Author Topic: help please commercial hotel stckport  (Read 4001 times)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help please commercial hotel stckport
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 September 08 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat and Annie,
The Commercial was on the corner of Shaw Heath and Chapel Street,Philip Street ran behind the Hotel from Chapel Street up to Castle Street. St Philip and St James's Chapel was across the road on Chapel Street, where the school is today.
I had found the births of the twins and the death of Agnes
there is also a birth for a John Vincent in 1897,I've looked for a death but can't find anything.
Annie,
 Have you the marriage cert for James and Agnes,could they have been married before 1899 or was John Vincent born before they married. Oh don't we all love a mystery.......
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annnie 3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 September 08 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat and Rolnora,
                                Rolnora, thanks for the copy of advert about the Commercial Hotel Shaw Heath Stockport-this helps me build picture of  their lives.

Do you know what the Armoury was? As usual one solved puzzle always leads me to another question.
I didn't know that Elizabeth was a twin but I do know that Elizabeth was named for James mother- Elizabeth Welsh and the Agnes Janet was named after Agnes's mother- Janet Macgunnigal
Apologies to you both I have given you  some dates that weren't correct.

I found James and Agnes marriage on Scotlands people - her mother Janet Macgunnigal died in Feb 1895 and they were married Feb 1896.-not 1898
 Agnes was left a considerable amount of money by her mother,  her sister already married,was left very little. Presumably this was because Agnes had stayed at home to look after her mother.
Regarding John Vincent thanks for finding him -where was he in 1901?he's not on the census. Yet another mystery!

Also living at the hotel were Agnes's two nieces Sarah and I think it was Agnes aged about 15 and seventeen-her sister's children- their surname was Conway 
Also on the marriage certificate  James Welsh gave his address as26 Ratcliff Street Stockport his parents were Elizabeth and John Welsh both  were still alive.
Thanks again for all your help its wonderful.
Oh I live in  north east England
                                        Annie 3

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 September 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
I don't know where John Vincent can be, as you say he's not on the census with the rest of the family, I have looked for a death but haven't come across anything yet.
The Armoury is still in use today and is the headquarters for the local Territorial Army, years ago it housed the Cheshire Regiment.
I knew Ratcliffe Street very well, my grandparents lived there. It was quite a long street made up of terraces and was demolished in the 1960's.
I've had a look on the Cheshire BMD and can't see a marriage for Sarah or Agnes, perhaps they went back to Scotland?
Where did John and Elizabeth Welsh live, was it Scotland or did they also live in Stockport at that time?

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:36 BST (UK) »

I've found John Vincent now.
His birth was registered June qtr 1897 ST1/127/35 Cheshire BMD and his death Sept Qtr of the same year ST1/107/9. His surname has been transcribed as Walsh.

Offline annnie 3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat and Rolnora,

Sorry its taken me so long but life is very busy at the moment . What a coincidence your grandparents living in the same road rolnora!
 I know James was born in Scotland but I don't know if they moved to Stockport still working on that one- its possible.
Also I have heard from another source that the sisters, Agnes and Sarah, may have emigrated to south Africa but  not sure if this is true. Suggestions welcome.

Annie 3

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 October 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

I've looked for possible marriages for the two girls on free BMD but there doesn't seem to be anything for them.
I was thinking that they could have gone back to Scotland, if you think that's possible you could try a post on the Scottish board, for South Africa try the emigrants board, someone on there may be able to help you trace them.

Rolnora