Author Topic: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh  (Read 25404 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh
« Reply #27 on: Friday 05 April 19 03:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gilby.  This information on the Flecks will prove quite useful.  As far as the Killens, their relationship is still a mystery.  The only bit of info concerning the Macaulays that I got from my father was that some relation went to Australia and acquired a huge amount of land there.  So far my research in this regards points only to the Killen family.  However, this is only a bit of family lore that cannot really be trusted.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 April 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hmm.  Well I suppose that could refer to Edward Killen who basically lived next door at Glenville, Jockeysquarter.  He sold up and emigrated to Australia in the 1870s and I think he ended up with vast tracts of land.

I still can’t figure out who Ellen’s father William was though.  Have you seen the original marriage cert to check he was definitely called William?  I’ve only got a transcription of the church record.

Speaking of Edward Killen, I see that was one of the witnesses to the marriage in 1846 – probably Edward senior (my ggg grandfather) who died in 1856?

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 April 19 02:18 BST (UK) »
I really haven't done that much research on Ellen or her supposed father William Killen, so I have never seen the original marriage certificate.  When I was doing research on my great grandmothe's marriage her father was listed as being Richard on the transcript that I had purchased but later it turned out to be Robert.  Quite a big gap from Richard to Robert.  Also, I found out that the following information that I had previously put may be in error:

2.  David McCauley (1826-1907) m. Mary Service;  in 1901 they were living at 13 Crosshill.

3.  Thomas McCauley (1859-1934) m. 1883 Margaret Clarke (1864-1945), dau of Francis Clarke
     and Janet Bonar, thus being a sister of James Killen McCauley's wife.  Thomas emigrated to
     Australia.  w/issue.

3.  John McCauley b. 1852 m. Maggie, b. 1862   [Might he be the John McCauley who married in
     1883 to Martha Dodds @ Glenwherry Presbyterian Church?]  John and Maggie had numerous
     issue but one in particular was

4.  Edward McCauley b. abt. 1893, blacksmith;  Edward m. in 1928 Margaret Robinson, dau. of
     Robert Robinson and Mary Smiley.

Another researcher has David McAuley's parents as being John McAuley and Mary Ann Laws.
Also, David McAuley and Mary Serviss (Service) had the following children besides Thomas:
Agnes, Robert, and William Patrick.  I need to go back and reevaluate.  Although I am sure that the two Macauley familes are related, I am not sure as to how they will fit together at the moment.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 April 19 02:18 BST (UK) »
Recent information on the Australian branch of the family plus corrections:
1.  David McCauley m. Mary Service [Were living at 13 Crosshill in 1901 census]
Probate of David's will granted to John Service and James Lamont, farmers.

2.  Thomas McCauley 1859-1934 m. 1883 Margaret Clarke 1864-1945, dau of Francis Clarke and Janet Bonar.  Probate of Tom's will granted to David of Nanango, farmer, and Francis of Mundubbera, storekeeper.

3.  Miss J. McCauley of Kingaroy

3.  Mrs. J. Ward of Nanango

3.  Jack McCauley of Millmerran

3.  David McCauley of 'Danelle',  Nanango m. Elleanor Ann 1890-1953

4.  Flying Officer Gordon John McCauley 1910-1986; he was eganged to F. T. Powell of Taree, NSW, so there is a good chance that they later married.

5.  Son born 1953

4.  Mable Lorne McCauley, 4th dau, became engaged to John Cilento Mitchell of Brisbane and Canberra.  There is also a good chance that they were later married.

4.  Ella Marjorie McCauley, youngest dau, engaged in 1948 to Graham Robert Brandon, only son of Stanley Brandon of West End

4.  Benjamin Thomas McCauley m. 1940 Edna Peterson, dau of Charles Peterson
     [Edna' brother was Stan Peterson and her sister, Mrs C. Evans].

5.  Son born 1942

4.  Ken McCauley

3.  Frank McCauley of  "Rosneath",Mundubbera, d. 1978 m. 1914 to Lillian Isabel Free, died 1979;
     Married at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church;  Lillian was the 2nd dau of Ben Free of Rose Lawn,
     Clifton;  [Her family members--Ethel Free, sister, Janet Sylvia Free, sister, Miss A. Free, sister
     and George and Roy Free, possible brothers.  Her sister, Janet, m. in 1928 to Arthur Ford, son of
     W. E Ford of King's Creek.]  In 1949 Frank was living at Frankvale and ranching 3,700 acres.
     He had moved to Mundubbera in 1917.

4.  Thelma Ethel May McCauley, only dau, engaged (need to double check date) to marry Warwick
     Alexander Howie,eldest son of F. A. Howie of "Waverley", Kingaroy;  Looks as those this
    engagement was broken as Thelma married in 1942 to John (Jack) Maxwell, only son of W. J.
    Maxwell of Brisbane.

