Author Topic: Picture from the Second hand shop .......  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Rayfo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Picture from the Second hand shop .......
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 03:38 BST (UK) »
I’d also say West Yorkshire – rather like this still-to-be-researched ancestor of mine, Lt. Col. Edward Cecil St. John Buchanan Neale. Shame we can’t ask them about each other!  ;D
Please scan all photographs at 300-600 dpi.
Please feel free to colour any restores posted by me. An acknowledgement would be much appreciated.

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 03:54 BST (UK) »
yup Rayfo ..looks like the WYs 'ave it! ;D ;D
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

What a cracking photo.

With a bit of luck perhaps now that you know the regiment, you can find his surname and with an enormous bit of luck, their might be a service record for him on Ancestry with next of kin which can be tracked or am I letting my imagination run away with me!  ;D ;D

Well done Birthday Girl  ;D and Rayfo.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Rayfo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 12:36 BST (UK) »
Actually, Liverpool Annie – backed up by Gazzatrone - had it hours before I visited the thread. And by then Polldoll had already separated the badge from the similar one of the Hussars, so I hardly contributed at all.

Well done to them. (Incidentally, my chap’s brother and nephew were both officers in The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) in which I believe Annie has an interest, so I have already benefited indirectly from her expertise in that field as well. :))

Tracking Thomas down from his first name and his regiment is a long shot - but a start has been made, and it would certainly be marvellous if this photograph could be returned to his family one day.  :o ;D
Please scan all photographs at 300-600 dpi.
Please feel free to colour any restores posted by me. An acknowledgement would be much appreciated.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 17:17 BST (UK) »
I haven't had a look at many army records but I did note that they had to sign...and you have Thomas' signature to verify with even if it is only his first name  :-\

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 01:33 BST (UK) »
That's a good point Mab.... it may just help.... :)
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 01:47 BST (UK) »
He has a very distinctive "T"  :) But, I'll let the experts carry on because I would have no clue where to look :D

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 02:09 BST (UK) »
What a handsome young man ...... be great to reunite his picture with family...

KHP :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 02:12 BST (UK) »

Theres 3409 Thomas' in the medal cards for the West Yorkshire Regiment ..... and not all service papers are available to check handwriting ...... so it's really going to be a hit and miss thing that we find him ..... I'd love to find his family .... but we might have to wait for the family to find us !!  ::) ::) ::)

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I