Author Topic: COWAN / COWEN / NICHOLSON in Thurles-Ballymurreen  (Read 4211 times)

Offline rebeccaclaire86

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not stuck, I'm ancestrally challenged...
    • View Profile
Re: COWAN / COWEN / NICHOLSON in Thurles-Ballymurreen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 21:40 BST (UK) »
I don't come on Rootschat often nowadays, but did the other day and happened to see this thread on the most recent and immediately recognised the surnames.  Karen we emailed a couple of years back about the Cowins, I hope you're keeping well!  My line is the descendants of John Cowin and Mary Switzer who settled in Halton County and who are almost certainly cousins to your Matthew Cowin. 

I was researching the Irish Cowins last year and found a really interesting entry in the Registry of Deeds here https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ9-2S3?i=332&cat=185720 (it starts in the bottom right) a deed from 1804 that was registered in 1818 for a Matthew Cowin of Clonoragh (my John Cowin came from Clonoura).  I'm not entirely clear on the significance of it, I think it's a lease, but it mentions a Joseph Switzer and references deceased brothers named Samuel and Richard.  Sadly doesn't mention my John though, but I still do think he was likely Matthew's brother.  Hope this is of interest!
Buckinghamshire; Bignell, Talbot, Janes, Gibbs
Cambrigeshire; Cockerton, Sharpe, Purkis
Hertfordshire; Rolph, Bigg, Marvell, Pateman, Hornsby, Jenkins
Norfolk; Crowfoot, Randlesome
London; Wyatt, Yarroll
Somerset; Date, Hodder, Leatherby, Webb
Suffolk; Palfrey, Yallop, Kerry, Codling, Steward, Pettitt
Ireland & Canada; Hanna, Teel, Cowin, Switzer