Author Topic: "Inmate?  (Read 8021 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Inmate?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 02:04 BST (UK) »
Elaine is quite right

I wasn't, for even an instant, thinking otherwise - do hope you didn't interpret my comment differently.  I hadn't seen the term used in that fashion before, despite overspending on SP for the past few years  ;D,  & was glad to see the explanation.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 10:06 BST (UK) »
Automatically think of poorhouse for "inmate"

I did too Trish until someone on Roots a few years back put me right  :)

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Bill Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much, I must admit I thought that was what it meant, but it's nice to have it clarified.
I only stumbled on this DC by accident, I had a few spare credits so decided to get Helen's brother's DC-BUSFIELD FRASER, the informant to his death was NELLIE BYIERS, could not find a marriage for HELEN FRASER & BYIERS, but found her DC which sated she was married to JOHN FAIRWEATHER BYIERS, with this rather unusual name I thought I would easily find him-still looking.
Regars.
Bill