Author Topic: Alexander Lethangie and Margaret Meane late 1500s Pharay  (Read 5454 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Alexander Lethangie and Margaret Meane late 1500s Pharay
« on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:10 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across Alexander and Margaret, they don't seem to be on any webpage, I've seen them as the parents of Janet Lethangie born 8/1/1615 Leslie Fife on ancestry family trees but I cannot find any info to back this up and as I am not a full member I cannot contact any other Ancestry members.  Janet should have died 1690 in Pharay Orkney wife of George  Balfour born 11/7/1620 kirkcaldy married 9/6/1643 Fife  who died 1706 Pharay Orkney.

Any info would be appreciated

Julie

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Lethangie and Margaret Meane late 1500s Pharay
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 21:42 BST (UK) »
There are no burial registers for Eday and Pharay in Orkney.  To find evidence of their deaths, you may need to look in the Kirk Session records.  These are not online that I know of.  Or search for a monumental inscription if one exists.

The Leslie parish registers were not begun until 1673 for baptisms.  It would seem that the other researcher has been looking at other records to piece together the tree.

It seems a long way from Leslie in the middle of Fife to Orkney.  What did Alexander Lethangie do for a living?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell

I have to agree with you that the Orkneys and Fife aren't that close, I found a few family trees on ancestry with the same parents Alexander Lethangie and Margaret Meane being the parents of Janet, they are noted as being born in Pharay and although Janet was born in Leslie Fife, apparently both her and her husbandGeorge died back in Pharay. I know George's son also George stayed in Fife and his children were born there, so something just didn't feel right about this Orkney/Fife connection,   I do know their son George was born 21/1/1659 C113992 to George and Janet, but having searched the internet all I could find were a few brief mentions of Lethangie as being and area, so I don't know where these ancestrians got their info from either if I do find any info I'll add a PS just to confirm incase anyone else is researching this family.

Julie

Offline denmylne

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
some info for you
I will upload the family tree of the Orkney Balfours in a week or so

Gilbert Balfour was the brother of Sir Micheal Balfour, 3rd of Mountwhanny in fife
(this guy was tied up in the murder of darnley)
His sone Archibald died without issue and the orkney estate passed back to the 2nd son of Michael Balfour. also called Micheal Balfour, This Micheal was the Grand father of George Balfour 1625-1706

George Balfour of Pharay lived about 1706
received from him the lands of Garth, Pharay                           
= (1)Marjory, daughter of James Baikie of Tankerness                       
=  (2)Mary McKenzie, Nic Murdoch, Bishop of orkney, gave  a part of his landsof Trenabie.

I will up load this family tree in about a week or so to here
http://www.denmylne.co.uk/history/history.html

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 April 10 07:08 BST (UK) »
http://www.raymillar.co.uk/

an interesting site for eday researchers!
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 November 10 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys

Still no further with my Balfours will keep checking and put up a post if anything new comes along.

Regards

Julie

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:06 GMT (UK) »
MB.MS.PBBM.IBIA. 1657 GB (heart) MB 1676 HEIR.RESTS.THE.BODIES.OF MICHAEL.BALFOUR.AND MARGT.SINCLAR.PATRICK BALFOUR.& BARBRA.MUDE JOHNBAL.& JENNET.ALEXANDER HER.ALSO.RESTS.THE.BODY.S.OF PATRICK.BARBRA.JENNET KATRINE.MARIE & KATHRINE BALFOURS.LAUFVL.CHILDREN TOGEORGE.BALFOURE.OF. PHARAY & MARJORY.BAKIE. HIS.SPOUSE DEATHS.ROPHEESOVEROUR.BODYSTLAND OURSOULS ABOVE.AT.CHRISTSRIGHT.HAND AND.HALELVJA.STIL.DOTH.SING. /\TV.THE.LAMB.THAT.HEAVENLY.KING

the above inscription is from the cemetery at pierowall, westray, possibly no connection to your branch but might be interesting!

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Akc

Looks promising.  Here's the full info on my Balfours, as you can see there are a lot of to be confirmeds in the earlier generations

GEORGE BELFOURE c1623 Kirkcaldy TBC. JANET LATHANGIE c1623 KIRKCALDY Fife George married Janet 1 June 1686 KIRKCALDY Fife they had 3 children Born Abbotshill/Dysart James 1652 Christian Bapt 6 Aug 1654 George Ballfour c1658

GEORGE BALLFOUR c1658 Dysart to George Belfoure & Janet Lathangie Bapt 21 Jan 1658 George married twice. Married to Isobel Milne and Katherine Dryburgh TBC Birth IGI C113992. KATHERINE DRYBURGH c1666 Dysart. TBC likely parents John Dryburgh and Elizab Mackie. George married Katherine 30 May 1686 Abbotshall.  They had 2 children Peter Balfour born 1689 Dysart, JANET BALFOUR. 1691 Dysart Bapt 19 Nov 1691

PETER BALFOUR 1689 Dysart, Fife, Scotland to George Ballfour and Katherine Dryburgh bapt 29 Oct 1689. TBC Patrick Balfour married Jells Smart on 6 Sept 1717 Dysart M114267, there appears to be a problem with their names on the IGI Peter/Patrick had a Brother David born 1694 no reference to Mother on IGI. GILLS SMART c1690 Dysart. Peter married Gills on 6 Sept 1717 Dysart.  They had 4 children Born Dysart Katherine bapt 22 June 1718 John bapt 24 Jan 1720 Margaret 1722 James bapt 1 July 1726. Batch 455505

WILLIAM FORGAN c1717 Dysart.  He was a Weaver.  William died 1 Mar 1775, aged abt 57, Dysart. (William married twice. Married to Margaret Abbot and Margaret Balfour) TBC buried 28 Mar 1775.MARGARET BALFOUR 1722 Dysart, to Peter Balfour & Gills Smart, bapt 6 May 1722.  Margaret died 1 Feb 1760, aged abt 37, Dysart. TBC Batch 455505 Buried 28 Feb 1760. William married Margaret 29 Jan 1742 Dysart.  They had 8 children Born Dysart/Markinch Gilles bapt 9 Jan 1743/4 Jeals Forgan buried 22 Sept 1744. Katharine c1745, Agnes bapt 17 May 1747 died 1 Sept 1749, buried 8 Sept 1749. Margaret bapt 24 Aug 1749. died 1833, husband Alexander Toddle. Andrew c1752 died Nov 1852 aged 100, Dysart. buried 18 Nov 1752. Giles bapt 11 Nov 1753. Ann c1756 died Oct 1756 buried 28 Oct 1756. William 1757

Katharine Forgan married William Bonailo

Regards
Julie