Author Topic: Torbet, Torbit Ancestors  (Read 6129 times)

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Torbet, Torbit Ancestors
« on: Thursday 18 September 08 11:37 BST (UK) »
I am hitting a bit of a blank wall with my search for Scottish ancestors.  The last I have is Adam Torbet from Perth in the 1841 census. The family came to settle in Ireland (kildare) in circa 1852 (after the census) and I am directly descended from them.

born circa 1799 in St Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh.  Adam moved from St Cuthbert’s to Corsterphine, Midlothian, Edinburgh after his marriage to Janet Allen (born circa 1800) on 16 Jun 1820 (per Scots Origins network and Parish Records).
St Cuthberts
Register of Proclamations
16 June 1820

Adam Torbet, labourer, Livingstone yards and Janet Allan, daughter of Andrew Allan, residing St Leonards Hill 43
That they are unmarried persons and not within the forbidden  degrees  of consanguinity and have resided in this Parish for the space of six weeks previous to the above date is

certified by

Robert Thomson, Elder

Their known children were
Janet (born 4th Mar 1821) , Robert (b. 1822 or 1826), William (1831),  Adam (born 1832), John (1834), Marion (1836), all the children were born in Currie, Midlothian, Robert ( he married Margaret Kent circa 15 Aug 1849 in Glenbawn) all confirmed from Parish Records. In 1841 the family were listed as Terbit and living at 51 Red Hugh's Cottages, Currie, Midlothian (Parish No - 682 ED 3 page 10), his occupation was Agricultural Labourer.

If this ties in with anyone's tree I'd love to hear from you.

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Torbet, Torbit Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi RoryT,
I have just noticed that your request for info on the above family has been read
35 times but so far no help!
I was thinking, if  maybe you move your Thread to the Perthshire and also Midlothian pages you may find a kind rootschater in those areas on the ground who can be of help, good luck,
kind regards, Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 September 08 06:12 BST (UK) »
Queries about this family are on:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,328390
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,329052
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,329053
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,330295

Anyone who is helping might wish to check out the other threads in case further information has been forthcoming on them.

On the thread on the Fife board, there is information which indicates that Janet was born 1790 in Berwickshire ...

JAP

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 September 08 18:01 BST (UK) »
Gadget also did a lot of work on this www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,280152.0.html back in January. I can't see any more now than she did then.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 September 08 18:09 BST (UK) »
Rory

I haven't seen this posted in the other threads, so I am including it in case you don't have it. This looks like son Robert in 1851 (family were at Little Pipe Street, Portobello):

Robert Torbet 26, cowfeeder, b. Corstorphine
Mary Prior 16, servant, b. Cork Ireland

Address: Bridge St Lane, Portobello

Monica

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 September 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
Monica,
Thanks for this info.  I thought he had moved to Ireland by then.  What type of dwelling were they in, I mean, was Mary Prior HIS servant????

Rory
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 September 08 17:10 BST (UK) »
Rory

You would have to view the original to confirm. From the index I am looking at, Mary Prior's relationship to Robert is transcribed as servant, occupation general servant. Looking at all the other entries on the page, hard to say what type of accomodation Robert was in. A mixture of people/occupations, all showing address as Bridge St Lane, Portobello.

Monica

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 September 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica  :)

My broadband line is very fragile up here in the Highlands so I might be very on  and off but , as you can see from the earlier thread in January that you have quoted, I didn't find the family after the 1851.

Rory has now asked me to look into the Al(l)an line (m Adam Torbet, 1820) which is referenced on that January thread but, given my connection probs, I'd be grateful if you can help on that.

Thanks

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 September 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
All these different threads are leading to a bit of confusion. I see that the Allens are dealt with on:http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,330295  which JAP links to above.

The relevant pieces from the January thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,280152.0.html

are:

St Cuthberts
Register of Proclamations
16 June 1820

Adam Torbet, labourer, Livingstone yards and Janet Allan, daughter of Andrew Allan, residing St Leonards Hill 43
That they are unmarried persons and not within the forbidden  degrees  of consanguinity and have resided in this Parish for the space of six weeks previous to the above date is

certified by

Robert Thomson, Elder as ?

I'm not sure when he might have gone to Ireland or his occupation  but this is a possible family in 1841. It is in Currie which is just to the south of Edinburgh-Corstorphine

51 Red Hugh's Cottages, Currie, Midlothian
Parish No - 682 ED 3 page 10

Adam Terbit, 40-44, Ag lab, b. Midlothian
Janet, 40-44, b. Scotland
Robert, 15-19, Ag lab
William, 10
Adam, 8
John, 7
Marion, 5

All children b. Midlothian

Gadget

Added - can't find a death post-1855 for him in Scotland so he either died before or could be your Adam  :-\

Hi Rory

That is good news- I'll check out the 1851 to see if he's still around.

Little Pipe Street, Portobello, Midlothan
684 Ed 7 Page 18

Adam Torbet, 50, cow feeder, b. Corstorphine
Janet, 50, b. Swinton, Fife
Adam 16, carter, b. Corstorphine
John, 16, Mason - apprentice, b. Corstorphine
Marion, 14, b. Corstorphine

Gadget

Looking at the children's names, it looks like his father might have been a Robert.

There seem to be three Roberts ( or maybe one with different wives  ::)  ):

Robert Torbet and Mary Furgus()on - Edinburgh Parish
Robert Torbet and Isobella Blackie - St Cuthberts
Robert Torbet and Elizabeth Baxter - Corstorphine

As he was b. Corstorphine, I'd opt for that one. They did have a daughter Marron (?Marion) bpt, Corstorphine in 1794 and Isobel in 1792.

I still don't see Adam although I've used wildcards  :-\

Gadget

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***