Author Topic: Marriage look up please Crosthwaite, Keswick, Cumberland  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage look up please Crosthwaite, Keswick, Cumberland
« on: Wednesday 17 September 08 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi am trying to find the marriage of Esther Holmes b 1831 christened 16 October 1831 at Crosthwaite, Keswick, Cumberland daughter of George Holmes and Mary (nee Tyson).  I beleive she married Matthew Postlethwaite although I cannot find any trace of Matthews birth apart from census returns where it states either b 1821 Dalton or Dalton in Furness Lancashire. 

I suppose it may have been that they never married as I can find her sister Grace's marriage to Thomas Greenwood 1859 but not Esther and Matthews.

Any help or advice regarding this matter would be very helpful.

Thank you
Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up please Crosthwaite, Keswick, Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Postlethwaite

I thought I was on to something here:
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Hawkshead/index.html
16 Jul 1820 St Michael and All Angels, Hawkshead, Lancashire
Baptised: Matthew Postlethwaite
Son of John Postlethwaite (husbandman) & Mary of Fold Yeat

From that site's home page:
"Hawkshead was formerly a chapelry to the vicarage of Dalton, was constituted a parish in the reign of Elizabeth, by Archbishop Sandys"

In the 1861, 1871 and 1891 Census yr Matthew says "Dalton" as his place of birth. Only in  1881 does it say "Dalton-in-Furness".

I thought this would be him in  1851, despite his occupation not being that of Sawyer (which your Matthew was in 1861-1891 where he was married to Esther):

1851: Back Side  - Village of Spoon Hall in parish of Church Coniston, Lancashire
HO107 /  Piece: 2275 /  Folio: 388 /  Pg 9
Head: Joseph DIXON 29, marr, Copper miner & Grocer, b Coniston, Lancashire
Wife: Mary DIXON 28, b Thwaits, Cumberland
Son: John DIXON 1, b Coniston, Lancashire
Lodger: Matthew POSTLETHWAITE 30, unm, Corn Miller, b Hawkhead Lancashire

BUT... I just see now - there was another Matthew POSTLETHWAITE born 1820/21 Hawkhead , , living in Bootle Cumberland & married to a Mary all thru those same 1861-1891 Census AND he/they are on the 1901 as well  :'(  :'(

Yr Matthew and Esthers children as on the 1861: William 4, George 3 and Mary Ann 2 - are all registered as POSTLETHWAITE in Cockermouth RD - with William's being in later half of 1856? 

So  his marriage to Esther:
1851-1856 (if before the birth of William). Was Esther found in 1851 unmarried?
1856-1897  ;D  (if they married after the birth of first child and at anytime during their years together before Matthew died first, in 1897)

Cheers
AMBLY

Edited: What Geoff said!!  :'(

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 13:38 BST (UK) »
There were two of them - in 1861 ...

aged 42 Hawkshead (wife Mary, mother Mary)
aged 41 Dalton (wife Esther)
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Thanks for that, (and sorry Postlethwaite) Yeah  :'(  :'( I'm just having a cry into me cuppa and doing an edit above. I just saw that other one after all that. Fun while it lasted. The Matthew who was married to Mary,  was still going in the 1901. Which put paid to any suspicions on my part about "double lives" !

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ambly, Thanks Geoff,

Esther Holmes or Holms appears on the 1851 census in Gateys Yard, Keswick, Cumberland, unmarried living with her mother and father. I have been to Kendal records office today and no trace of Esther down there however I did find her Fathers' christening and her Grandfathers' name was Henry. 

Matthew Postlethwaite remains a mystery.

I am beginning to wonder if Matthew was born in Dalton, Lancashire and not Dalton in Furness, Lancashire as no trace of him at Barrow records office.  However this still does not explain why i cannot find Esther and Matthew's marriage.  Marriage is usually in parish which bride belongs to which is Crosthwaite. Perhaps I ned to take another trip up to Carlisle record office.

Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.