Author Topic: Adairs of Derry 1901 census?  (Read 25673 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adairs of Derry 1901 census?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 October 08 18:04 BST (UK) »
William Adair arr. "Columbia" 6 June 1909 age 24 was born in Belfast and going to friend J. McLaughlan in Paterson, N.J. He was a coach painter and his father was William J. Adair of 31 Memel St. Belfast.

Think you can rule this one out.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 October 08 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information.' Find my Past' website must have his age wrong! If I can rule him out as being the family member who emigrated  then it looks as though the Ebrington Terrace family could indeed be the correct one. This William was supposed to have died age 50 during WW2. Do you have any access to the census for 1901 because if I could recognise the family unit definitely, I will have more chance of following the trail and finding the marriage of the parents and the birth of mt grandma Annie. Also it means that if the brother William (Billy) served and survived WW1 there may be a record of his service which may give some clues though many of these records have been destroyed - worth a try though?
I can't thank you enough for your help. I had really reached a brick wall before.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 October 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I don't have 1901 census for Londonderry. Eventually it will be online at National Archives, Dublin website after they finish putting on the 1911 census. If you are in Northern Ireland there are several places you can view 1901 census (PRONI and Ballymena Library to name two). Otherwise, you can order 1901 census from your local LDS library but you need to know where they lived to get the correct reel (see online catalogue at www.familysearch.org).

Offline cbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 October 08 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. No I live in the S of England hence my ignorance of places in NI. I will have to wait for the details to come on line.

Offline bomerst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 December 08 04:29 GMT (UK) »
I am also looking for information about Adair from Londonderry.
I am trying to get the marriage information for Letitia Ann Adair b 30 July 1870 Glendermot (parish/district).
Letitia was the daughter of William Adair and Ann Evans. She married William Manwaring (AKA Mainwaring) on July 22 1907 in Londonderry. I am trying to get more information  on William Manwaring such as date and place of     birth.

If you want you can get more information on the Adair in my wife's family from http://www.bomersfamily.com  and enter Adair in the last name.
Ted

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 December 08 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Ted,
      Welcome to roots chat. Letitia married William Mainwaring in Glendermott Second Presbyterian Church. I cannot find the Mainwaring name in Londonderry at that time but the IGI has what could be a Grandfather in Dublin about 1850

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 December 08 08:05 GMT (UK) »
According to your family tree William Mainwaring was a naval petty officer so he could have been born anywhere and met Letitia Ann when stationed in Londonderry. Hopefully, the 1911 census will shed some light on his place and date of birth if nothing else is found in the meantime.

P.S. I see 5 children of William Adair and Ann Evans listed in IGI but think they have a different date of birth for Elizabeth (5 Mar.1874).

Offline bomerst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 December 08 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for confirming the marriage being in Glendermot Presbeterian Church. What is the best way to get a transcript of the marriage certificate? through my research the original church was replaced and don't know where I should get the information from.
We live in Canada so I will need a mailing address.

Thanks

Ted

Offline bomerst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 December 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
The information about William Mainwaring that I currently have came from my father-in law's birth certificate.  I was able to obtain that from Scotland. It says that he was a naval officer and also that  they were married July 22 1907 in Londonderry Ireland.  I would like to get more information about the potential link to the Mainwaring from Dublin. What is IGI? I am not familiar with that abbreviation. Where can I search/write to for information in Ireland since we live in Canada.

Thanks