Author Topic: O'DOUGHERTY/ODOHERTY/ODOGHERTY/DOCHERTY  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Siamese68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'DOUGHERTY/ODOHERTY/ODOGHERTY/DOCHERTY
« on: Saturday 13 September 08 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
I'm looking for any info on Thomas O'Dougherty.
This is all I have so far:
Convict Number 8940
Received his certificate of Freedom on 15 March 1849.
Thomas O'Dougherty was Born in County Tyrone, Ireland in 1826 to Andy O'Doughtery. His mothers name is not known but he had a stepmother Margaret and a half brother William. Little is known of his early life. It has been suggested that he was involved in political activities in his native area, but the fact that he was a laborer, aged 17 years, when he was sentenced to transportation for 7 years, casts some doubt on this claim, which may have been put forward by some of his descendants as an excuse for his being transported.
He was tried at County Tyrone and found guilty of the larceny of money, in fact 2 pounds and 2 shillings, the property of his employer Robert McKeon. His record shows that he was well conducted in prison, he was single, a Roman Catholic, and that he could read and write. His description remarks that he was freckled, stout made, he had a scar on his right arm and on the back of his left hand.
He was embarked on the ship the 'North Briton' and arrived in Tasmania on April 4 1843. he was given a period of probationary Labor and stationed with a gang in Deloraine, Tasmania.
He apparently did not take to kindly to his new life, and his activities as convict number 8940 are indicative of his rebellious nature. Offences he committed and sentences he received during the period of his incarceration suggest he was in trouble quite frequently. As early as March 1844 he was charged with being absent from the works without leave. His sentence for this offence was 14 days solitary confinement. On April 23 1844, whilst on probation at Deloraine, he received 30 days solitary for absenting himself. On June 2 1844 he was given 3 months hard Labor in chains as punishment for again being absent without leave. On June 29 1844 his existing sentence to hard Labor was extended by 3 months and it was recommended he be removed to Impression Bay, Port Arthur, for misconduct in altering his irons to remove them. On December 5 1844 Thomas, on probation at Impression Bay, was sentenced to 14 days solitary for disobeying orders.
August 11 1845, for gross insolence to his overseer, he received 9 months hard Labor in chains and a recommendation to be removed to Port Arthur. October 21 1845 while on probation at Dover, he received 7 days solitary for absenting himself without leave and misconduct in making away with his leg irons, in addition 30 stripes in the breech. And so it goes on. At Darlington, (Maria Island) he disobeyed orders and received 36 lashes.

I can't find anything on him prior to his convict record.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Siamese68 :)
Traunter/Tranter Hereford
Traunter/Tranter Birmingham
O'Dougherty/Dougherty/Doherty/Docherty Tyrone

Offline james joyce

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: O'DOUGHERTY/ODOHERTY/ODOGHERTY/DOCHERTY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 November 08 02:53 GMT (UK) »
YOU NEED TO RESEARCH A SMALL FARM TOWN IN COUNTY TYRONE NAMED TRILLICK THAT IS WHERE A LARGE CLAN OF ODOUGHTERYS CAME FROM JUST GOT BACK FROM THERE, I THINK YOU WILL FIND ALL THE ANSWERS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN TRILLICK.

JAMES JOYCE  IS MY NAME AND YES I AM RELATED ALSO TO THE ODOUGHERTY CLAN FROM TRILLICK ON MY MOMS SIDE.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Offline Siamese68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 December 08 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks James i'll certainly look into the info you have given me.
If you have anymore then i would gladly welcome it
Once again thanks

Merry Christmas

Siamese :)
Traunter/Tranter Hereford
Traunter/Tranter Birmingham
O'Dougherty/Dougherty/Doherty/Docherty Tyrone

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
YOU NEED TO RESEARCH A SMALL FARM TOWN IN COUNTY TYRONE NAMED TRILLICK THAT IS WHERE A LARGE CLAN OF ODOUGHTERYS CAME FROM JUST GOT BACK FROM THERE, I THINK YOU WILL FIND ALL THE ANSWERS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN TRILLICK.

JAMES JOYCE  IS MY NAME AND YES I AM RELATED ALSO TO THE ODOUGHERTY CLAN FROM TRILLICK ON MY MOMS SIDE.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Perhaps you mean Trillick in Kilskeery Parish (Lowtherstown Poor Law Union)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!