Author Topic: Mitchell family-Jersey. Possible breakthrough. Help needed again!!  (Read 1396 times)

Offline kimkitty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell family-Jersey. Possible breakthrough. Help needed again!!
« on: Sunday 14 September 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
A few months ago I started a thread for David Thomas Mitchell.  Stewart kindly found his baptism and marriage of his parents.

Although the baptism of his mother, Esther Elizabeth Le Dain, was located, nothing on his father, Francis Mitchell, could be found.  We drew the conclusion that he was not born in Jersey.  However, there was a question on his marriage record regarding the spelling/pronunciation of his name.

In the last few days, I have received, from a fellow Le Dain researcher, a document of female Le Dain marriages - wife 1st.  The document showed only one female Le Dain married in the year 1796 in St. Helier.  This was quite exciting as Francis Mitchell and Esther Le Dain were married in 1796 in St. Helier.  On the document this Le Dain female was married to a surname "Michel", and the husband was noted as being baptised and registered in St. Helier.

Would anybody be able to look a little further into this possibility for me, please.  There is now a strong chance this could be my "Francis Mitchell" and that his baptism could have been recorded as "Francois Michel" or something similar.  As we have found no record of him in the Uk, I would be so grateful to know if this link is a dead end or not.

Many thanks
Kim

Atherton and Dawson of Wigan Lancs and Llandrindod Wells, Wales.
Wilkins of Monmouthshire, Wales.
Mewton, Prideaux and Mitchell of Cornwall.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family-Jersey. Possible breakthrough. Help needed again!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

I'm sorry to say that a further check of the baptisms has failed to come up with anything that resembles your Francis surname.

In St Helier between 1751 and 1789 there were 7 baptisms in St Helier starting with the letters Mi...

Mille
Mirriman
Miere
Millar
Mille
Miller
Mills

I re-checked the other Parishes and again nothing. I also checked the marriage and whilst it gives the place of birth for Esther as St Helier, the place of birth for Francis is blank.

Stewart

Offline kimkitty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell family-Jersey. Possible breakthrough. Help needed again!!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Many thanks for checking that for me.  Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Best wishes
Kim
Atherton and Dawson of Wigan Lancs and Llandrindod Wells, Wales.
Wilkins of Monmouthshire, Wales.
Mewton, Prideaux and Mitchell of Cornwall.