Author Topic: McQuillan in Edinburgh  (Read 9400 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McQuillan in Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 11:38 BST (UK) »
The possible death for the William Hill we have is 1887 - so Mabel could easily have been born to him (as father!) in 1886  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 11:50 BST (UK) »
I think I found the marriage for Philip McQuillan of the full index BMD search:

Philip McQuillen (looks like e rather than a) Auckland (Durham) Refs 3rd Qrt 1865 Vol 10a Pg 286

Can't see the corresponding entry with Margaret though  :-\

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 11:57 BST (UK) »
Donna

Might be easier if you decide to view the death cert for Margaret Linn/McQuillan in Scotland and get her parents' names from there. With that info, we can try and find her in England before she married and then try looking for her in 1871 with Philip with a place of birth for her. It will also let you verify, if you order that 1865 marriage cert in Auckland, that you have the right marriage with confirmation of her father's name.

Monica

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 23:39 BST (UK) »
The possible death for the William Hill we have is 1887 - so Mabel could easily have been born to him (as father!) in 1886  :)

::) blame it on rushing to work and trying to research at same time I saw 1881 in your original message and didn't read it properley. It does fit well doesn't it

I think I found the marriage for Philip McQuillan of the full index BMD search:

Philip McQuillen (looks like e rather than a) Auckland (Durham) Refs 3rd Qrt 1865 Vol 10a Pg 286

Can't see the corresponding entry with Margaret though :-\

I saw that one too but if he married Margaret then using her age from the census she would only be 14 I assume that would be way too young wouldn't it??  Maybe he married someone else first?
 I worked till 2230 last night and then a long day today so haven't had a chance to look any further yet. Will sit down tomorrow and sort it all out and have ordered Philips birth cert from 1924 to ensure we are on right track

Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 September 08 22:41 BST (UK) »
Just to keep it all together  ;)

1st marriage

Sarah Ann Tremills to William Hill jun qtr 1872 Plymouth vol 5b 461

1861 census
Address 1 Claremont Place St Andrews Plymouth Devon
Sarah Ann Tremills age 6 with grandparents
William Osbourne head 58 pensioner R Navy Kent Maidstone
Elizth Osbourne wife 59 Plymouth Devon
Wm R  Osbourne son unm 18 shipwright
Emma Parnell daughter 23 married Tailoress Plymouth Devon (married Edward Parnell in 1959)
Henry Brooks son in law widower 29 seaman HM Service Kent Woolwich (??married Harriet)
Richard Edward Brooks grandchild 9mnths Plymouth Devon

Birth record
Sarah Ann Tremills jun qtr 1854 Plymouth Devon vol 5b 231

1851 census
address 1 Claremont Court  St Andrew Plymouth devon
William Osbourne head married ?53 shoemaker Maidstone Kent
Elizabeth wife 48 Plymouth Devon
Amelia daughter 12 Plymouth Devon
William Richard son 8 scholar Plymouth Devon

1841 census
Richmond  Street St Andrew Plymouth Devon
William Osbourne 45 Mariner Devon
Elizabeth Osbourne 35 Devon
Ellen 12 Devon
Harriett 9 Devon (Brooks)
Emma 3 Devon (Parnell)
Amelia 2 Devon
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 September 08 09:30 BST (UK) »
Well done you  ;) No wonder I couldn't find the marriage for Annie Tremills to William Hill if she was actually called Sarah Ann!  There is a marriage showing for an Osbourne and Tremills - so happen in Plymouth:

4th Qrt 1846: Nathaniel Tremills and Mary Ann Osborne     Plymouth - 9/ 525

The couple in 1851 in Plymouth:

Nathaniel Tremills 26, tailor, b. Dodbrooke, Devon
Mary Ann Tremills 24, b. Plymouth
George Tremills 1, b Plymouth

There is a 13yr old Mary Tremills in 1841 born in Devon, working as female servant away from home.

In 1861, it looks like Nathaniel Tremills may have died as Mary Ann shows a widow living in St Andrews Plymouth where Sarah Ann (daughter?) is living with grandparents:

Mary A Tremills 36, widow, dress maker, b. St Andrew Plymouth
George Tremills 11
Richard Tremills 5
Fedrick Tremills 3
Arriest P Thomas 29, visitor
Adea Thomas 3

There is a marriage for a Harrietta Phennetta Osbourne to a Henry Thomas in 4th Qrt 1852 Plymouth.

Pretty sure we have the right family on the Tremills side. Still not sure about that 1901 entry with Mabel Hill at grandparents Marsh though...

Monica

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 October 08 23:52 BST (UK) »
I am back from holiday and the birth cert for Philip in 1924 confirms his parents as Robert and Mabel (not margaret)

I have been on Scotlands people and obtained the death certs suggested and the birth cert of Robert 1884 which confirms parents are Philip McQuillan and Margaret Linn who married 22nd aug 1865 in Bishop Auckland.

On checking the marriage record for 1865 in Durham (Auckland) Philip is easily found and I think Margaret is mispelt as Mullin.

1871 census has Philip and Margaret mispelt as McCollin living in Yorkshire with children John age 3 born ?Maden Yorks and James age 1 born Durham. Philip and Margaret both listed as from Ireland which might be the end of the road for this search.

Philips parents are Michael McQuillan Farmer  and Rose Ann Cavanagh both dead by 1905. Margarets parents are Robert ?Linn and Mary Ann Chapman both dead by 1907.

1861 cannot yet find Margaret Linn/Mullin age approx 11 at home with parents Robert and Mary or Philip age approx 15 with parents (or parents alone).

I think I will sleep now and write it all out in the morning and send off for the marriage in Durham 1865 to see if the fathers  are already dead then to narrow things down

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 October 08 00:18 BST (UK) »
That's great, sounds like you are firming things up  :)  I hunted high and low for that 1871 entry, after all this time I never cease to be amazed by how the trancriptions mis-transcribe!

I've also gone round the houses searching for an English (or Scottish) entry for Margaret Linn in 1861 with parents - wouldn't surprise me me if we have another wild mis-transcription or in fact if she did turn out to be Irish...although all her entries on censuses that we found clearly state England.

Monica

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 October 08 11:22 BST (UK) »
hmmmm
might have been a bit hasty with the 1871 entry because I have looked at it again and the ages for Philip and Margaret are out. It says Philip is 40 and he should be 25/28 and margaret should be 20 and it says 35. I was so excited last night at getting children with right named parents I didn't look at ages  :(

oh well back to drawing board