Author Topic: Help! Doherty and Mannion Galway  (Read 1955 times)

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! Doherty and Mannion Galway
« on: Sunday 07 September 08 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Can anyone help with tracing a Thomas Doherty (of many spellings) who married a Bridget Mannion (Manning).
This is my first bit of Irish research so am very unsure.
They were living in Wales in 1851 but not 1841 and I can't find any marriage record for them over here.
I think Thomas was originally from East Galway and Bridget also but possibly just over the border in Roscommon.
Looking at the marriage index on ifhf site I have found a Thomas Doherty marriage in Glennamaddy in 1848 and also a Bridget Mannion same place and date but no idea if it was to each other! Can't afford to pay for long shots either!
Is there any other way of finding out. Is it possible to look up parish records in person?
We do try to get over there most years, if we can as we love it so much but have never been to that area.
If anyone can help at all or any info on context....aftermath of the famine etc. I would be most grateful.
cheers
Norma
Dumfriesshire - Anderson, Little, Mundell, Dinwoodie,
Thorburn, Carlyle, Thomson, Bailley, Gillespie etc

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Doherty and Mannion Galway
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 September 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
I had alook at east Galway of irish-roots.ie and located the marriage of Thomas Doherty and Bridget Mannion in the RC Parish of Glenammady in 1848,  After taking a look at the html code I am pretty certain that both these records link to the same marriage.

I've used this method before and it's worked out for me...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Doherty and Mannion Galway
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 08 18:19 BST (UK) »
You're a gem altogether!
norms
Dumfriesshire - Anderson, Little, Mundell, Dinwoodie,
Thorburn, Carlyle, Thomson, Bailley, Gillespie etc