Author Topic: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh  (Read 25398 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 23:59 BST (UK) »
I found this yesterday searching through the Trove website:

1929--Mr and Mrs T. H. Hoey of Allora, Upper Forest Spring emigrated to Australia in 1880 from Glenwherry.  They were married in 1879.   When he got married his best man in Ireland was T. (Thomas) McCaully (McCauley) of Nanango.  Also mentioned celebrating their Golden anniversary were some of their Australian relations:  Mr King Hoey, Jack Hoey and Mr D. Hoey.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 12 April 19 07:26 BST (UK) »
I am not sure how the following are connected.  These are just some miscellaneous notes that I have collected:
Glenwherry Presbyterian Church-1895 marriage of William John M'Clean, eldest son of John M'Clean of Ballyalbana, to Maggie, eldest dau of Thomas Gardner of Glenwherry.
-----------------------------------------------------

Andrew Gardinier m. Sarah Kirkwood  1795-1889; of Ballyeaston; children:   Andrew, John, James, Hugh, Agnes, Mary and Anne; some? emigrated to Canada.
------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  David Gamble m. Rebecca Carrell
2.  Margaret Gamble 1811-1902, b. in Philadelphia; m. 1832 David Service 1810-1867, born in Ire.
3.  Rebecca Service 1833-1853
3.  Thomas Service, b. 1834, Michigan
3.  Elizabeth Service 1836-1856
3.  David Gamble Service, b. 1841 Michigan; m. 1880
     emma Jane Henderschott, dau of James Bride Henderschott.
3.  Robert Service 1843-1892
3.  Margaret Service 1845-1913
3.  Ann Service 1850-1920 m. 1870 John A. Gregg
3.  Mary Service 1852-1905
3.  Douglas Service
---------------------------------

Old Rashee Cemetery
1.  John Service m.
2.  Robert  Forest Service 1805-1879 m. Mary Cameron and had
3.  Jennet Service 1828-1834, godparents being William Bell and Margaret Service
3.  John Service 1830-1916
3.  Elizabeth Service 1832-1911 m. Thomas Spencer 1825-1920;  South Carolina (findagrave)
---------------------------------------------

1.  Thomas Gardiner m. Susan Stirling
2.  William H. Gardiner b. 1874 in Ballynashee; died in L. A. in 1959 m.
     Nellie Margaret McGovern
3.  Mary
3.  William J.
3.  Nellie Susan
--------------------

1.  Thomas Service m. Agnes Bonner
2.  Joseph Service b. abt 1768 m. 1830 Mary Smythe Williams;  emigrated to Australia
----------------------------------------

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 12 April 19 10:18 BST (UK) »

Glenwherry Presbyterian Church-1895 marriage of William John M'Clean, eldest son of John M'Clean of Ballyalbana, to Maggie, eldest dau of Thomas Gardner of Glenwherry.

For reference, marriage 1895

Party 1 Name   WILLIAM MCCLAIN
Party 2 Name   MAGGIE GARDNER
Date of Event   14 October 1895
Group Registration ID   2234315
SR District/Reg Area   Ballymena

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1895/10540/5839310.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 12 April 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
Ballyalbanagh townland, civil parish of Ballycor.

https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/antrim-upper/ballycor/ballyalbanagh/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 13 April 19 09:15 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglassan, many thanks for the added input.  All is very much appreciated.  More of my scattered notes:
Irish census of 1901 had David Fleck living at 12 Ballynulto.  Along with his were his wife Sarah and the following children:  Esther, Robert, James, William and George.  In 1911 David was listed as a widower but still living with him at 4 Ballynulto were George, Robert, William and probably just visiting his niece, Martha.    Martha was the daughter of John Fleck who in 1901 lived at 1 Green Hill, Glenwherry.  Interesting that a farm servant of John Fleck's was a Robert Macauley, aged 15.

Some will probates:  John McAuley of Crosshill, d. 1880, probate of will to David McAuley of Artlone and John Rea of Crosshill;  David McAuley of Crosshill died 1907, probate to John Servie and William James Lamont;  Robert McAuley of Crosshill died 1949, probate of will to Andrew Miller and William Hugh Brown.

Australia--1862, James Service of Co. Antrim m. Ellen Donoghue, 3rd dau of R. Donoghue of Co. Down;  1865--Ballarat, Hugh Beggs, son of William Beggs of Larne m. Ann Coupar, dau of John Coupar of Berwick, Mornington;  1888--Death of Mary Service, aged 78, formerly of "The Colon," Co. Antrim. She lived at Edward Street, Pyrmont;  1907--At Brookvale, alte of Horsham, death of James Beggs, native of Ballyclare, aged 80 years and five months;  1916--At Hopkins Point, Mary Gardner, wife of John Logan, aged 78, native of Broughshane, Co. Antrim.  She was buried Warrnambool Cemetery;  1921--Enid Booth, dau of Dr. James Booth, married W. J. Beggs, owner of Moglomenbie Station, son of Thomas Beggs, formely of Galgorm Castle, Co. Antrim.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 14 April 19 11:09 BST (UK) »
Also for reference, this is the full extract about John and Jane McCauley from “Some Recent Cases of Remarkable Longevity” (Seaton F. Milligan) in The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Fifth Series, Vol. 2, No. 3 (Oct., 1892), pp. 224-236

