Author Topic: Durham Birth Lookups please  (Read 1374 times)

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Durham Birth Lookups please
« on: Sunday 14 September 08 01:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could please find a birth/baptismal record for any of the following

Thomas Jewet/Jewett/Jewitt in abt 1825 (from age on 1841 census); his parents John Jewet b abt 1786 and Isabella Burdon, b abt 1785.

Isabella's father was possibly a John Burdon b abt 1761 - he was residing with the family in 1841 according to the census. Mother unknown.

Also Sarah Talbot,  born abt 1825, daughter of Thomas Talbot and ?,

All of Durham. I wonder if they can be found  ???

TIA  :-*

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Birth Lookups please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 September 08 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Where have you looked for these?   Durhamrecordsonline is a good site to start with.   I assume there is no trace on the IGI.    In 1851 they have a visitor named Mary Burdon living with them - unmarried and possibly Isabella's sister so that might help.    They are all shown as born City of Durham and some early dates for all those churches are on the IGI.    You can get the films of the full parish registers to search at your nearest LDS centre too.
Andrea

Offline lynne j

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 September 08 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi  census 1841 church st elvet and  I have put parish records at the bottom
john burdon age 86
john jewet age 55 a weaver
isabella age 56
isabella age 22
john age 20
thomas age 16
francis age 14
sarah age 12
they are all baptised at st margarets durham
john jewet the dad baptised st marg 1786 father james jewet mother barbara  marriage 19th 7 1774 james jewet to barbary mackertenay parish st marg durham

john jewet 22/3/1818 dad john a weaver mam isabella
barbara nov /12 /1820 dad john a weaver mam isabella
thomas nov/ 9 /1823 dad john a weaver mam isabella on the parish record jewet looks like jowet
francis 1826
sarah 19/4/1829 you can find all of these on igi pilot search st marg durham
isabella burdon baptised st giles durham 5/feb/1786 father john burdon mam ann
lynne j
added found st giles durham john burdon 20/7/1783 married ann allison
taylors orsett essex and durham
rundles pelynt cornwall and durham
bates bishop auckland and elvet durham
bolam chester le street
dennings durham and yorkshire
dale helmsley yorkshire and durham
todd byers green durham
toppings  wigton
curry esh and durham
waugh lanchester
mcleod durham and scotland

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 September 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
you can find all of these on igi pilot search st marg durham

kelmark,
here is the link for the site which lynne j refers to http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#
You need to click on 'Europe' and then 'England, Diocese of Durham Bishops' transcripts'.
You can then select the county, place and parish you are interested in.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 September 08 00:28 BST (UK) »
wonderful. thank you!  ;D

Offline Terri Hopkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 08 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm a friend of Deb's and we have both been working on both our trees and I promised I would post an update and a request for thoughts on our findings from our peers in this forum  :) Our sincere thanks for all the help and assistance you guys have provided.

Ok here goes . . . . .

When Dorothy Brown (nee Johnson) married Elliot March she gave her status as "Widow". Our understanding is that she would have had to prove to the officials that she was a widow before the marriage could go ahead - but for the life of us, we can find no marriage for Dorothy & William and no death certificate for William ??? and when Maria married, her father is not listed as deceased ???   ???  Dorothy's second husband was a sailor and as they lived near the docks at Jarrow it begs the question - if William Brown had died at sea, where would his death been registered?  Yup, grasping at straws here   :-\

All that said here is our thoughts . . .

1859-1861

In 1859 Dorothy Brown a widow married Elliot March, then the 1861 census lists Dorothy and her two children as Maria March aged 2 and William P March is 8 in Bishopwearmouth.

In 1871 Maria & William Brown and a younger child Thomas March (possible half brother?) are with their Aunt & Uncle Alice & Thomas Turner, Thos Turner is head of the house in Back Hopper Street and also listed is the mother in law - Isabella Johnson.  As Dorothy Brown, now Elliot's  maiden name was Johnson I'm assuming that Isabella is Gran to  Maria , William, and Thomas.

I cannot find Dorothy in 1871 - so far.

If we keep following the Turner's, in 1881 Alice Turner is still in Back Hopper St and she still has her nephew Thomas March living with her, she also has a younger child - Hannah March born in 1871 with her.  Perhaps the reason all the family were with Alice & Thos Turner in 1871 is because Dorothy was having or has just had the new baby? 

Keeping with Alice & Thomas Turner to see where it takes us too  . . . . . . in 1861 they are living in Bishopwearmoth with Alice's parents - William Johnson c1778 born Rothley and Isabella c 1786 born Rothley.

In 1851 Alice & Thos are on their own with no children listed.

In 1851 Wm & Isabella Johnson are living with another daughter, Martha (she married John Ramsey) , and her family in North Quay, Sunderland.

In 1841 William Johnson & Isabella Johnson are living in Temple Town, Jarrow with their children
George, Robert, Martha and Dorathy - Dorothy is aged 8; when she married Elliot March her birth year was 1833 - so it matches perfectly.

Keeping with the Rothley, Northumberland link I found the birth for Alice at Hartburn Church, she was born on 29 Jan 1807 and baptised on the 22nd Feb 1807 - the entry reads Alice, 2nd daughter of William Johnson of Rothley Shiel, Pitman, by his wife Isable Robson daughter of Matthew Robson, Mason.

Going back further I found Wm & Isable's marriage on the 18 April 1805 again in Hartburn Church.

If anyone is interested the full tree is Public at Ancestry.co.uk  and this branch is called OurESSEXrootsnbranches. 

If you are still reading this, you deserve a medal ;D ;D ;D  Any and all thoughts gratefully received.

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 November 08 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelmark
I don't know if these are any use to you as far as the Burden family goes. I only jotted them down as I have one rellie with the middle name of Burden and couldn't connect the name back anywhere
These are from the familysearch parish reg website and is all the information in the register

All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne
married 3rd June 1787
Thomas Sharp and Isabella Burden

All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne
Baptism 9th July 1787
William son of Thomas Burden, brewer, born 9th June 1787

Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 November 08 06:33 GMT (UK) »
and another one

All Saints Newcastle
married 11th Sept 1786
Thomas Burden and Jane Scott
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 November 08 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I will def check those out