Author Topic: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh  (Read 25374 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the very interesting information, KiwiRose.  It looks as though I will have to see what I can find in the land down under.  Don't worry about causing confusion as since starting this hobby confusion has become my middle name.  With best wishes, Paul

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 January 19 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I just had to follow up on the Clarke /McCauley Queensland, Australia family, and the Ballynashee McAuley’s as the names found were so familiar.

You have done an amazing amount of research so you probably already have some, if not all, of the information below.

Marriage of Jane Clarke of Kinneygallough to James McAuley, Farmer of Ballynashee ,  24 March 1886.
Fathers: Francis Clarke and James McAuley, both farmers. Witnesses: David Bonnar and Ellen McAuley.

Will of James McAuley of Ardymagh, Townland of Ballynashee who died 1874 left his farm to sons John and James. Wife Ellen mentioned and daughters Jane McAuley, Sarah Wilson McAuley, Ellen McIlwaine McAuley, and son Edward Brice Killen McCauley.

There is now a connection found between the Cottonwood, Minnesota, Ballynashee, Antrim and Queensland, Australia McCauleys.

Cottonwood, Minnesota’s Jane Gardner (nee McCauley) whose parents were James (d 1874) and Ellen (nee Killen) McAuley of Ardymagh and her Cottonwood brother Edward with their Ballynashee brother James McAuley who married Jane Clarke in 1886. Jane Clarke McAuley’s sister, Margaret Clarke married Thomas McCauley in 1883 in Queensland, Australia.

As family often join family/neighbours when they emigrate, it would not be a surprise if Thomas McCauley did likewise in 1881. Margaret Clarke joined him in 1883. Maybe it was the Killen’s that you have mentioned. 

Kind regards,
Kiwi Rose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 January 19 06:45 GMT (UK) »
KiwiRose,
I am very grateful for your most excellent lead.  Here is what I have been able to find so far:

1.  David McCauley m. Mary Service [Were living at 13 Crosshill in 1901 census]
Probate of David's will granted to John Service and James Lamont, farmers.

2.  Thomas McCauley 1859-1934 m. 1883 Margaret Clarke 1864-1945, dau of Francis Clarke and Janet Bonar

3.  Miss J. McCauley of Kingaroy

3.  Mrs. J. Ward of Nanango

3.  Jack McCauley of Millmerran

3.  David McCauley of Nanango m. Elleanor Ann 1890-1953

4.  Flying Officer Gordon John McCauley 1910-1986; he was eganged to F. T. Powell of Taree, NSW, so there is a good chance that they later married.

4.  Mable Lorne McCauley became engaged to John Cilento Mitchell of Brisbane and Canberra.  There is also a good chance that they were later married.

4.  Ella Marjorie McCauley engaged in 1948 to Graham Robert Brandon, son of Stanley Brando of West End

3.  Frank McCauley of  "Rosneath",Mundubbera, d. 1978 m. Lillian Isabel ?, died 1979

4.  Thelma Ethel May McCauley, only dau, engaged in 1948 to marry Warwick Alexander Howie, eldest son of F. A. Howie of "Waverley", Kingaroy

3.  Service McCauley of Sandgate

3.  (William) Clarke McCauley of Mundubbera, 1899-1961 m. Minnie Christable, 1900-1986

4.  Margaret McCauley, only dau, engaged in 1948 to marry John Reen, 2nd son of J. J. Reen of Toowoomba.

3.  May McCauley m. G. H. Richards

4.  Boyd Richards engaged in 1943 to Hazel Smith, dau of C. H. Smith of Hivesville.

McCauley buried in Munduberra Cemetery whom I cannot place:

Alice Ogilvie McCauley 1920-2006
John McCauley c.1877-1976  m. Florence Susan c.1890-1954
Lee Francis McCauley 1983-2008
Ronald Francis Free McCauley, died aged 69 in 1987

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 March 19 16:37 BST (UK) »
Belfast Weekly News, 13th Aug 1870:
MACAULAY - John Macaulay, Ardymagh, Glenwherry, in the 103rd year of his age.

