Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 5 Episode #5: Ainsley Harriott  (Read 21278 times)

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 5 Episode #5: Ainsley Harriott
« Reply #72 on: Monday 15 September 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
I managed to play catch up last night ! oooh dear so thats only 4 days late..........

on BBC iPlayer and whilst I haven't downloaded it i played it "live" it was Ok as i was watching it for information not on the quality of the picture.  On the picture quality query though it seemed fine at the small screen but go full screen and the picture was in layperson terms "blurry"

However i could see the IGI entry that was submitted clearly enough to spot the name that was kept as the preferred wifes name of priscilla as opposed to Bridget .....or did i miss something else in the blur?

M
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 00:57 BST (UK) »
Next week its David Suchet ... and another Jewish search I think; interesting, no doubt, but too many in one series perhaps ??   Time we had a different slant ... maybe colonials ?  Early settlers in the US ??
How about one that stays in Britain for a change!  What's wrong with having ancestors from Scotland, England, Ireland or Wales??

Kerry

And why do people have to be celebrities- yawn !!!!!!!!!!!!
What about all the fascinating trees of the common people
Why not drop Big Brother and get on with the Real Thing
Local Trees for Local People

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 01:10 BST (UK) »
You and I are the same age, and all of these things (plus all sorts of other stuff between 410AD and 1945) were covered in my history education up to leaving school.  

The history teaching at my school was mostly centred on 18th and 19th century English (not even British!) agricultural history, and included a whole term on the Corn Laws! The only time WW2 was taught was as an option in the 5th year, by which time most pupils had given up on the excrutiatingly boring subject.

But since starting my tree, I am fascinated by history and can't read enough on it.

Slightly off subject here - but YES - history at school for me was the Tudors and then the CORN LAWS - and I love history - I just left school and came back to history later - the CORN LAWS were absolute torture - how could any idiot think that would be of interest to teenagers?  My mother taught me about WW2 - and colour prejudice and Martin Luther King - and family values - she did a better job than any history educator I know or am every likely to meet!
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 10:11 BST (UK) »
The corn laws DO have relevance to those of us with ag. lab's ...

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/PRcorn.htm

... along with the changes brought into agriculture by the acts of the Tolpuddle Martyrs ...

... but this has nothing to do with Ainsley !

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 10:43 BST (UK) »
I have recorded all episodes onto dvd if anybody would like a copy, that way, if you do not have a TV you could watch it on your pc/laptop

Jane
LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
HI

Just got around to watching this tonight on iPlayer

I thought Ainsley's story was well told, and it must indeed be very difficult to come to terms with being on both sides of the slave owning divide.

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com