Author Topic: McQuillan in Edinburgh  (Read 9422 times)

Offline kingchemist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McQuillan in Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 December 08 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am researching the McQuillan's in Edinburgh - Philip (Philp) and Margaret Hind/Lind/Kind. Their daughter Margaret (Maggie) was born in Edinburgh about 1879 and was my wife's maternal grandmother.
There is a lot of information in the post correct for my tree (see Genes Reunited, ancestry.co.uk)
I have lots more information.
However, the wife of Philip is a major problem. On the marriage certificate for Margaret McQuillan (Philip's daughter)  to James Allison on 22/7/1898 there are amendments to the parent's names. The grooms mother is changed from Margaret Allison M/S (Maiden surname) Leighton to Martha Allison M/S Leighton. This is stated as a clerical error. Also on this certificate, Margaret's parents are listed as Josuah McQuillan and Margaret McQuillan M/S Lenn (perhaps Linn). I had been searching for Margaret Lenn.
However on viewing the certificate at New Registry House in Edinburgh, there are other amendments which I could not print. Martha Allison M/S Leighton is changed to Martha Reid, while the Josuah becomes Philip and Margaret's surname changes from Lenn to Hind. I have struggled to find their marriage anywhere and have seen the one you list to Margaret Mullen but have problems reconciling it. I have found a baptism for a Philip in Co. Down, Northern Ireland in 1843 but not confirmed. If this is correct, his father was John McQuillan. If you have confirmed that Robert's parents are Philip and Margaret Linn, then I have a problem with the daughter Margaret's parents. I will need to check the marriages of the other children of Philip and Margaret to see who the parents are. I too believe that Philip was born around 1843 not much earlier.
McQuillan is sometimes written as McQuillen and McQuillian

Robert :)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 December 08 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert
are you Robert Evans on genes? I have access to both ancestry and genes in order to view your tree but as this is for a friend it is not up on line at present . If you want to PM me we can exchange further info she (my friend ) would be very grateful for any details you have. .

I have viewed Robert McQuillans' b1884 birth certificate and it definitely states parents Philip McQuillan and Margaret Linn who married 22nd aug 1865 in Bishop Auckland.

I am waiting for the marriage certificate for Philip McQuillan and Margaret Linn to be sent from GRO office and will let you know when I have details.

Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline kingchemist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 December 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I cannot send a PM message - not enough posts. I am Robert on Genes, so contact me from there - request access to my tree and give me your email address. I'm sure you'll appreciate why I do not want to post my email address in the forum. I am interested in Philip and Margaret, their parents and children but seem to be hitting a brick wall

Hope to hear from you

Robert
Dalkeith

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

You just need to do one more post here on RC and you will be able to respond to private messages  :) The minimum is three.

Good luck to to you and Donna on your research - sounds like you may have made a connection.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kingchemist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Did you ever sort out the parents of Philip McQuillan and Margaret Linn? I agreed that the date 1824 was a bit early as I have Philip born in 1843 ish. Otherwise he would have been 40+ before having their first child and this would be unusual.
Have you confirmed the names of Philip's parents as Rose Cavanagh and Michael McQuillan on his death certificate and do you know who was the informants - was it one of the recognised children as this would confirm that this person was the correct Philip.

Robert

Offline Meadows52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McQuillan/McQuillen/McQuilliam
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 01:01 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the family of John MCQUILLAM/EN born circa 1848 whose father was Phillip MCQUILLAM. John is my 2x Grandfather- supposedly born in Whitehaven, Cumberland. He married  Elizabeth GREEN on 2 Jan 1869 in Washington, Co Durham. His daughter Elizabeth (my great grandmother)  was born 2 days later on 4 Jan 1869 at Speculation Place in Washington. Elizabeth married James CORR on 2 Jan 1897 in Newcastle St Mary's RC Church. Their son James was born
24 Apr 1894 and registered as MCQUILLAM in Pipewellgate, Gateshead. Elizabeth died 7 Feb 1902 and James remarried to Dorothy DEIGHTON 2 May 1903 in Gateshead.
Thanks

Doreen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 08:59 GMT (UK) »
For Robert that year, there is only one possible entry showing for a 17 yr old Robert McQuillen, footman at Camnethan Mauscon House (spl?), Cambusnethan Lanark.
Creative mistranscription (from Anc****y, I presume?). FindMyPast has it as Camnethan Mansion House so it is presumably legible as such. Camnethan crops up quite often as an abbreviation for Cambusnethan. https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS7853
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.