Author Topic: James Kelita Hardy  (Read 2078 times)

Offline haulfryn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Kelita Hardy
« on: Wednesday 17 September 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
BornJune 1824 in Leeds Yorkshire  Married a Mary Strading abt 1850.and had 1 child Mary. In1857 he married my Gt Grandmother
Flora Ann Bartlett who was born in Newport Isle of Wight in 1840.  They were married in Gt Sampford Essex.     He worked as a commission agent and they lived in Lambeth. My relatives always said he was related to Gathorne Hardy and had some connection withThe Earl of Cranbrook.He died in !870 and in the 1871 census his brother George Hardy was resident with my gt Grandmother and her 6 children   If anyone can give us some information we would be delighted  .Yours Haulfryn

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Kelita Hardy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 22:39 BST (UK) »
I see that in 1871 George is listed as aged 58, also in Leeds, so the family must have been in Leeds around 1813-1824ish?

On the IGI there is a marriage for James Kelita Hardy, father James, to Mary Stradling, father John. This took place in East Moseley, Surrey, 30 Jun 1848.

His baptism is listed as James Kalita Hardy, christened 15 Aug 1824 at St. Peter, Leeds, parents James and Elizabeth.  There are a William and Joseph christened there on Christmas, 1822, as well, but whether they were twins or it was just an opportune time to get them done?  There are a couple possible marriages in Leeds, too.

You might need to get a copy of one of his marriages, or a copy of the original of his baptism, to see his father's occupation. That will make it easier to find his family on the census.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 September 08 13:19 BST (UK) »
HI

Well here's what the WIKI has to say about The Earl of Cranbrook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Cranbrook

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Willy Gee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 10 07:01 GMT (UK) »
If the James Kelita Hardy you are posting about and Flora Ann, of the Island, had a daughter born about  1859 by the name of Rosina Taylor Hardy, you and I are related. Rosina was my Grandmother.
As I know the story, James Kelita went broke, and The Jurist would confirm that. Some where along the line Rosina wound up on the Island. And married.
And yes both Gathorne and Sir James apparently are part of the same Hardy clan, I think. Or so the tale was told
  Wish I knew how to contact you. Other than this way. I only began unravelling the tale today, after many years. Aren't computers fun? Had a picture of Granny Hardy in a small card, Flora I mean, that I gave a first cousin of mine. He still has it but with this I wish I had kept it! She sent it here about 1922.