Author Topic: TOBIN in 20c Kilkenny  (Read 9895 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
TOBIN in 20c Kilkenny
« on: Friday 28 January 05 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I am probably looking for the proverbial "needle in a haystack":

Mark TOBIN, an HM Customs Officer, married (England) with children (born England) and living in Stratford (East London), Essex, England.

He died (according to the probate of his will) 6 Nov 1932 at 19 Michael Street, County Kilkenny.

I have no idea why he was in Ireland as his widow and children continued to live at his home address in England and he was still employed by HM Customs in London, England.  Of course, with a name like TOBIN, it is possible that he was Irish but I can't be certain.

Is there any hope of identifying this address without a town/village?  Would it be costly (if indeed possible with the information given) to try and find a death/burial.

Any ideas/advice appreciated.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: TOBIN in 20c Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 05 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

I was searching "Tobin" and came across your posting. 

The Tobin's I am interested in came from Co. Wexford.  Their names were Martin and Sarah.  They came to Canada in 1840 

I have no advice, but just thought I'd let you know that your not alone looking for a Tobin in Ireland.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 05 12:33 BST (UK) »
I am probably looking for the proverbial "needle in a haystack":

Mark TOBIN, an HM Customs Officer, married (England) with children (born England) and living in Stratford (East London), Essex, England.

He died (according to the probate of his will) 6 Nov 1932 at 19 Michael Street, County Kilkenny.

I have no idea why he was in Ireland as his widow and children continued to live at his home address in England and he was still employed by HM Customs in London, England.  Of course, with a name like TOBIN, it is possible that he was Irish but I can't be certain.

Is there any hope of identifying this address without a town/village?  Would it be costly (if indeed possible with the information given) to try and find a death/burial.

Any ideas/advice appreciated.

Casalguidi

hope this is him

TOBIN, Mark   Birth
   Birth Date:   10 Jun 1870   Birthplace:   121, Rosscarbery, Cork, Ire
         Recorded in:    Cork, Ireland
         Collection:   Civil Registration
   Father:   John TOBIN
   Mother:   Honora DONOVAN

audrey

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 05 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

I was searching "Tobin" and came across your posting. 

The Tobin's I am interested in came from Co. Wexford.  Their names were Martin and Sarah.  They came to Canada in 1840 

I have no advice, but just thought I'd let you know that your not alone looking for a Tobin in Ireland.

Karen

this might help could be a rellie

TOBIN, Martin   Birth
   Birth Date:   23 Jul 1870   Birthplace:   886, New Ross, Wex, Ire
         Recorded in:    Wexford, Ireland
         Collection:   Civil Registration
   Father:   Roger TOBIN
   Mother:   Martha KEHOE

audrey

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Audrey!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 June 05 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen & Audrey

Sorry I haven't replied sooner ................ it got overlooked somehow :-[

That could well by our Mark TOBINs baptism ........... as yet have no idea when/where he was born but his wife was born early 1880s. 

He was the 3rd of gt grannie's 4 husbands so we're not actually tracing him backwards - just trying to fill in some details whilst he was married to her - but it is still useful to have the baptism as it could well fit.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Offline sanqhar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 06 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Ham's Year Book, 1924 (see my post at Re: How do I research.... a Customs House Officer?
« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:54:03 ») (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,108617.0.html)

There is an M Tobin shown as employed in London Port under a list of "Officers (late Assistants)"

It shows him as having entered the Service in 1912.

The list also shows a S Tobin (joined 1901) also working in London Port under a listing for "Officers (late Examining Officers-Second Class"

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 October 06 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sanqhar

Yes, that is him :)

Unfortunately his service records were among those destroyed by enemy action in WW2 but I do have the entry showing his death in the relevant year book.

Sorry not to have replied sooner but I am wondering if your reply came about when our PC was broke (it was about that time) :-[

He died (according to the probate of his will) 6 Nov 1932 at 19 Michael Street, County Kilkenny

I have no idea how to start looking for a death/possible burial or even the location of this address in 1932 so if anybody can help there I would be most appreciative.

Casalguidi

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 September 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sanqhar

Yes, that is him :)

Unfortunately his service records were among those destroyed by enemy action in WW2 but I do have the entry showing his death in the relevant year book.

Sorry not to have replied sooner but I am wondering if your reply came about when our PC was broke (it was about that time) :-[

He died (according to the probate of his will) 6 Nov 1932 at 19 Michael Street, County Kilkenny

I have no idea how to start looking for a death/possible burial or even the location of this address in 1932 so if anybody can help there I would be most appreciative.

Casalguidi

Hiya Casalguidi,

This thread ought to go into the Guinness Book of Records. You've asked a reasonably simple question regarding an address. The obvious organisation to approach to see where 19, Michael Street is located
in Co. Kilkenny has to be An Post. If they are unable to assist try the Garda Síochána in Kilkenny.

Christopher