Author Topic: Matthew Postlethwaite b abt 1821 Dalton i n Furness  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Postlethwaite b abt 1821 Dalton i n Furness
« on: Tuesday 16 September 08 15:03 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help me I am looking for my 2 x Grandfather Matthew Postlethwaite who according to census records was born in Dalton in Furness Lancashire about 1821 he moved to Keswick, Cumberland about 1855 his occupation was Sawyer, he married Esther Holmes b 1831 Keswick Cumberland daughter of George Holmes b Stavely abt 1800 and Mary?  their eldest Child William was b Keswick Cumberland 1857.  I believe Matthew died in keswick in 1897.   

Any help or advice on how to find Matthews birth or marriage would be gratefully accepted and acknowledged.

Thanks
Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Postlethwaite b abt 1821 Dalton i n Furness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Postlethwaite

www.lan-opc.org.uk has 5 hits on the surname POSTLETHWAITE . One being a baptism 16 July 1820
at Hawkshead .
Matthew son of John and Mary .
I do not know that area but I believe that Dalton and Hawkshead are in the same district of Ulverstone .
Please forgive me if not connected to your enquiry .
Good luck
Eric

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry Eric but that is not the one I am looking for thanks anyway.
Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:24 BST (UK) »
still looking for Matthew Postlethwaite  :'(

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

To find a record of Matthews baptism will mean a trip to the Cumbria Records Office, Barrow in Furness.

I cant see a marriage for Matthew and Esther on Free BMD  ??? ???

Simon 
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,

I have ben to Barrow in Furness RO and the staff were very helpful although cannot find Matthew' s baptism, they said it could be that he was never baptised, however I am going up to Carlisle RO as a lot of my ancestors were from there and am hoping to find the marriage of Matthew and Esther (Holmes) she was born in Keswick.