Author Topic: A good year for Irish searching.  (Read 21897 times)

Offline IRISH DIVA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A good year for Irish searching.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 22 March 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I have just come off the Family Search web site and had a look out of curiosity at their completed worldwide indexing project and see that

Irish births have been completed from 1864 - 1958
Irish marriages from 1868 - 1958
Irish deaths from 1864 - 1958

Can i ask about the FAMILY Search data, when you say the above is complete, do you mean the records that they have are updated or that they have scribed the whole record set?  i have never found a single record - not even to clarify data i know to be correct.  Have i misunderstood what the site is about?

Marc

Marc,
I have found the same results as you "nothing" I go on this site all the time to check and have never been able to fine any results even for record that I already have, I have give the it lots if info = nothing,
I  have given only a little info (as some one advised) and still = Nothing

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 22 March 09 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I have just come off the Family Search web site and had a look out of curiosity at their completed worldwide indexing project and see that
Irish births have been completed from 1864 - 1958
Irish marriages from 1868 - 1958
Irish deaths from 1864 - 1958
Northern Ireland records (Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry, Tyrone) only go up to 1921.

Index to Irish civil registrations can be difficult to search. Irish Diva- have you tried looking at thread of search tips here? If you are still stuck you can post some 'missing' people here with the details that you already know (date, place) and we'll see if we can find a way to search for them that might help you in other searches.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 March 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Irish Diva

It's worth trying different types of searches to find a particular event using the family search pilot site. I have found that sometimes a record I have previously seen there doesn't come up another time even when I have narrowed the search with exact details.

Even though I have the exact details of my mother's birth and my great grandmother's death I don't get any results unless I select 'Exact, close and partial'

Angela

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 22 March 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
There are several issues that I have noted with the new LDS Irish records site.  I had just come back from a short trip to Dublin when the Irish GRO data went on line so knew the format of the index books and what I was looking for.

First, do not select any "event" before going into the site.  These seem to have been provided for church register data and not linked to this data base and so no results appear when they are selected (I seem to remember that the first few days they were linked but very inconsistent).  The same applies to dates as it seems to be very inconsistent in how it treats them.

You can refine by event, approximate date, etc. once you are in the database.  

Otherwise, do use both a first name and a family name (and even the general district, if you are sure of it).  Make sure you select the district from the drop-down list as even if you enter it exactly the same it won't recognise it and will say no results.

The database is a bit flexible in handling variations and will find a given name even if it does not occur first in the entry (e.g. Jane will also find Mary Jane).  It's also very slow as it's Flash-based and not cross-linked for marriages, and not possible to select by mother's maiden name even for those entries that have this (later than in the rest of the British Isles, but that's due to the indexes being prepared that way).  The date selections are also only in 10-year blocks, not a problem with less common names but a real nuisance with more frequent ones.

There seems to be a problem that if there are too many matching entries, there will be NO error message but it will only give you the first few thousand results, so that further refinements will be within only a partial set of results. Obviously, if the name you want is unusual, you can omit the district and select that just when you refine your search.

There also seem to be some issues in that entries already on IGI don't seem to be there - maybe because they got lower priority as more data (from the full register entries) was already out there, so remember to check both.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline IRISH DIVA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 22 March 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your fast reply and comments and I will try them all out, I was getting a bit crazy as I have good compute skills and just could not get to the bottom of this. I am still a bit "Green" (no pun intended) in trying to research my Belfast family history and I did know when I started this that it would take time, money,& lots of detective work, but drawing complete blanks on data that I have was putting me of.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 22 March 09 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Just realised that I may have not been explicit enough about searching on districts. 

You have to begin typing the district into the box and then the drop down list will eventually appear, you sometimes need to wait for it or just reclick in the box.  The more information that you have put in, the shorter the list will be (and perhaps appear more quickly).  However if you mistype, then you may get no results as the list is predictive from the characters already typed.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 22 March 09 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Have found that it's easier to get results by typing in name (first and last) then clicking bue links from top of page (event, date, place) rather than trying to use registration district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 22 March 09 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Have found that it's easier to get results by typing in name (first and last) then clicking bue links from top of page (event, date, place) rather than trying to use registration district.

Hi aghadowey,

I would certainly agree with you for cases where you are sure that it is picking up the complete data set (i.e. slightly more unusual names).

If the number of results is around 4 to 5 thousand then, when you check events you might find marriages are missing, or years, and several whole blocks may be missing (extreme case, only results after 1900 were returned and no marriages).  This is the evidence that leads me to suppose there is some top limit, after which it "loses" the rest of the matches but does not give a warning message.

Any refinements done on these results just cuts the set down further (no extra matches appear as the unwanted ones are excluded) and so may account for some of  the cases that are missing in some searches but appear in others when both approaches should have found them.

Offline IRISH DIVA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 22 March 09 23:05 GMT (UK) »
OK, I am sure you will think I am not very bright, But something is missing here.
What good is it just seeing a name and approx date from BMD on the LDS site. How can you get the rest or more of the info.
The way everyone is talking about the LDS site I was think you could see records or transcribed record like I have received and Paid for from other sites. How do you know its the record you want, how can you see more info. It just gives the name and time frame. how do you get more info from LDS so as you can be sure this is the record you want, is this not on-line?