Author Topic: The th Royals ???  (Read 3941 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The th Royals ???
« on: Sunday 07 September 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
Free Reg shows Maria Copperwheat married Charles Bromwich in July 1841. Thorpe St Andrew Norfolk

Record shows that Charles was a "Private Of The th. Royals"

Which th. do they mean!!! the transcriber obviously couldn't make out the whole regiment no..

Would his regiment be to do with Norfolk maybe? Any clues will be a help--thank you from poli.
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The th Royals ???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 08 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Poli

I think it is more likely to be a cavalry regiment than an infantry one. An infantry regiment would need four battalions to need ‘th’ and I cannot think of one at the time. About a dozen infantry regiments had Royal in their title, but not the East or West Norfolk regiments.

The cavalry regiment called the ‘Royals’ today would have been the 1st (Royal) Regiment of Dragoons in the 1840s, so I don’t see them needing ‘th’ to describe them. He could have been in the 7th (Princess Royal’s) Regiment of Dragoon Guards.

I have found Maria in the 1841 Census. If you could find Charles you should be able to get his regiment from the names of the officers if he was in some sort of barracks. I see Maria’s father (?) was an army pensioner.

Ken

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 08 07:39 BST (UK) »
If you purchased a copy of the marriage certificate it should solve the problem for you.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 September 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much-- KM--Maria's father was with the 11th Dragoons. The marriage lines Hackstaple--good idea, oddly enough i had already considered sending for it as verification of Maria's birth date. The 1841 shows her as b in 1826 which would make her only 15 when wed. Free Reg marriage record shows her as a 'minor' so i should get two answers for the price of one [hopefully]

Again, thankyou all. Poli :)
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Woods----London

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 September 08 10:42 BST (UK) »
The 1841 shows her as b in 1826 which would make her only 15 when wed. Free Reg marriage record shows her as a 'minor' so i should get two answers for the price of one [hopefully]

Again, thankyou all. Poli :)

The 1841 census would show her as age 15.  Since ages over 15 were rounded down to five years in that census she was actually anything between 15 and 19 and could have been born in 1922 or even after the census date in 1921.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 September 08 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Poli

The papers for Charles Bromwich and John Cooperwheat (what great names btw) do not appear to have survived. You can search online in the index of men discharged before the end of 1854 in the NA Catalogue - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp putting WO (for War Office) as the Series Code - and I cannot see them.

There are other possibilities though - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm especially the Muster and Pay Lists (WO12) for John as you know his regiment. You will get virtually no FH information in this period, but at least you can see the towns where the 11th were month by month, and so where he may have had children.

I see from the 1841 Census only the mother (?) was born in Norfolk. Did John survive to 1851, and if so where was he born?

Ken

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, Maria's father John Copperwheat, served in the 11th Dragoons with the miss-spelt surname of Copperwhite! i found his 'Statement of Service' papers from the N.Archives and sent for them some time ago. He finished his army days in 1824. Ended up in Norfolk.
Like you however, i cannot find anything for Charles Bromwich [so far that is] i shall carry on looking though.
I searched Find My Past in the Military section for Army BMDs and came across 3 of Maria's siblings births, her brother John [John junior] being my  2nd Gt Grandfather.

I cannot find Charles or a Maria Bromwich in any census except of course for Maria herself in 1841. Tried a variety of spellings but apart from getting cross eyed have had no luck so far.

John Copperwheat , Maria's father was born  in Bedfordshire. He died in 1853. her mother lived till 1868. i have their certs. I have now sent for Maria's & Charles marriage lines as Hackstaple suggested.

Maria's brother John was born in Carlow Ireland, Mary Ann in France & Robert in Canterbury Kent.
Maria's birthplace i am still not 100% sure of , 1841 says Norfolk but i saw somewhere [cannot remember where!] the words"Not born Norfolk"in relation to her  ::) Still 'iffy' about her actual birth year census dates being what they are!

Poli.

Today-- p.s Found a Charles & Maria Bromwich in 1891 [he's an ag lab]
                Then in 1901 with a sister in law named Franck !! may be   Francis.

How i missed them first time round--well-- ::) ::)
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Woods----London

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 September 08 19:12 BST (UK) »
Have just recieved the marriage cert of Maria & Charles--and wouldn't you know it--a bad copy !! Charles was a 'Private of the 6th something' does it actually say "Royals?? or is it Regiment or something else entirely----anyone with 20-20 vision?  ;D
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Woods----London

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 September 08 19:17 BST (UK) »
6th Regiment Of Foot i think ended up been Royal Warwickshire Regiment...unsure on dates??

Kens hopefully got a better idea?

:)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.