4.  Ronlad Francis Free McCauley, only son (1918-1987).  Married in 1947 to Alice Webb, dau of late W. E. Webb of Reid River, Townsville.  Alice was a nurse.  She had a brother, Henry Webb.  Their marriage took place at St. John's Church of England.  Also, Alice had a sister, Mrs S. Wright.

5.  Son

3.  Service McCauley of Sandgate

3.  (William) Clarke McCauley of Mundubbera, 1899-1961 m. Minnie Christable, 1900-1986

4.  Margaret McCauley, only dau, engaged in 1948 to marry John Reen, 2nd son of J. J. Reen of Toowoomba.

3.  May McCauley m. G. H. Richards

4.  Boyd Richards engaged in 1943 to Hazel Smith, dau of C. H. Smith of Hivesville.

McCauley buried in Munduberra Cemetery whom I cannot place:

Alice Ogilvie McCauley 1920-2006
John McCauley c.1877-1976  m. Florence Susan c.1890-1954 (This might be Service McCauley)
Lee Francis McCauley 1983-2008

Not buried there but unable to place her.
In 1938 Salvation Army Capt. Glays McCauley of Nanango m. Capt. H. Baskin of Petersham.

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 23:46 BST (UK) »
You mentioned Sarah McCauley who married David Fleck.  Her father was John Fleck.  I found this article about her funeral which mentions many relatives, including McCauley cousin and nephews.

Regarding the Flecks, a surname I am unfamiliar with, NZ’s Papers Past has a Waipukurau marriage listed in the Patea Mail on the 23 Sept 1931 of Mary Ann the 4th daughter, of Mrs and the late John Fleck, Moorfields, Ballymena, North Island (Ireland?) to a Raymond Lord.  I see that there was a John Fleck of Greenhill listed amongst the mourners at the funeral of MRS. DAVID FLECK, BALLYNULTO in 1911.

Hmm.  Well I suppose that could refer to Edward Killen who basically lived next door at Glenville, Jockeysquarter.  He sold up and emigrated to Australia in the 1870s and I think he ended up with vast tracts of land.

Searching NZ’s newspapers at the Papers Past site using ‘Glenwherry / Glenwhirry’ as a search word throws up a couple of familiar Antrim names including the below:
The death of Isabella, the youngest daughter of the late Edward Killen, Esq., of Glenwille, Glenwhirry, County Antrim, Ireland. Northern Advocate, 9 February 1920 at the home of her niece, Mrs Henry Smith.
I see that she was 77 yrs old according to her death registration (under Killin)i.e.  bc 1843.
There is a mention in Edward Killen of Glenwhirry’s 1856 Will of his daughter, Isabella.

Isabella’s will is available to view online. It may contain some clues to advance your Killen search.
"New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Probate Records, 1843-1998," FamilySearch.org  (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2XL-SPND : 21 February 2019), Isabella Killen, 1920; citing , , record number 13957, Archives New Zealand, Auckland Regional Office; FamilySearch digital folder 101543881.

Also the probate site has  a John Killen’s will (b. Glenville, nr Ballymena,Co Antrim,  d 1920 Katikati, NZ.) who is probably Isabella’s brother. He was 91 years old. As well as his children in Australia except for one NZ daughter , John’s will mentions his cousin a James Miller Killen of Horahora, Whangarei.
 James Miller Killen’s  July 1928 obituary states that  was born in Co Down, became a Presbyterian Minister then  a lawyer and Mayor of Whangarei.

I spotted an Edward Brice Killen Gordon born 1885 in NZ. He served in WW1.  I seems his parents were a Martha Killlen and Rev David Gordon. Martha’s father was a Rev. James Killen of the First Church, Cumber, Co Down. I think the Rev. James was born in Antrim.

You may or may not be aware of this site on Rootsweb which could help you out with your family Australian connection that your father spoke about.
KILLEN Family of Carnmoney & Ballymena (and the New World) - NIR ...
https://lists.rootsweb.com/hyperkitty/list/nir-antrim@rootsweb.com/thread/10783395/

Sep 7, 2001 - The main Antrim family names of interest to me are: KILLEN, ... It can be viewed & accessed at: http://worldconnect.genealogy. ... These two sons, and a third, Edward Killen (1800-1856) who lived at Glenville,

And:

Ted Marr's MARR KILLEN YOUNG GRAY WILSON TURNER ...

wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=tedmarr&recno...

Nov 1, 2013 - KILLEN, Edward b: 14 OCT 1833 in Co. Antrim,,,Ireland d: 4 JAN 1909 in Manly,,NSW,Australia KILLEN, Edward b: 1 FEB 1895 in Ireland,,,

The above Edward and family seem to be the only down under Killens that owned a considerable amount of land (NSW around the now greater Sydney area ) although there does not seem to be a close McAuley connection.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 00:03 BST (UK) »
Belfast Weekly News, 13th Aug 1870:
MACAULAY - John Macaulay, Ardymagh, Glenwherry, in the 103rd year of his age.

