Author Topic: street names in shrewsbury  (Read 6840 times)

Offline hodnet2000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
street names in shrewsbury
« on: Saturday 06 September 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
hi does anyone know whereabouts in Abbey Foregate Shrewsbury that Plowdens Passage and Innsfield would have been,,,, some of my relatives lived in that area and though i lived in Shrewsbury for most of my life i cant figure out where they might have been.I know where Horsefair is ( my Nanny was born there) but cant find the others (obviously not there now).Also has anyone heard of Owen Shut ,could that of been around the same area? many thanks.  jean
Shortman, Taylor from London area, Walker working in the Welshpool area in 1901, Edwards living in Shrewsbury 1901 onwards

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: street names in shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 08 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello

I can't help you with an answer, I'm afraid, but can direct you to the Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury, who will be able to help you.  I know they keep copies of old maps and can help identify old addresses.  The staff have helped me on a number of occasions.

Have a look at the website for contact details: http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Hodnet

Looking at the census route on 1881, it wasnt to far from the Holy Cross Hospital

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 September 08 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Hodnet

If you go to this site

http://www.shrewsbury.gov.uk/planninglist/LBRegister.asp?parishID=44

and look for number
653/12/64 on the leftside of the page and then press map 653/12/64 it shows where the hospital is or was

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hodnet2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 September 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
hi man thanks to both of you,, i will contact the records office by e-mail to see what they can find. thank you ricky, i had a look on the site you suggested and i have a pretty good idea of where Holy Cross Hospital might have been,,,. its somewhere round the back of the Abbey and i think there are Alms Houses still there, but im not sure. Even though im not far from Shrewsbury our public transport is not good ,also every time i go to Shrewsbury they seem to have knocked something else down and it looks totally different! many many thanks,  jean
Shortman, Taylor from London area, Walker working in the Welshpool area in 1901, Edwards living in Shrewsbury 1901 onwards

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 September 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Hodnet

also looking on the census route, it mentions the Angel Inn and the Bell Inn, also New hall Gardens, and there is a mention of Number 2 Railway Road and what looks like Priddles passage ???

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Offline hodnet2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 September 08 19:57 BST (UK) »
hi, ricky,,,i think Newhall Gardens are still there, also the Bell inn i think,,perhaps Priddens passage could be my Plowdens passage, i will get my map out,,,, where do you get your census info from,,, i use Ancestry, many thanks,  jean

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 September 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
I use An***try aswell, its from the 1881 census
Shrewsbury Holy Cross, district 25

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 September 08 20:02 BST (UK) »
lso has anyone heard of Owen Shut ,

This website http://shrewsburyforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=259 gave reference to the following:

Owens Passage - a dead shut, to the right of what was Deep Pan Pizza (the route it took has been replaced by the Castle Court shut).

Note - on Castle Court, just as the slope begins, on the left is a doorway which leads to a rather grim passage which was once part of the Raven Hotel. This leads eventually, though don't bother - it's not nice, back to Castle Street, next to where Deep Pan Pizza once was. The passage, like a few others (Owen's Passage, Bythell's Passage, Budgett's Passage), were decimated by the huge new commercial developments of the 1980s.

Have a look......there's some good explanations and photos.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand