Author Topic: Does anyone have the book: A History of the County of Essex  (Read 3074 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Does anyone have the book: A History of the County of Essex
« on: Wednesday 10 September 08 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wondered if anyone has the book: A History of the County of Essex: Vol 6 (1973)?

There is a chapter in this book called 'Walthamstow; Education and charities' pp. 304-17 (i think i'd be particularly interested in p.312)

i am looking for information on an orphanage called Mill hill as my grandad spent some time there as a child.
I am writing a chapter in my book about his early life - here is what I have already - it's easier if i just copy this here and then you know what i am looking for:

"With regard to the story about Desmond being sent to an orphanage, I did indeed find a record of a Desmond John Salter being admitted to St Vincent’s Catholic Orphanage 1st June 1930 aged 12 years – much older than what my dad was led to believe. He only stayed there until 1932 when all boys over the age of 11 were transferred to Wiseman House Hostel on Shernhall Street in Walthamstow. He left Mill Hill Catholic Orphanage 26th September 1932 aged 14. From Wiseman House it is possible that Desmond then was moved once more after 1931 to St George’s Roman Catholic School on Raglan Road (formerly Shernhall Place) which in 1938 became St. George's Roman Catholic senior school. However, I believe Desmond would have definitely left the school by 1938 to join the Royal Navy as the story goes that he hated being at the orphanage and he 'escaped' at the first opportunity that arose.
Desmond joined the Navy sometime during 1933-1942 – probably earlier on in that period."

I would like to verify and if possible find out anything else about any of the above named institutions and if possible any records that survive which may relate to my grandad. I think the chapter in the book may shed some light on this.

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could help - I never knew my grandad and neither did my dad...he was estranged all our lives and I am piecing the jigsaw together from scratch - so your help would be very much appreciated.

many thanks
alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Douglas P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have the book: A History of the County of Essex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 22:33 BST (UK) »
The book you are asking about is available to read online. The relevant chapter is at www.british-history.ac.uk/...

Although traditionally part of Essex, Walthamstow is now in the London Borough of Waltham Forest. Some records for this area are held at the Vestry House Museum, www.walthamforest.gov.uk/...

Another couple of sites which may help are the East of London FHS, www.eolfhs.org.uk and the Walthamstow Historical Society, www.walthamstowhistoricalsociety.org
East Kilbride:     Macaulay, Scott
Lanarkshire:      Graham, Brown, Struthers, Smith, McMillan, Napier
Dunnet:             Nicholson, Douglas
Halkirk:             Fraser, Campbell
Thurso:             Coghill, Houston
W. Lothian:       McKay
Muiravonside:   Nimmo, Robertson
Alloa:                Johnstone, Syme
Tillicoultry:         MacDonald