The following is a verbatim copy of a letter written in reply to some queries of mine, by an old schoolmaster who lives near Ballyclare, county Antrim; it is interesting from the quaint style in which it is written, as well as for its minuteness of detail:-" A short account of John M'Cawley, of Ardymagh, farmer, county of Antrim, barony of Upper Antrim. He was born in Braidlee, Glenwherry, of humble parents, both natives of said county, and about one mile distant between their places of birth. He married at the age of 30 years one Jane Gardiner, a native of Magheraban, in the next townland to where he was born; she was his junior by the space of six years. The marriage was performed by a blind minister who resided in Larne, who was allowed to earn his living by such. Both walked on foot to his destiny(1) and back; no conveyance was requisite. The said John M'Cawley entered upon their new career of life, for better for worse, with a goose and her goslings; made favourable progress onwards and upwards to sumptous­neas and respectability. He was never known to have been the worse of any strong drink but once in an April market in Ballyclare. He was pressed owing to some extra business to partake of two or three halfs, of which he was a great amount the worse, he said, as when he reached his destiny, got into bed, ejected a few mouthfulls. He was never known to have a headache, or sickness of any kind, neither smoked or chawed any ingredient excepting his food. Had all his teeth with him to the grave, all of them a double(2) set. His grey hairs were so few as not to be perceptible to the eye at a short distance, it was very dark and crisp, he had not much sickness at his latter end. They both died in Ardymagh, about one mile distant from each of their places of birth; she died first, and he on that day month exactly. She died on 12th July, aged 97 years, he on 12th August, aged 103. It is believed that both deaths occurred at same hour of day, two o'clock. He was father to 4 sons and 6 daughters, all of which were alive at his decease but one daughter. He had 46 grandchildren living at same time, viz. 19 grandsons, and 27 granddaughters. As to great grandchildren it is not known whether there were any or not, if any they could not be more than 3 or 4 at most. Emigration intervened, and docs so still; there are any amount of such since his death."

1. For destination.
2. I made enquiries, and was informed his front teeth were formed, like his molars, the same all round.

^ This is copied using Adobe OCR, so will no doubt contain errors.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 14 April 19 12:38 BST (UK) »
I’ve had a look for more references to Lower/Upper Glenwherry and pretty much drew a blank, so I’m not sure whether it could include Ardymagh.  I would guess not, because it probably just refers to different parts of Glenwherry townland.

I don’t think that rules out John and Jane McAuley from being the couple who died aged about 100 in 1870.  They are both listed as being aged about 39, which is about right for Jane, though John seems to have aged by an extra few years by 1870 (which isn’t unusual!).  Their eldest child being 9 fits with the parents marrying when they were roughly 30.  Though, as KiwiRose mentioned, Jane would have needed to have been a bit younger (say 6 years as per the journal article) to have had Robert in c1824.

Their son James aged 3 is perfect for James McAuley of Ardymagh who died in 1874 aged 65.  I paid for the certificate for James McAuley’s marriage to Eleanor Killen in 1846.  Her father is recorded as William there too.  The only difference is her address is “Glensie” rather than Glore.  I’m not sure where Glensie is…?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 14 April 19 12:38 BST (UK) »
The John McCauley and his Gardner wife who both lived to an advanced age was mentioned by one of the McCauleys who had emigrated, so I believe their story that was in the Journal of Archeology for Antrim to be true.  However, finding out the relationship between all of them is a whole different kettle of fish.  My first break came when I found that my grandfather's passage (George McCauley Robinson's) had been paid by his uncle and that my grandfather's brother, Thomas Robinson, had also immigrated,  Tom stayed and died in Livingston Co., NY whereas my grandather died in SF.

Paul, a couple of questions!  Who was the émigré McCauley who mentioned John McCauley and Jane Gardner?  Who was the uncle that paid your grandfather’s passage?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 14 April 19 14:30 BST (UK) »
KiwiRose,
I am very grateful for your most excellent lead.  Here is what I have been able to find so far:

1.  David McCauley m. Mary Service [Were living at 13 Crosshill in 1901 census]
Probate of David's will granted to John Service and James Lamont, farmers.

2.  Thomas McCauley 1859-1934 m. 1883 Margaret Clarke 1864-1945, dau of Francis Clarke and Janet Bonar

Do we have anything confirming the parents’ names in the marriage of Thomas McAuley to Margaret Clarke in 1883 in Australia?

When David’s daughters married in 1879 and 1880 (Jane to Thomas Hugh Hoey, and Sarah to Samuel Warden) their address is given as Artlone which is between Toome and Randalstown.  Is there a known connection to that area?

Added:  A David McAuley of Crosshill married Catherine Marshall in 1893.  This David’s father was also called David – if this is the above David then David junior isn’t mentioned in his father’s will.