Is the thinking that John McAuley was the father of James McAuley who married Ellen Killen?

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 April 19 02:24 BST (UK) »
Gilby, that is what I am thinking, but I have no proof at present.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 April 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
I feel reasonably convinced because James' father was called John, and he inherited the Ardymagh farm ... unless there was another John McAuley of Ardymagh around at the same time?

By the way, I have a map which indicates where John McAuley's farm was in 1825: the farm on the north side of the Ardymagh Road, about 150m from the junction with the Ballynashee Road. 

In fact, from the look of it, I think the cottage you can see on Google may still be the same one.  No streetview unfortunately.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 02:49 BST (UK) »
Gilby, if this is the case it will do much to tie the various McCauley families together.  It makes sense as to why two of the families finally ended up living near each other in Livingston County, New York.  It may also explain why one of the families went to Australia, perhaps following the Killen family.  Still unsure about the Killen connection, though.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 04:34 BST (UK) »
Here is the way I see this family coming together.  What are your opinions KiwiRose and Gilby?

1.  James McCawley (c. 1767-8 Aug. 1870) m. 1824 Jane Gardner (c. 1773-11 July 1870) of
     Magheraban.

2.  James McCauley of Ardymaugh (c. 1809-1874) m. 1846 Ellen Brice Killen

3.  John McCauley

3.  James Killen McCauley ( c. 1858-1948) m. Jane Bonner Clarke, dau of Francis Clarke and Jenny
     Bonner

4.  James Gardner McCauley  (c. 1887 - 1964)

4.  Jinney Bonar McCauley, b. abt. 1892

4.  Ellen B. (Bonar?  Brice?) McCauley, b. abt. 1895

3.  Jane McCauley m. 1877 Andrew Gardner @ Wellington St. Presbyterian

3.  Sarah Wilson McCauley m. 1875 @ Killbride Presbyterian Church to William Adair, d. 1912,
     school master, son of John Adair with issue.

3.  Ellen McIlwaine McCauley m. 1890 David Bonnar w/issue.

3.  Edward Brice McCauley (1862-1959) m. 1893 to Annie Martin, probable dau of Moses Martin,
     w/issue

2.  Robert McCauley, b. 1823 m. Elizabeth Service, dau of John Service and Sarah Gardner

3.  George McAuley  (1861-1932) m. 1895 Mary Agnes Blair  w/issue

3.  John McCauley (1858-1903), emigrated to Livingston County in 1902;  he came with Mary
     McCauley, but on the ship's manifest she was listed as being single, while he was listed as being
     married.  She was also much younger than he.  However, I believe one of their children was

4.  John Dodds McCauley (29 Feb. 1888 - 1962) ;  buried Lakeview Cemetery, Livingston Co., NY; 
     Because of his early birthdate, I don't think that Mary could have been his mother.

3.  David McCauley (1846-1921) m. 1 1871 @ Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian to Agnes Gardiner
    (Gardner); m. 2 in USA to Mary A. Campbell. w/ issue.

3.  Sarah Jane McCauley m. 1875 @ Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian Church to William Robinson, son of
     Thomas John Robinson and Mary Townsley, w/issue. At least two of their children emigrated to
     the USA:  George Macaulay Robinson, my grandfather, moved first to NY ,then to San Rafael,
     and finally to San Francisco.  George's brother, Thomas, lived and died in Livingston C., NY.

3.  Jenny McCauley m. 1881 @ Wellinton Street Presbyterian to William Dodds w/issue;  family
     emigrated to USA and livied in Livingston Co., NY.

3.  Elizabeth McCauley (1864-1947), buried Mt. Morris City Cemetery, Livingston Co., NY
     Find a grave website #154478133; m. 1886 @ Ballymena 2nd Presbyterian to James Buchanan,
     w/issue.  They also emigrated to Livingston Co., NY

2.  David McCauley (1826-1907) m. Mary Service;  in 1901 they were living at 13 Crosshill.

3.  Thomas McCauley (1859-1934) m. 1883 Margaret Clarke (1864-1945), dau of Francis Clarke
     and Janet Bonar, thus being a sister of James Killen McCauley's wife.  Thomas emigrated to
     Australia.  w/issue.

