Author Topic: John Tierney born c 1873  (Read 3354 times)

Offline EileenBlacklock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Tierney born c 1873
« on: Monday 08 September 08 11:31 BST (UK) »
My g grandfather born in 1873 John Tierney, is a bit of a mystery in the family. We know nothing about him apart from what we find on the census for 1901.

He was born in Ireland and in 1901 was living with his wife and children in District Millbay Barracks in Plymouth. His rank was Gunner in 31 Coy WDRGA. I believe this to mean Western Division Royal Garrison Artillery.

I believe he eventually went to Kilkenny which is where his daughter was married but this is just guesswork. The priest at the church where she married has no record of her father's baptism or burial so I guess he could have come from anywhere in Ireland.

I was rather hoping his military records might shed some light on where in Ireland he came from but how do I find that out? Help anyone please.
Stone in Wiltshire
Balch in Devon
Blacklock
Ellis in London
McKinley in Cheshire
Perryman in Devon
Stanton
Tierney in Ireland (mainly Kilkenny)
Towell in Devon
Barr in Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Tierney born c 1873
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
There are military experts on that board that might be able to answer your question but be sure to link a new post there to this one if you do put a query there to avoid duplication and confusion.

Meanwhile, John Tierney's marriage certificate should list his father's name and occupation (unless he was illegitimate). There are probably quite a few John Tierneys born in Ireland c1873 so you can't be sure you'd get the corret birth record without knowing the names of his parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!