Author Topic: Longs of Coleraine?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline bubbula25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Longs of Coleraine?
« on: Tuesday 09 September 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
hi everyone

looking for any Longs that would appear in Coleraine. My great-grandfather William Gregory was born in Coleraine in 1898 (around Commons area) and by doing a search myself I found a record of a John Long in Dunboe Glebe 1831, the only one recorded around this time. Does anyone have any more information? Or does anyone know of any sites that would help?

many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Longs of Coleraine?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 21:28 BST (UK) »
Not sure how you are trying to make a connection between William Gregory Long (b.1898) and a John Long in 1831 census but Griffith's Valuation shows quite a few Longs in Coleraine itself (1859). Do you know Willim's parent's names and his father's occupation?
See here for Griffith's Valuation:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bubbula25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 00:51 BST (UK) »
Not sure how you are trying to make a connection between William Gregory Long (b.1898) and a John Long in 1831 census but Griffith's Valuation shows quite a few Longs in Coleraine itself (1859). Do you know Willim's parent's names and his father's occupation?
See here for Griffith's Valuation:

Connection between William and John was possibly distant relation due to the area and the lack of Longs. Longs listed on Griffith's are in Maghera.  William was born in Coleraine but moved to Belfast where he died. As of yet we have no record of his parent's names or father's occupation, but it is thought to have been an Iron Monger as this was the family trade.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 01:11 BST (UK) »
Connection between William and John was possibly distant relation due to the area and the lack of Longs. Longs listed on Griffith's are in Maghera. William was born in Coleraine but moved to Belfast where he died. As of yet we have no record of his parent's names or father's occupation, but it is thought to have been an Iron Monger as this was the family trade.

There are Longs listed in Griffith's Valuation both under Aghadowey (just outside Coleraine) and Coleraine itself. If you go to the above site for Griffith's Valuation and put in Long for the surname, Londondeery for the county then select 'Coleraine, Liberties' there are 2 Richards, Margaret, Thomas, James and William J.

If you get William Gregory Long's birth certificate it will list the exact place of birth, names of parents and father's occupation and from there you can look for the parents' marriage, etc.
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!