3.  John McCauley b. 1852 m. Maggie, b. 1862   [Might he be the John McCauley who married in
     1883 to Martha Dodds @ Glenwherry Presbyterian Church?]  John and Maggie had numerous
     issue but one in particular was

4.  Edward McCauley b. abt. 1893, blacksmith;  Edward m. in 1928 Margaret Robinson, dau. of
     Robert Robinson and Mary Smiley.

People of interest that may be connected:
Mary McCauley m. 1850 John Darragh @ Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian
Catherine McAuley m. 1866  William James Carson @ Wellington St. Presbyterian
Sarah McCauley m. 1850 William Fleck @ Glenwhirry Presbyterian
Sarah McCauley m. 1865 David Fleck @ Glenwhirry Presbyterian
Sarah Jane McCauley m. 1905  Alexander Dodds @ Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian
Cassie McCauley m. 1900 James Artes Coulter @ Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian
Joseph Queery McCauley from Glenwherry;  arrived in the U.S. in 1909, aged 34; b. abt. 1875
but disappears.

Finally,
Thomas Dodds McAuley (c.1933-2010), b. Ballyalbana, d. Ontario, Canada; m. Lois Elliott;
Tom's brother was Norman McAuley, dec., husband of Elsa Millar of Ballyalbana, dau of William Millar of Ballyeaston

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 04 April 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
Paul,

Which of the McCauley may have followed Killens to Australia?  And do you know which branch of the Killens we’re talking about?

I should say I don’t actually know for sure that James McAuley inherited the land farmed by John McAuley (the one who lived to 100-odd).  All I know is roughly where John farmed, but the Griffiths map on ancestryireland does not have numbers for this area, so I don’t know exactly which bit James farmed.  It may have been a different part of Ardymagh, which seems to have consisted of at least 200 acres (IPM).

You mentioned Sarah McCauley who married David Fleck.  Her father was John McCauley.  I found this article about her funeral which mentions many relatives, including McCauley cousin and nephews.

Ballymena Observer, 20th Jan 1911:
DEATH OF MRS. DAVID FLECK, BALLYNULTO...
Amongst those present were --- David Fleck (husband), John McCauley, Greenhill; James Fleck, Cross; George Fleck, Robert Fleck, WIlliam Fleck, Bushmills (sons); James Farquhar, Clattery Knowes; William Elder, Kells (sons-in-law); George McCauley, Ardymagh (cousin); David Fleck, Greenhill; David Farquhar, Clattery Knowes (grandsons); Samuel Brown, Bog Battery; George Fleck, Greenhill; John Fleck, Clougher (brothers-in-law); William Brown, Bog Battery; Samuel Brown do.; James Fleck, Ballynulto; George Fleck, Greenhill; William Fleck, Ballynulto; Robert Fleck, Greenhill; John Fleck, do.; George Fleck, Cross; James Fleck, Ballygelly; William Fleck, Cloughan; James Carson, Lisnahilt; Andrew Hoey, Crosshill; Samuel Hoey, do.; George Fleck, Black Top; David McCauley, Bog Batter; Robert McCauley, Crosshill; Hugh Rea, do.; Thomas Rea, do. (nephews); James Fleck, sen., Ballynulto; James Fleck, Burnside; John Fleck, Woodvale; Robert Fleck, Blackstown; W. J. Fleck, Ahoghill; David McCauley, Crosshill; David McClintock, do.; Thomas McClintock, Misty Burn; Houston Hoey, do.; William McConnell, Broad Lea; Samuel Barr, Crumkill; John Speers, Maxwellswalls; James McKinney, Ballymena; Arthur Wylie, Greenhill; John Gray, Roughan; James Owens, Ballynulto; James Barton, Kerney Hill (relatives)
… [goes on to list other mourners, non-relatives]

Gilby