Author Topic: A good year for Irish searching.  (Read 21900 times)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
Re: A good year for Irish searching.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 January 09 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jax,

Coincidentally, I've also approached a contact at Family Search in Utah, and got a response about an hour ago...!

"What I am being told is that the Irish projects in question required additional programming due to additional fields extracted and localities needed in order to yield effective patron search experiences in the Record Search pilot. I am being told they should be added “soon” to the Record Search pilot site."

In the e-mail there is also speculation about a likely period this year in which the indexes might be uploaded, but as it is just a guess I won't list it here. Suffice to say that it looks like it will be after WDYTYA, but hopefully not too long after that.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 January 09 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Oops!..slightly different replies. I think wait and see would be a better reply.

I am sure they are doing their best and just want it to be right. ;)

Jax
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 January 09 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Now online!    ;D
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 January 09 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum

Well spotted!

I dont know where to start! ;D

Jax
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 14:10 GMT (UK) »
I have been watching for the Irish records on Family Search and have just been looking at the pilot site.

I'm guessing from the lack of records relevant to my searches, the whole index is not yet up and running.  Am I correct?

Cheers
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 15:50 GMT (UK) »
hi ellen

I think most of it's up
from 1845(protestant marriages) -
1864 - 1958 for every thing

there are a few threads about this - worth reading through, as searching is quite fiddley

edited .. people do seem to have found gaps .. look at --

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355762.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,356222.0.html

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 February 09 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I only came across this thread yesterday. I followed the link to the familySearch pilot site and managed to find my grandparents marriage entry and BMDs for other family members. HOORAY!!!! Thank you to whoever put the link there - I think it was Glen.

Thank goodness for easier access to Irish records at last. I have one English and one Irish parent. My Irish family tree is very sparse compared to my father's ancestors but these entries will give me something to work on.

There do seem to be some problems with the searches. I found my mother's birth while searching for something else. Later, when I put the correct info for my mother's birth I had a strange assortment of records, but not mum's birth! We obviously need lots of patience to find what we are looking for.

I'm just glad that there's something new out there at last for Irish records and can't wait for the 1911 census records for County Monaghan to find more of my Irish relatives at last.

Any tips for successful searching on this new FamilySearch pilot would be greatly appreciated.

Angela

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 February 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
New topic for search tips started here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=357532.new#new
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 February 09 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Update from PRONI - a database on pre-1858 wills is due to go online about March, and pre-1900 directories around about July. No formal date set as yet, but that is what they are aiming towards.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com