Author Topic: McQuillan in Edinburgh  (Read 9402 times)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
McQuillan in Edinburgh
« on: Monday 15 September 08 21:54 BST (UK) »
I was busy showing off my research abilities at work the other day and agreed to help a friend get started and have immediately hit a brick wall. I am planning a trip to the LRO soon but wondered if anyone here could help in the meantime.

I have Philip James McQuillan b1924 parents thought to be John McQuillan possibly from Edinburgh originally and Mabel Hill thought to be from Somerset originally. No idea of ages . I have found Philips birth record in Liverpool 1924 mothers maiden name Hill.  Known siblings to Philip  are Joe, Frank, Bill, Annie and Mabel order unknown.

Found other children, Joseph 1911 (Joe), Sarah A in 1916 (?Annie), William 1920 (Bill), James 1922 (also death in 1923) and Francis 1926 (Frank) all children born in Liverpool all with maiden name Hill. Cannot find a Mabel McQuillan anywhere. .

Cannot find a marriage for John McQuillan and Mabel Hill anywhere. Have searched various spellings and even looked for anyone called McQuillan marrying anyone named Hill in case memories of names are wrong. Also looked outside of Liverpool just because kids were born in Liverpool does not mean parents married there. Possibly Somerset if that is where Mabel was from. I  came to the conclusion they never married :-(

However another rootschatter looked on Scotlands people for me and found a marriage for Robert McQuillam and Mabel Hill in 1906 St Giles Edinburgh and births of some children named McQuillam including Annie 1906 Canongate and Mabel Florence 1909 Newington which look kinda promising. She suggested I ask on here if anyone could find out any more for me.

Are there any street directories that could be searched to work out when Robert and Mabel were in Edinburgh or when they left or give his occupation.

or any other help you can think of  ;D

Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: McQuillan in Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
Just a quick observation Donna - I recall searching for a McQuillan in the past and the family were known as McWilliam (or vice versa).
A search of RC for McQuillan might find that thread.
Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 September 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna

Looks promising that 1906 certificate  :)

Mabel Hill, 20 (1886), typist -  parents William (deceased),  a tailor and mother Annie Dolbear, previously Hill, m.s. not sure
Robert McQuillan, 22 (1884), plasterer - parents Phillip (deceased), a plasterer and mother Margaret Linn

I think this might be Mabel with step-father and family in Plymouth in 1891:

William Dolbear 34, wood sawyer, b. Plymton Devon
Annie Dolbear    58 (looks more like 38 on the original), b Plymouth Devon
William Hill 17, b Plymouth Devon
Frederick Hill 15, b Plymouth Devon
Hetty Hill    15, b. Windsor
Florence Hill 11, b Plymouth Devon
Mary Hill    9, b Plymouth Devon
Mabel Hill 5, b Plymouth Devon

I'll have a look for anything else I can see...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:00 BST (UK) »
This looks like the family of Robert McQuillan in 1891 (trying to catch them earlier with fathers both showing as deceased in 1906):

Philph McQuillian 45, Plasterers Labourer, b. Ireland
Margaret McQuillian 40, b. England
John McQuillian 23, b. England
James McQuillian 21, b. England
Philp McQuillian 18, b. England
Mary Anne McQuillian 15, b. England
Margaret McQuillian 12, b. England
Robert McQuillian 7, b. Edinburgh
Joseph McQuillian 3, b. Edinburgh

Address: 3 New Street, Canongate Edinburgh

Donna, I can't tell you whether this is the right family. Hopefully your work colleague can add some more detail.

Monica  :)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:02 BST (UK) »
Just a quick observation Donna - I recall searching for a McQuillan in the past and the family were known as McWilliam (or vice versa).
A search of RC for McQuillan might find that thread.
Dave

I did try a search of rootschat for McQuillan when I started this most of them were from Ireland and I did see the thread about McWilliam although I think I got distracted by reading the detail  :). I think I came to the conclusion that I would wait until I had more detail about the parents first but thanks anyway
Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:10 BST (UK) »
For Mabel in 1901, this is the closest I can see with her showing living with grandparents in Plymouth:

George A Marsh 75, publican, b. Plymouth
Mary A Marsh 74, b. Devonport
Mabel Hill 15, granddaughter, shorthand xxx typist, b Plymouth (occupation matches with that 1906 MC)

For Robert that year, there is only one possible entry showing for a 17 yr old Robert McQuillen, footman at Camnethan Mauscon House (spl?), Cambusnethan Lanark.

Monica

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:23 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks so much Monica that does look like them doesn't it as the names of their children are family names. Are those details from the marriage certificate  online then? Does m.s unknown mean marital status?

She gets around that Mabel doesn't she now ending up in Plymouth

Have just found them in 1881  ;D  Can I be really cheeky and ask is there anything earlier than 1881 I don't think this is a wild goose chase but will tell my friend to get her grandfathers birth cert to be definite I think

Donna

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:29 BST (UK) »
Trying to figure out the maiden name of Mabel's mother Annie (I think it looks like Tremills). I can see the marriage between Annie and William Dolbear (second husband) but she is showing as Hill, so still not clearer (but at least this marriage cert will confirm father's name):

3rd Qrt 1889  
DOLBEAR    William/ Hill Annie at  Plympton St Mary   Vol. 5b Page 393

No idea how Mabel got from Plymouth to Edinburgh, maybe the job as typist offered opportunities?

Certainly worthwhile your friend getting Phillip's 1924 birth cert to verify names etc.  ;)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:34 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering the same thing how did she get from Plymouth to Edinburgh and then how did they end up in Liverpool...or maybe they each came halfway up/down the country met in Liverpool and went back to his family in Edinburgh to get married