Author Topic: Adairs of Derry 1901 census?  (Read 25675 times)

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adairs of Derry 1901 census?
« on: Saturday 06 September 08 18:02 BST (UK) »
Has anyone access to the 1901 census for Waterside area of Londonderry. I am trying to get details of John  (b 1863 )and Matilda Adair (b 1858) both dates calculated from death certificates. They had a large family, Ebrington Rd, Limavady Rd and Ebrington Presbyterian Church all connected. Daughter Annie b 1885 + I believe eight others. Any help appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adairs of Derry 1901 census?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 08 19:47 BST (UK) »
Ebrington Presbyterian Church is on the Limavady Road, Waterside, Londonderry:
www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/ebrington.html

The church actually opened Oct.1897.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 September 08 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I had found that site before but missed the fact that it opened in 1897. Any idea where presbyterians in the area might have married before this, round about 1883? The church record might help me to find  John and Matilda Adair. My grandmother was married in Ebrington Rd Church but in 1912.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 September 08 11:27 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few Presbyterian Churches in Londonderry itself and the area. Marriages usually but not always took place in the bride's church. Londonderry Registry Office is certainly also a possibility. Can't see a marriage for John Adair to a Matilda in Co. Derry (although the index I'm using may not be complete) so Co. Donegal is also some place to consider.

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 September 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying. I get the feeling that my G Grandma was a staunch Presbyterian so I think she would have married in a church if it was possible. I have almost no information on her apart from her name and that she was supposed to be Scottish but this may just mean by descent? I have an address of Clifton Rd, Waterside for my grandma in 1912 but whether her parents lived there then or before, I have no idea! That's why I hoped to find a copy of their address in 1901 if the census remains?
I just have to hope that someone recognises the family, there was an Annie, Jenny/Jeanne, Tilly, John (died WW1 R In Fusliliers), Billy who emigrated to USA and then was repatriated in the depresssion, and Eleanor the youngest(known as Nell) and more I think. John and Matilda came to England between the wars and lived with Annie who was a war widow by then. Eleanor came to England with her husband who survived both W Wars as a  soldier.
If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE post. thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 08 21:42 BST (UK) »
Being a staunch Presbyterian would not have prevented her from having a Registry Office wedding. Among the reasons for doing so were:
1. bride preganant
2. recent death in family
3. either bride or groom previously married
4. own minister was away/church had no minister at the time
5. family disapproval
6. minister was not authorised to perform marriages. My Reformed Presbyterian relatives (very, very strict) all had Registry Office marriages as well as church marriages and when the notice appeared in the paper it gave the church as place of marriage.

The 1901 census does exist but it's not yet indexed (coming eventually along with 1911 on National Archives, Dublin website)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 08 21:52 BST (UK) »
Looks like son John?:
Corporal J. Adair, number 15264, 10th Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, died 4 Oct.1916, son of Mr. W. Adair 32 Governor Road Londonderry.

If so, more details: assosiated with Christ Church (Church of Ireland), Londonderry. Son of William (d.7 Mar.1946?) & Matilda Jane?
"Corporal Adair's father received intimation from the Reverend Alexander Spence that his son was instantaneously killed by a trench mortar shell while in the trenches. The Reverend J. G. Paton, Presbyterian chaplain and Corporal Adair's major, also wrote, in a sympathetic letter: 'I do not know a braver soldier in our battalion. He had played a heroic part a few nights before in the enemy's trenches, when we captured a machine gun. He was specially commended by the officer in charge.'
John Adair won an Ulster Division Certificate for conspicuous gallantry on July 1, 1916, in the Thiepval sector. Whilst in charge of a bombing attack, on that day, he bombed many dugouts and took many prisoners. His name was read out during a memorial service held, on Sunday, November 4, 1917, for the members of the congregation of Christ Church (Church of Ireland), Londonderry, who had given their lives in battle during the previous year.
William and Matilda J. Adair, 32, Governor Road, both signed the Ulster Solemn League and Covenant (September 1912) pledging opposition to Home Rule for Ireland. William Adair, same address, worked as a Fitter in the Londonderry Shipyard in the early 1920s, and belonged to the Derry branch of the Ulster Unionist Labour Association in the same period."

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 September 08 12:48 BST (UK) »
This is so kind of you but it is not the correct son. I too thought I had this correctly until we found the commerative plaque which my grandmother had kept and it clearly gave his rank as private. With the mother called Matilda, I assumed that the father was William John (but known as John) but unless the plaque was wrong, it could not be him. Later on searching, I found the mention of a Private John Adair, Killed Ypes 1st July, 1916, RSF 11th Bat. You don't have any more information on him do you - that would be fantastic.

Thank you for the other information. That is very helpful.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 September 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
Later on searching, I found the mention of a Private John Adair, Killed Ypes 1st July, 1916, RSF 11th Bat. You don't have any more information on him do you - that would be fantastic.

Do you mean Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers instead of RSF? If so, the only one I could find is:
Pve. John Adair #14849 commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.

The John Adair #15264 (information posted previously) is the only one on Londonderry War Memorial with the surname ADAIR. During WWI it was common for ranks to go up, and down, so wouldn't rule out him just yet. Does the address 32 Governor Road ring any bells? William and Matilda (parents) both signed Covenant in 1912 (signatures can be viewed on PRONI site).