Author Topic: street names in shrewsbury  (Read 6839 times)

Offline hodnet2000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: street names in shrewsbury
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 September 08 20:19 BST (UK) »
hi again,,,, have had a look on the site about the passages in shrewsbury, it certainly brought back memories of running up and down some of these shuts when we were kids !! Gullet Passage was our favourite along with the Seventy Steps.Another alley we used was what we called Fishy Alley, we would get off the bus on smithfield road and then run like hell along the alley to get to the Empire for the saturday matinee,holding our noses as we ran due to the fishmongers along the alley.cant remember if it was an old alley or not, but it was fun to run along it!!!!,,,, have found the census routes on Ancestry and plowdens passage is on there,  i need a trip to Shrewsbury to investigate !!   jean
Shortman, Taylor from London area, Walker working in the Welshpool area in 1901, Edwards living in Shrewsbury 1901 onwards

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 September 08 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

would have thought they would have some old maps of the area in the records office or library

good luck

ricky ;)
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 September 08 20:57 BST (UK) »
They certainly are Ricky, at the Shropshire Archives

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf

:D

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 September 08 21:00 BST (UK) »
sorry Lloydy
didnt see your link in the earlier posting :-[ :-[ :-[
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 September 08 21:21 BST (UK) »
No apology needed :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Kevin137

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
hi does anyone know whereabouts in Abbey Foregate Shrewsbury that Plowdens Passage and Innsfield would have been,,,, some of my relatives lived in that area and though i lived in Shrewsbury for most of my life i cant figure out where they might have been.I know where Horsefair is ( my Nanny was born there) but cant find the others (obviously not there now).Also has anyone heard of Owen Shut ,could that of been around the same area? many thanks.  jean

Did you ever manage to pin these places down exactly, Jean? I'm also interested in Plowden's Passage, as an uncle of mine was born there in 1926. It would appear -- from this description of the relevant census district in 1901 -- that it was in the block on the north side of Abbey Foregate immediately after the railway bridge and before Railway Lane, i.e. perhaps on the site of the modern-ish buildings where The Severn radio station is now located:

1901 Census : Atcham, St Mary, Enumeration District 18
    =================================================================================
    Commencing at the Technical School -- Mr Penn's -- left hand  side of Abbey Foregate to Captain Collon's, "Abbeydale" including all courts and Passages (
Plowden's Passage, Railway Road, Providence Grove, Portobello, Priddle's Passage, Crown Court, Holy Cross Hospital, Horse Fair, back and front) -- Holywell Street (Holywell Terrace) both sides to Railway Bridge -- Whitehall Street, both sides (including Abbey gardens and Whitehall Terrace) -- return to Abbey Houses and take all  houses on left hand up to Holy Cross Institute and left hand side of  Monkmoor Street up to Railway Bridge.
[/list]

Names: Davies - Eveleigh - Griffiths - Pritchard - Rapsey - Wilson  /  Areas: Brecknockshire - Cheshire - Glamorgan - Radnorshire - Shropshire - Warwickshire