Is the thinking that John McAuley was the father of James McAuley who married Ellen Killen?

I feel reasonably convinced because James' father was called John, and he inherited the Ardymagh farm ... unless there was another John McAuley of Ardymagh around at the same time?

By the way, I have a map which indicates where John McAuley's farm was in 1825: the farm on the north side of the Ardymagh Road, about 150m from the junction with the Ballynashee Road. 

Gilby may be able to shed some light on my following question about Ardmagh.

Could Ardymagh come under the heading of Lower Glenwherry in 1813?

My feeling is that John and Jane (Gardner) McCawley/ McAuley are possibly the couple recorded in the 1813 Ballyeaston Census residing in Lower Glenwhirry. At that time the couple had two sons, David 9 and James 3 and three daughters, Elisabeth 8, Jane 5, Ann 6mths.

The only other McAuley family in the Ballyeaston Census were in Ballyboley: Robert 52yrs, wife Jennet 53, farmers and chn, Margaret 22, Thomas 20, Susan 13 and finally a John 4 (!!)

It is also my current thinking that the John and Jane (Gardner) McCawley, farmer, of Ardymagh who featured in “Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland” - “Some recent Cases of Remarkable Longevity” published in 1893 are the couple in Lower Glenwherry in 1813 Census.

According to the article, John married aged 30 yrs and Jane was six years younger.  This would make Jane really c33yrs in 1813 with plenty of child bearing years ahead of her. In 1813 there is no son named after his father which was the usual practice in Ireland.  It also said that John McCawley of Ardymagh had 4 sons and 6 daughters all of whom were still alive, other than one daughter, when John died in Aug 1870.

Unfortunately John doesn’t seem to have left a will which would have been a big help in finding all his children.     

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.       

Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of your hard work, Kiwi Rose.  I haven't gotten around to doing much research on the Killen family as more marriages had taken place amongst the Gardeners and Service (Serviss) families.  These connections have been keeping me busy enough.  As far as the Fleck family is concerned this might be of interest as they also ended up in Livingston County, New York, along with the Macauleys, Gardners, Adairs, etc.

1.  William Fleck married Sarah McCauley in Co. Antrim.
2.  Martha Fleck (1863-1907) m. 1889 John Bovee.
     They were living in Livingston County in the usual area around
     the towns of Groveland, Dansville, and Mt. Morris.
3.  Victor David Bovee (1891-1961) m. Mary Mastin.
3.  Marjorie Bovee m. a Mr. Rudledge and was living Scottsburg.
3.  Alice Bovee m. a Mr Kreiley and was living in Dansville.
2.  Isabelle F. Bovee (1892-1982) m. 1918 Oswald S. Brenning
3.  Frances Brenning m. Robert Hardiman of Barneveld
2.  Sarah Bovee (1899-1975) m. James Noble
3.  Jean Noble m. Mr. Kenyon
3.  Donald J. Noble (1921-1981) live Conesus
3.  John Noble of Groveland
2.  Edith Bovee m. Mr. Toland of Groveland

Mt. Morriss area seems to be basically an agricultural area so families tended to intermarry.  The above mentioned Mastin family was one such family that is connected.to other Antrim families.  Not sure about the others.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi KiwiRose,

First I should point out I made a mistake in a post you quoted:

You mentioned Sarah McCauley who married David Fleck.  Her father was John Fleck.  I found this article about her funeral which mentions many relatives, including McCauley cousin and nephews.

This should say, “her father was John McAuley”.  His father was George Fleck.  (According to the church record transcription on Rootsireland.ie)

Thanks for the link to Isabella Killen’s will.

James Miller Killen of Whangarei was married to his 1st cousin 1r Annie Gilbert, daughter of William John Gilbert and Ellen Orr Killen.  Ellen’s father was Edward Killen of Glenville.  James’ father was the Rev James Miller Killen of Comber, Co Down, who was brother to Edward Killen of Glenville.

Martha Killen was a sister of James Miller Killen of Whangarei.  She married David Gordon at her father’s church in Comber in 1876.

Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 22:16 BST (UK) »

Gilby may be able to shed some light on my following question about Ardmagh.

Could Ardymagh come under the heading of Lower Glenwherry in 1813?

Unfortunately I don’t know the answer to the Ardymagh / Lower Glenwherry question.  I’ll see if I can find any clues tomorrow night.

In looking for the snippet about John McCawley in the “Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland” I came across this snippet from an earlier paper of the same name in 1890:

“Robert Macauley, of Glenwherry, near Ballyclare, died a few years ago, aged 103 years.  His wife followed shortly afterwards, aged 102 years.”