Author Topic: McQuillan in Edinburgh  (Read 9398 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McQuillan in Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hard to know, without some family stories to support it.

For 1871, there is an Annie Tremills, 17, b. Plymouth working as a servant in Plymouth. So, marriage between her and William Hill must have been between then and 1873/4 when first son William shows as born in Plymouth. I haven't checked for births, just going by ages on the censuses.

Not sure about 1871 for the McQuillans :-\ There is a Philip, 18, and a James McQuillan, 20, both miners born in Ireland and lodging in Durham. However in 1891, Philip and Margaret show as already having children in 1871 (John c. 1868 and James c. 1870)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:59 BST (UK) »
I think you should get your friend to invest £6 on Scotlands People  ::)

Even though we can't find the McQuillan marriage of Robert's parents (or those earlier census entries yet), at least Robert and Margaret died in Scotland. Scottish certs are much more informative than the English certs (as are the marriage and birth certs.... ;D). They will include details of their parents, spouse and maiden name for Margaret, who reported the death etc.

This looks to be Philips death entry:

1905   PHILIP MCQUILLAN   ( Mother;s maiden name CAVANAGH) age 57 in ST GILES EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN

And sadly, Margaret a couple of years later:

1907   MARGARET MCQUILLAN (other name LINN) age 54   in NEWINGTON   EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN

Also, if you were to look at son Robert's birth cert c. 1884, it will include the date and place of parents' marriage.

Monica

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 00:05 BST (UK) »
ok will do thanks so much for your help  ;D ;D ;D ;D

just a thought if Mabel is living with grandparents called Marsh in 1901 then wasn't her mothers maiden name Marsh
Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 00:31 BST (UK) »
I know that has me confused too! Having problems finding Annie mother in the earlier censuses (before 1871). It will help when you and your friend are working back stage by stage to order that marriage cert for Annie to second husband William. This will include her father's name to enable you to work back with confidence.

Monica

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 10:35 BST (UK) »
Monica
does the 1891 census for Philip McQuillan and family say where in England their older children were born ie: John, James, Mary Anne and Margaret to help me search for their births. have sent for Philip b1924 birth cert to verify we are on right track.

Also I must be doing something wrong as I have registered with Scotlands people and done a search but cannot find the deaths you mentioned or Robert born 1884 birth either  ??? do you have to buy credits first or only to view the actual entry?

Donna

ps I am putting this info here too to save me looking it up again when comparing all the details very idle of me I know  ;)

1881 census

Philip McQuillan 38  General labourer Ireland
Margaret McQuillan 30 England
John McQuillan 13 message boy England
James McQuillan 11 scholar England
Philip McQuillan 9 scholar England
MaryAnn McQuillan 6 scholar England
Maggie McQuillan 2 ?Edinshire Edinburgh

Address 77 West Port St Cuthberts Edinburgh

1881 census
William Hill 28 sailor ??Egloshayle Cornwall (when did he die between 1886 and 1889)
Annie Hill 28 b Plymouth Devon
William Hill 7 scholar Plymouth Devon
Henrietta Hill 5 Windsor Berkshire
Frederick Hill 3 Plymouth Devon
Florence A Hill 1 Plymouth Devon

Address is 27 Wolsden Street Plymouth Devon

Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna

Birth places simply say England in the 1891 entry I looked at, so not sure where they were born. I've just found them in Edinburgh in 1881:

Philip McQuillan 38, gen. lab. b. Ireland
Margaret McQuillan 30, b. England
John McQuillan 13 b. England
James McQuillan 11 b. England
Philip McQuillan 9  b. England
Mary Ann McQuillan 6 b. England
Maggie McQuillan 2, b. Edinburgh (previously said England)

Address: 77 West Port Edinburgh St Cuthbert

I would probably start by looking at son Robert's born c. 1884 birth cert to establish where/when they married and then try and find that marriage cert and other children's births in England. It would help to find them in 1871 to try and find out where Margaret was from and her family.

Regarding Scotlands People, once you have registered (for free) you can do searches for free but to view the individual results of the searches and then go on to view images, you have to buy 30 units /£6. It costs 20p/1 unit to view search results and then £1/5 units to . on line (which you can then save on your computer and print off).

I posted the results of the searches that I did. If you enter the exact spelling (SP is very particular on spellings - helps many a time to use wildcards if you are not sure) that I showed, you will find their death entries.

Monica  :)

Just seen you added 1881 for the McQuillans

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 11:09 BST (UK) »
The most obvious death for William Hill, assuming he died in Plymouth where they show in 1881 is this one:

William Hill, 33, Plymouth 1st Qrt 1887 Refs:  5b  232

Monica

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 11:12 BST (UK) »
thank you for being patient with me will try again with various spellings

Donna

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 11:15 BST (UK) »
The most obvious death for William Hill, assuming he died in Plymouth where they show in 1881 is this one:

William Hill, 33, Plymouth 1st Qrt 1887 Refs:  5b  232

Monica

I found that one but mabel and her sister were not born until 1882 and 1886 so if he died who did they belong to I was searching between 1885 and 1889 when she remarried will have to think on it at work !!
Donna