years later and Joseph's wife was the informant on John's death certificate.  The ages of John and Joseph on the later census tie in with the ones of the family i found on the 1841 census.

There is a website http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/, (I don't know if you know about it), which has transcribed lots of births, marriages and deaths but, unfortunately, there are no marriages between 1728 and 1855 listed for the Dalton area.

Lizzie

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have found a marriage of William Benson and Agnes Postlethwaite Dalton, Lancashire on 24 August 1816 could this be them?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
The marriage I found on IGI, which was submitted rather than extracted from parish records, just gives a date of 1816, so it is possibly the same one.  I do have the film number so can order the film from the local LDS office to check it out. 

Where did you find the details?

Lizzie