Author Topic: Early-Mid Victorian Photo? - date and touch up if possible  (Read 2416 times)

Offline jo68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early-Mid Victorian Photo? - date and touch up if possible
« on: Friday 19 September 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello, This is my first posting, I am hoping someone may be able to assist me in dating this photograph. It is on flimsy card 6" x 4 1/2 " with no photographer's or other identication marks anywhere. Because of this I thought it might be a copy an possibly enlargement of an earlier photo /tintype. Could it originate from the 1850's /1860's?  All comments /thoughts are very much appreciated.
Cramond, Black, Stewart, Ronaldson, Bennett, Lewthwaite, Carvel, Anderson, Smith,

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Re: Early-Mid Victorian Photo? - date and touch up if possible
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 08 21:23 BST (UK) »
I've still got L plates on but a wee try from me :D

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 08 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi jo, and welcome to Rootschat. A lovely old photo.

It would seem to be a portrait of a woman with her sons, a common pose. They are definitely related, because men and women are not seen touching unless related.

I think it's early 1860s...the skirt style, hairstyle, pose and surroundings all suggest it. But yes, I think it's a reprint. The early photos features a lot more curtain and floor in them...this has been cropped. The oval is also not typical of this period.

But I see a little bit of red stripe at the sides. Would it be possible to give us a scan of the whole thing, including the corners? Low-resolution is fine. Also, there is nothing at all printed on the back? Everything's a clue :D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 08 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

Welcome to Rootschat!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline jo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:41 BST (UK) »
Wow! :D Thank you  all so much. It looks so much better and it's fantastic to be able to see without all the dotty orange peel bits!! Interesting to see what different people choose to do too. I'm now trying to work out who they are. If they are mother and sons the only possibility from the family tree would date it as being taken at the latest in 1858, with the mother being about 53yrs old,  and the sons (27) and (25)  as the two sons emigrated from Scotland to South Africa in September of that year. Does that date sound impossibly early? The sons look younger that that to me but maybe I'm just getting old.
I'm not sure what the red stripe is - my dad has the original so I'll have to wait for another scan which can show the corners. I've attached one of the back, but it gives no clues, the only thing I can see is the bottom corner is square not rounded. The "47" was dad numbering it.. Thanks again, I can now try and find other photos and compare faces!! Jo  :)
Cramond, Black, Stewart, Ronaldson, Bennett, Lewthwaite, Carvel, Anderson, Smith,

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

Can't help noticing your avatar.  I would really like a crack at that pic if you'd like to post it!  :D

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline jo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 08 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks, the lady is Mary Jardine Cramond daughter of the younger son (right of earlier photo), I've also got a photo of his wife - would it be possible to merge photo of them into one so as to have husband and wife together?

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 08 15:09 BST (UK) »
Post them and we'll have a try.

I've just made a few repairs and enhanced the pic.

Caroline

Offline jo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 September 08 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Caroline she looks much better! Other two photos are below. It's the younger boy in the photo I want - think it's the one on the right. Thanks  ;D