Author Topic: Malvern Convalescent home  (Read 52751 times)

Offline jedale

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malvern Convalescent home
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 July 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I have just come across this site about St Cuthbert’s. I have enjoyed reading all the comments and it brings a tear to my eye.

I was there at the age of 6 in in 1959  I have vivid memories  but also think that as a child they are recalled differently. I was taken there from the children’s hospital after 6 months when I had TB, no one in those days thought to tell children what was happening to them, thank goodness times have changed.  I was worried (very) that my parents would not know where I was being taken to. It did seem like to the end of the earth.
I remember them visiting possibly only on Wednesday’s and Sunday's. I lived in Quinton at that time and my mom used to come on the bus from Digbeth, what a jaunt that would have been.  We had a greengrocer's shop and so I only saw my dad on a Sunday.  I remember one of the boys was called John and he came from Dale end and Dad and took him out for the day when we finally got home.
I remember going to the toilet one night and jumped back in bed and fell out the other side, and bumping the side of my face.  So worried that I would never get home I tried to hide the growing lump but a nurse discovered it when washing my hair. The result of that was another operation back at the hospital. 
I remember the house and the gardens, swings and slides, and looking over the common at the front. I must have spent a lot of time in bed or a wheelchair because  I remember one day I could not stand up my legs were so weak,  and I was trying to stand by the  front door and look for my mom or nan who were due to visit me.
When I was told I was going home I could not wait to tell mom and dad but one of the other girls told them before I had the chance  I actually through a complete wobbly after all that time she stole my thunder. I forgive you now whoever you are. 
I would love to hear from anyone who was there at that time, my name was Jayne Marshall I spent 6 months there so was away from home 1 year in total. I then had a reoccurrence of the TB, back into the children's but not go back to Malvern after the second bout.
Touch wood I have been fairly healthy since those days. 

Jayne x

Offline 0121mariec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Just been reading the memories of St Cuthberts,  I too was transfered from B'ham Childrens Hosp to Malvern after a bout of Pneumonia.  I was upstairs in a room with 4 other girls and across the corridor was the Babies room.  I can remember some beautiful doll's prams which were parked by the wheel chairs but we weren't allowed to touch!  I remember having to walk around the gardens when my parents visited on Sunday and how cold it was.  I also remember the school rooms across the garden.  On room was for younger children and the other for older children and strangely enough I can remember learning about Christopher Columbus.  !!!!   I don't have very happy memories of the place as I think it was the first time I can across  older children bullying younger ones - I remember one girl used to wet the bed and her life was hell.  But ofcause I must have only been about seven so the weeks I spent there seemed for ever.  Wish time would slow down now!

Offline jedale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 01 August 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi 0121mariec

Lovely to read your comments, sorry your  memories were not not good, mine are more emotional as I felt so isolated,  never knowing what was going to happen to you.  With regards to the schooling I vaguely remember a school room but always thought it was at the Childdren's hopsital.
I also remember strolling around the grounds with my parents, I was there during the summer months so not cold as you recall, as I had my 6th Birthday there in August.
I agree that the time seemed endless at that time, strange how it speeds up as we get older lol.
Jayne 

Offline Sixties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 22 August 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
I too remember spending a lot of my childhood at st cuthberts
I remember nurse bins and I think there was a nurse little as well
The salvation army used to come and do Sunday school.  There
was a big stairway, and I remember the large slide in the garden.
There was a lovely smell of pine trees.  It was in the mid sixties
That I spent a lot of time there for recurrent chest problems.
I was there several times and remember my last visit well as it was
due to close down.  I also remember vividly the plates and cups
were stainless steel YUK!!!! If anyone knows where I can get
some old photos memoirs on this place I would be extremely
Grateful

Offline Sixties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 22 August 11 16:04 BST (UK) »
hi
I must of been there about the same time as you. Do you remember a big cupboard thatused to be under the stairs.  I was sent there from birmingham childrens hospital quite a few times in the 1960s referred there by Doctor Cant who was then my consultant. Would love toget hold of any  old pictures that might be available

Offline wmmsk00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 02 October 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
It would have been around 1963-64 I was there for 1 year and still have some vivid memories, I remember the large cupboard under the stairs and being locked in there for bad behaviour, I to was referred by Dr.Cant, how nice would it be to have a St. Cuthbert's reunion.

Offline jedale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 02 October 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
I would be happy to be involved in a reunion,I am still in the Midlands so not a problem for me, I dare say many have moved further afield.  The name Binns does ring bells with me also.   

Offline Sixties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 03 October 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
It would be good to have a reunion and get hold of any pictures that might be available anyone have ideas on how or where to arrange one?

Offline jedale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
I do  not have any pictures,  but I am up for a reunion. It is difficult to know how many people would be interested  but worth a go. I live in the Solihull but would be willling to travel to a  venue to suit all concerned.