Author Topic: Letchworth Garden City - Is this house still there?  (Read 3088 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Letchworth Garden City - Is this house still there?
« on: Tuesday 09 September 08 08:46 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a house called "Melverley" still exists in Letchworth? I understand it is a mock-Tudor style property built in the 1930's, the former residence of a Mr. Harry Shelvoke. I have no more exact address.

Would appreciate a photo and an address if it still exists. Mr Shelvoke and his wife had no issue (I believe they died in the 1960's or 70's) and was wondering if the house is in the hands of other relatives who may be able to provide some family history.

Many thanks.

Mark

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Letchworth Garden City - Is this house still there?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 08:47 BST (UK) »
The house may be in Pixmore Way.

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

There seems to be a modern photo of Melverley on this site ;D

http://lgc.amolad.net/heritage/tour/nortonwaysouth2.htm

I'm sure somebody local will be able to tell you more about the building, there is also a museum just down the road from the house, it might be worth sending them an email to see what info they might have!

http://www.letchworthgc.com/placestovisit/history/gardencityheritagemuseum.html

Best of luck in your quest!
millerina  ;D
All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the info.

Offline philjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 January 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

this house is on Pixmore Way, near the roundabout with Norton Way South.

I have just found some details on wikipedia - it says that the name comes from a place in Shropshire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Shelvoke

The Harry Shelvoke you mention is connected with the Shelvoke & Drewry firm of dustcart manufacturers which were in Letchworth  There may be details on the firm held in the garden city heritage museum.
the museum will probably have plans of the house.
There is also a local studies section in the public library which may hold info.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/libraries/where/libs/let

Jeremy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 January 09 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Philjo - The Wiki entry is an old copy taken from my One-name website.

I have since had contact from someone who actually once lived in the house (as well as finding Harry's niece-in law who is in her 90th year), so have made more progress about the interior design and the background to Harry's ideas about his heritage and have more photos. The website has been updated.

For those interested, Harry Shelvoke believed he had some manorial connections back in Shropshire. He called his house 'Melverley' after the village and some lands once owned by the Thornes of Shelvock. Unfortunately the manorial arms adorning the inside of his house in Letchworth (no doubt made at the S&D factory) were the legitimate arms of the C15th Thornes of Shelvock & Melverley with "Shelvoke" written under them. The Shelvoke's had no rights to bear these arms. All this has been confirmed through correspondence with college of heraldry in London.

In Victorian times, it was apparently quite a popular pastime to have family research back to famous figures and nobility (as the 1826 work "The Story of Grace" also attests). Not withstanding his engineering achievements, Harry Shelvoke appeared to have been either a historical romantic or fantasist concerning his own roots. As a self-made man from humble roots, perhaps the grandeur appealed to him.

If anyone has more stories about Harry Shelvoke, I would be pleased to receive them.

Regards,
Mark Grace

Offline CarolAnnGill

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 March 24 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if we've been in contact in the past but I used to live at Melverley between 1975 to 1982. My husband and I visited the house during a house viewing after Mrs Shelvoke died and always wanted to live there. We finally made it just before out 4th child was born. If you want more info just get back to me.

Carol