Author Topic: Tracing lost family  (Read 6885 times)

Offline Concorde

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing lost family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ambly:

The information that I received regarding Ann was received from a cousin of mine and I have no physical documentation to prove otherwise.

The grave marker shows "William Cottingham - 1826-1903" and for Ann "Annie Cottingham - 1824-1900" however I certainly would accept your information as being correct. I did not know Dr. Sharp but living in that area for years during my youth I certainly heard of him many times.

The information regarding the family that came to Canada was also received from the same cousin. I do have record of a Rachel Cottingham, Oxford County, Ontario Canada who was married in 1879 and a Rachel Cottingham who was born Oct 16, 1888 in Romney Twp., Kent County, Ontario. Could the Rachel, married in 1879 be the same Rachel you refer to?

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Concorde and Rover 72  ;D

Concorde, once you have been able to digest the information on this topic, and the other one I linked, I think you will see that William & Ann's daughter Rachel is undoubtedly the the one who married a TRAVIS in 1879. Rachel then appears on the 1881 Census with her parents (as TRAVERSE) with her daughter Adelaide.  Rachel  died 1887 of inflamation of the Brain when she was 27.  She had given birth the previous year to son Willie on 3 Oct 1886.  When her brother Thomas (and his wife Jennie SCOTT) had a daughter born 1888, they named her Rachel - no doubt in memory of his (Tom's) late sister.

Grave markers can be notoriously incorrect with regard to dates - it may depend on who erected the markers and how long after the deaths they were put up. For example, all the information we have to date indicates Ann PERKINS was younger than William COTTINGHAM and that she was born around 1827/1828 - not 1824.

The  only death I can see for William is in 1902, Kent - not 1903 (and he has been indexed as COLLINGHAM by A**y)

I'll PM you both.  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Concorde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly:

That now explains why Willie Travis is shown as adopted on one of the census reports.

Offline Concorde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly:

Henry's daughter Lillie (must be Rose/Rose Lily, by his first wife Sarah Anne LILLY) ), married 7 Nov 1900:
http://virts.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/kent00p2.htm
Arthur BOWLES, 26, engineer, Romney, Tilbury.....married Lillie COTTINGHAM, 20, Oxford Co., Tilbury
Dau of Henry COTTINGHAM & Sarah Ann TILLY, witness': George BOWLES & Minnie COTTINGHAM, both of Tilbury,......

The above information is partially incorrect.
Lillie Cottingham married Arthur Bowles as you have stated.

However, Rose Lily is another daughter of Henry and Sarah.  Rose Lily Cottingham was born in 1871 in Scampton, England and died Jan 23, 1963 in Camden, New York, USA. She married Robert E. Smith, March 13, 1895 in Tilbury, Ontario, Canada.  Both are buried in North Bay Cemetery, Town of Vienna, New York USA

Don