Author Topic: Police Uniform? Completed - thanks to all!  (Read 8208 times)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Police Uniform? Completed - thanks to all!
« on: Wednesday 17 September 08 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone  ;D

I've been fascinated by this section of the forum, you all do such fantastic work and so many of the photo restorations are amazing.

It's likely that I'll be hanging out here for a wee while, if you don't mind, after being presented with 2 old photo albums that my father's had tucked away since my grandmother died.  It's just like Christmas for me right now, only better!  Unfortunately very few of the photos have names recorded (I know you've all been there!) so I'm trying to suss out who's who.

I have a potential on census showing up as a policeman, then found this pic in the appropriate album - can anyone confirm that I'm right, or is this an army uniform?  Thanks in advance! :D

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Police Uniform?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 01:01 BST (UK) »
a clean from me

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass

Here's a couple from me.  Again, this pic really needs to be rescanned at 300 ppi to retain quality and provide you with a lasting restore and quality print.

Cheers
Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 01:20 BST (UK) »
I'm not an expert in uniforms, but this doesn't look like a policeman's uniform to me - more like a train, tram or bus conductor.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
So lovely to see him all cleaned up, thank you all!  ;D

I have read various posts about scanning on a better resolution, but my old Lexmark doesn't seem to give me an option, I'll try to play with them later tonight again and see if I can figure it out, apologies for any difficulty the present resolution poses.

I've been trying to suss out what his says on his cap, which, I realise now, would suggest that he's not police, but perhaps railway - thanks Prue for that suggestion.  It looks to me like it says Kingsway or perhaps Kingsman?  Re-scanning at a better resolution might allow you to help me on this further, I wish I was home doing it now, too impatient!

Lass x

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think this is a railway uniform. Could the location on the bottom of the photo stand for Kirkcaldy, Northern Railway?

mim
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi mim

I believe it says Kirkcaldy, NB, which I assumed was North Britain..... maybe I'm wrong though!

Lass x

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 10:35 BST (UK) »
He could still have been a policeman ..... all of the Railway companies had their own private police forces which later merged and along with the Dock police became British Transport Police.

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
here's a link to a police tunic ... think they always had lots of buttons and a belt

http://www.qcmilitaria.com/polmeds.htm

Haven't looked at yours in close-up yet but are those leather cuffs ?

OK looked now ;D
I'd say the cuffs are leather and it's definitely NR (not NB) on the mount

Rachel
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON