Author Topic: Dunnottar House  (Read 47006 times)

Offline Willsg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunnottar House
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Sandra, I really don't know what to say and can't thank you enough for your time and efforts. Bringing Mr H.O Ritchie's rifle back to life after so many years of storage has been quite an undertaking (including sending it to Austria to have the barrel restored while retaining it's original manufacturers marks. No easy task!). I realise this may not be to everyone's taste, and I have no wish to offend anyone who may be so, but bringing it back to the highlands this October for a red stag will be an incredibly emotional experience for me especially as now, thanks to you, I know so much of its previous owners history.
Thanks all so so much

William  SG

Offline Willsg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
.........I only wish I could afford a bottle of Glenury Royal to bring along to!

Offline Willsg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
 Oh what the heck, special occasion & all that  ;)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:46 BST (UK) »

Quite an interesting family to follow.........Pleaaed to help throw some light on them.

Happy Hunting.............

Reqards
Sandra

Enjoy.........think this Glenury Royal 1984 might be the cheapest end..................

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline coplani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
Or one could really push the boat out....

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/8102/glenury-royal-50-year-old

slangevar

Ian

Offline Willsg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Agreed Sandra, a very interesting family.
Haha! That's quite an outstanding price Ian! If the highland outing wasn't a prenuptual trip for a couple of very dear stalking friends who would polish off the bottle as soon as I nodded off it may have been worth remortgaging the house.

Offline genealpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Willsg, Sandra, Ian and all...I'm pleased to see that, after several years of dormancy, the subjects of Dunnottar House and the Ritchie family, have been revived.
Since my last contributions, I have married (in November 2010) the lady that I previously referred to as the great granddaughter of Capt. William Ritchie; and, therefore, the great niece of Henry Oliphant Ritchie...who's brother, Charles Edward Ritchie was my wife's grandfather.  As her descendence was through the male line, she retained the Ritchie family name until her first marriage.
I developed an interest in researching my family history many years ago, and that has lead me into extending this to my wife's family. 
I have compiled a very extensive computerised family tree/date base, with many photographs and notes relating to events in the lives of those recorded.  Although I have a large number of photos of my family members, it appears that the Ritchie's tended to avoid being photographed, and I have virtually none - indeed, the one Ian provided, of a group of folk at the front of Dunnottar House (I feel that they are likely be the Ritchie family), is the only one I have....and that's perhaps debatable. 
The notes that I record and attach to the individuals' entries, are, in many cases, quite simple in essence....but they provide clues as to the nature and interests of those people....I have saved the comments made by Willsg regarding the rifle that belonged to Henry Oliphant Ritchie, and attached them to his entry in my "tree"....I would love to have a photograph of the rifle, Willsg.... that would be a rather poignant link with....I believe he was known as "Harry".   I used to do a lot of shooting and fishing - 12 bore rather than rifle; and there are very personal and emotional associations between the outdoors, the seasons of the year, the guns and respect for the wildlife involved.
During my research, I was in touch with the Archivist to the Royal Collection Trust in Windsor....I was in the process of arranging to buy copies of portraits of some of the recipients of the Order of Merit, that were painted by Charles Edward Ritchie (my wife's grandfather - I thought!).  Although Charles was a noted artist, there was an Australian contemporary, with exactly the same name and producing his paintings during the same period of time.  It transpired that the Tasmanian Charles Edward Ritchie was responsible for the Order of Merit portraits. 

Offline Willsg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Genealpete.  Firstly congratulations on your marriage! It's lovely to know, after so much digging through the past, that the family carries on into the future. Secondly, I would be absolutely delighted to send you photos of the rifle and all of its associated documents with 'Harry's name and address as entered into the J Rigby & Co ledger & day books. It may be of interest to you that it is one of their rarest models and Harry's one may be the only surviving 'take down' model. The previous action to his was made for His royal highness the king of Portugal and was delivered to Buckingham palace!
As my photos are of too high a resolution to post on this forum, would it be acceptable for me to give you my email address on this chat so you can contact me and I'll send them that way?
Kind regards
WillSG

Offline coplani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Will,
Regarding your photos being too high resolution...A wee tip...If you click on the file and open with microsoft paint...then do not alter it but save as a jpeg onto your desktop, it should be seen as a jpeg with much less memory use...

Ian